PDA

View Full Version : tech stuff

krsinex
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Ok, so I am a newbie after all. I need to upgrade my Ram, I only have 64 MB, talk about a slow computer to get through these worlds.

So, my question, what is the best brand to buy for my older computer?

Bought it in '99, has 9.51 GB drive, 2.6 left open after URU. Pentium 3 processor. Gateway Essentials.

Thanks in advance.

krsinex
11-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Ok, so I am a newbie after all. I need to upgrade my Ram, I only have 64 MB, talk about a slow computer to get through these worlds.

So, my question, what is the best brand to buy for my older computer?

Bought it in '99, has 9.51 GB drive, 2.6 left open after URU. Pentium 3 processor. Gateway Essentials.

Thanks in advance.

Kwartha
11-19-2003, 11:33 PM
http://www.crucial.com

The above site is the best place to go for ram upgrades. They have a very easy selection tool that suggests what type of ram is suited to your motherboard, and their ram is top quality. Unless you can order an upgrade straight from the manufacturer of your computer, or through a local store (which will install and test it for you), I would buy from Crucial.

Kawartha

krsinex
11-20-2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks so much, Kawartha. I checked it out and it is an easy to use site. I wonder, is ram easy to install?? I just installed my first video card upgrade this week, so I am pretty new to this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kawartha:
http://www.crucial.com

The above site is the best place to go for ram upgrades. They have a very easy selection tool that suggests what type of ram is suited to your motherboard, and their ram is top quality. Unless you can order an upgrade straight from the manufacturer of your computer, or through a local store (which will install and test it for you), I would buy from Crucial.

Kawartha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maztec
11-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Ram is easy to install.. but I uhh, have serious doubts about you using that computer for playing this game.

What is your video card? You didn't mention that.

What speed is your P3 processor? Since it's a P3 I can pretty well assume it should work.

Sartori23
11-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Yes, RAM is easy to install. Just make sure the notches on the stick line up with the bumps in the slot before you push it in.

Sartori23

Kwartha
11-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Crucial has some good install guides. Not any trickier than installing a video card.

And ground any static electricity by touching a grounded object first. I like to leave the system plugged in (but switched off at the power supply), so that I can just keep one hand on the case. Nothing like zapping your new stick of memory (or your motherboard).

Fabadoom
11-20-2003, 02:38 AM
krsinex !

thought we'd lost you when the beta testers moved into the old forum. Corsair or crucial memory is good and it's very easy to install just be gentle but firm with it.