PDA

View Full Version : Video P-47 straffing

D.H.S.
02-18-2005, 04:33 PM
If you didn't know, most WWII Fighters loaded only 9 yards of bullets into their gun for their missions. Rolling in on a juicy target you might "give them the whole 9 yards" of ammo in one pass.

Thus the phraze "Give them the whole 9 yards".

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please refrain from linking to a personal website without the consent of that site's owner.</span>

VMF-214_HaVoK
02-18-2005, 04:37 PM
You can really see the awesome firepower the .50s can display. I sure wish our Brownings in the games sounded like that.

CKY_86
02-18-2005, 04:55 PM
omg http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif that first explosion realy shows how devestating the shockwave is

fherathras
dang! that house turned into snitzel fast!

FRAGAL
dude i just wanna know what the pilot hit in that first bit thats a huge BANG!!! fuel dump?

fherathras
02-18-2005, 04:56 PM
by the way, do you or anybody else, for that matter, have any more clips of this nature?

FRAGAL
02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
bump on that one i want some more clips like that

D.H.S.
02-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Toight like a toiger!

Badsight.
02-18-2005, 07:01 PM
D.H.S . . . . . .

if you abuse willeys site he might just lock that index down , by all means look at all those movies , but dont go posting the link everywhere

edit it out

Heavy_Weather
02-19-2005, 06:32 AM
very nice, thx for sharing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S 8
02-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Those sounds,are they put on afterwards or did the camera record sounds too?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-19-2005, 08:16 AM
That is awesome. I don't think the cameras had sound but the sound effects that got added are awesome. Some more stuff:

http://guncam2002.tripod.com/

han freak solo
02-19-2005, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by D.H.S.:
If you didn't know, most WWII Fighters loaded only 9 yards of bullets into their gun for their missions. Rolling in on a juicy target you might "give them the whole 9 yards" of ammo in one pass.

Thus the phraze "Give them the whole 9 yards". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never knew where that came from. I always thought American Football, except 9 yards is always 1 yard short. Finally, I am knowledgable!

Fliegeroffizier
02-19-2005, 01:34 PM
D.H.S.

While I appreciate your interest in sharing your discovery of that bit of P47 guncam footage, I will ask that you Please Edit your post deleting those Direct-Links to files/movies on my Site...

I had not, to date,gone to the effort of "Locking" certain folders on my Site. ... I have not wanted to go that route. Downloading of specific individual movies of interest has been possible up to now, but massive downloading from my archives/folders is NOT something which I would have wanted to encourage.

It would be just as easy to give people the URL for the Entry page for my Site(See my Sigblock below)..once there, it is VERY easy to find the Real/Actual guncam films and documentaries sections......
Additionally, folks might be interested in seeing the Other features of my Site

Edited by me Sun Evening...Situation has been resolved..thanks to all...

-HH-Dubbo
02-19-2005, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by D.H.S.:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Misconception. Which aircraft had ammo belts of 9 yards?

Fliegeroffizier
02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
DHS and moderator...thanks for deleting those links..

Folks interested in seeing guncam footage are welcome to visit my Site. It seems that as of this evening, and after those links were deleted, my Site seems now to be up and running again...

Zyzbot
02-20-2005, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Dubbo:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Misconception. Which aircraft had ammo belts of 9 yards? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are probably correct on this...the origin of that phrase is often disputed:

One source says:

"The origins of the expression are unknown, but various theories are popularly held as to the root of it. One of the more common of these is that the expression dates from the Second World War, where the "nine yards" was the full length of a machine-gun ammunition belt, and to "go the full nine yards" was to use it up in its entirety. The expression, however, has only been dated back to 1966 (in US Air Force slang recorded in Vietnam) and it is unlikely it could have been in common use in the 1940s without being recorded either then or in the next twenty years.

Other suggested origins have included sources as diverse as the size of cement mixers, the manufacture of kilts, and the structure of certain sailing vessels (where "yard" is short for yardarm, not for the distance)."

Other sources say that it dates back to the time of Henrty VIII and has to do with the amount of soil removed from a graveyard in order to bury 2 people together.