PDA

View Full Version : Saiteksticks : convince us noobs.

trikke11
11-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Convince me, buccaneers of the skies : I consider a Saitek stick. X52, X45 or the Evo Force. I fear having one hand short with the X series. The thought of having to control things with two seperate devices and my keyboard on top freaks me out. Or am I premature (my middlename !) and will I not need my keyboard when using the X series ? I think I prefer the Evoversion just because of the fact that I can centre all the controls to one device. Help !

Kasdeya
11-10-2004, 01:11 PM
I donot own a Saitek, but have heard of them being rather nice. I have a CH setup, Fighterstick, Pro throttle and Pedals. The CH setup without Pedals can be tough, no rudder, but it has more switches then you can shake a stick at. The Saitek is, I assume, the same, though it does have a few sliders/rotaries that the CH's dont. Plus the X45 has a rocker switch for a Rudder control. I really havent heard/seen any complaints with that. the X52 is supposed to have a twist control for rudder, dont know much about that one.

As for one two many controls/ not enough hands, I wouldnt be too worried about that, there are enough buttons on the X45/X52, CH, and Thrustmaster's Hotas setup that you dont need to go to your keyboard short of the lesser commands like selecting engines and the such. I would definitely suggest you going to a X45/52, or something similar if you play this game for more than a couple hours a day. It adds so much to the game and less time trying to find Keys in the dark.

I cant say too much for the EVO, I havent heard any bad things about it but then its just one controller, I rather a Hotas setup with two. More buttons and axes and less bumbling for keys.

I hope this helps, but do wait for more input from others.

BTW I have had my CH setup for about a year and it hasnt even blinked at me wrong. Couldnt say that about the Logitech I had, Shame too, I like that stick(s).

Mispunt
11-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Don't buy one (Saitek, Cougar or CH)
I need all the advantage I can get.

altstiff
11-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I took bearcat's advice and got the X-45. I use the throttle as such and my MSFF2 as my stick.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Well for my money the X45 has served me well and I feel no need to change sticks right now. Bearcat will doubtless sugest you snag yourself a MS sidewinder force feed back if you can get it? But those things are becoming like hens teeth these days and I have never owned one so can't comment.
I must admit I am not a big fan of the look x52 but have only seen pictures. It has apparently better input response but the more I hear about it the less I like it in fact I think I may snag my self another x45 in reserve just incase I break my current one lol. Now if only they had made the x45 force feed back I would be in sim heaven.

Ohh before I go I really do recomend you get rudder pedals the rocker rudder / twist rudder is one of the biggest hiccups with the saitek series and for the sake of a little more cash rudder pedals are the better choice IMHO saiteck would have done better to add another dial on the throttle instead of the rudder rocker and I could of had three trim dials instead of two.

F19_Orheim
11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, if you search the foruum about the Saitek stick I am sure you will find loads of information.

You should not worry about having 2 devices, a throtte and a stick. You will get used to it, nt really a bi thing to adjust to other than they demand space on the desk http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

About the rudder rocker on the X45, well some users think it is great, I myself never founf it to be accurate enough. I bought a x45 after years with Logitech and beside the rocker I am very pleased. Now I got myself a pair of CH rudders and I have found that these are really what I have wanted for a looong time. X45 + ch rudders are great.

If you don't plan to buy a set of pedals and you are accustomed to the twistrudder, I guess the X52 is the one to go for.

x6BL_Brando
11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I use a CH Fighterstick & pedals and I can control all aircraft functions just from the stick - apart from mapping the "stationary" commands, like engine selection & start-up, to the keyboard. Using the triple mode switch and the shift button I can bind at least 72 actions to this stick, including multiple keypresses and "macro's" - that excludes the extra 24 possibles using the redundant hatswitch if you have TrackIR. Main requirement is a crib-sheet to remind me of what's where!

My main problem is that I only have a left hand (i lost the other arm in an accident) so I don't really have the option of a separate throttle. That said, it highlights the fact that you should be able to manage real easy! Anyhow, you should be able to leave off the throttle plenty long enough to do a bit of typing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I believe the X-series has pretty comprehensive mapping software as well, although the hardware quality leaves a fair bit to be desired. A buddy of mine just had his break after six months (250hrs max flight-time) although he is no kind of stick-jerker. Hopefully they'll fix it for him. I've had my CH gear for nearly two years now - no problems at all.

El Turo
11-10-2004, 04:20 PM
X52 is a great deal for the money.. it's definately worth the price if you only have a hair over $100 to spend and want a complete HOTAS experience. The X45 is good too, and for the money is a great deal.. but it has marked durability issues with the stick, and many folks really dislike the rocker-rudder.

I would strongly recommend the X52 if for nothing else than the superior construction and sensors being used (and the twist rudder for slightly better control than the rocker). Then, I'd save up for the CH Pro Pedals and feel content in your total HOTAS nirvana.

=]

I bought a CH Fighterstick and have been happy with it, but I'm not thrilled with the button/hat placement (which is a little ackward even for me with my large hands), and I didn't particularly care for the lack of stick resistance.

I use the X45 throttle and will likely buy a X52 to replace it if it dies (for about the same cost as a CH throttle anyway) because I love the rotaries and overall ergonomics of it.. and I wouldn't mind going back to the Saitek stick anyway for the improved ergonomics and stick tension. If it breaks, I've still got my CH backup.

Of course, I'd rather buy a 6800GT instead. Hehe.. so let's hope my throttle holds out a while!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Regards,

~T.

WTE_DuStA
11-10-2004, 07:53 PM
i own an x45 and wish it was in the bin. Cheaply made. the joints are made of plastic and i had to dismantle mine and get a razor and shave off some plastic as the joystick was very sticky when centered and was needed to make mintue adjustments for shooting. I would not recommmend a saitek and go for CH. More money but like the old addage says u get what u pay for

Simjock
11-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I fly keyborad %70 of time. I go to the stick for take off, landing, and combat.

Now, I can take off or land with any stick out there, trust me, I'm useing a peice-o-s##t Logitek while I wait for my X-52.

The best advice I can give is know your switchology. Yes, "switchology" is real word. It's used be the military and other technical trades in refering to efficiancy on your interface.

"switchology" >Switch-ol-ogy>is the study of electronical interface with a machine.

aminx
11-10-2004, 10:31 PM
i ordered yesterday from germany the Saitek evo force and X52.As soon as they arrive i will take my logitech wingman down to the atomic shelter store room and just leave it there or give it to someone who needs a stick, i wont miss it nor do i have any good memories of it.My ff2 packed up last summer and there is none left around.Logitech is the only stick readily available to the ignorant masses on the sheves here in europe and they take full advantage of this strategy"prices*.My son stills uses his MS ff2.
aminx

triggerhappyfin
11-11-2004, 03:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mispunt:
Don't buy one (Saitek, Cougar or CH)
I need all the advantage I can get. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree...go on flyin with ur keyboard http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

El Turo
11-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I met a guy online once that actually flew with his mouse. After giving him a few pointers he was even able to stay alive for an entire flight and land, even if he couldn't shoot anything down.

That alone was amazing to witness.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif