PDA

View Full Version : Tips for flying Bf109

Mike8686
07-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Well you guys really helped me when I asked the same question about my favorite aircraft, the FW190, now I ask the same thing but about the BF109, G2 G10 and K4 in particular. What are good tactics to use in these aircraft, what are they best at and how do u exploit it. Any helpful tips for using these will be appreciated. I bet a lot of ur suggestions will involve BnZ, how the heck do you do that on a 109 tho, it manuevers TERRIBLE at high speeds! Just gimme the do's and don'ts u know?

Mike8686
07-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Well you guys really helped me when I asked the same question about my favorite aircraft, the FW190, now I ask the same thing but about the BF109, G2 G10 and K4 in particular. What are good tactics to use in these aircraft, what are they best at and how do u exploit it. Any helpful tips for using these will be appreciated. I bet a lot of ur suggestions will involve BnZ, how the heck do you do that on a 109 tho, it manuevers TERRIBLE at high speeds! Just gimme the do's and don'ts u know?

alarmer
07-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Havent flyed K4 that much mostly just 42 & 43 bf109 variants but one only tip I can give you is.

Situation awarness. Before you make B&Z check for dots in your own altitude first. Tap some positive trim to your plane since the elevators get heavy quickly in dive, you should also throttle back before enemy gets too close possibly even use combat flaps. Then as you pull up open throttle, move your head to watch your up 6 oclock position. During the climb do little spiral to see if anybody is following you and check straight up too to check for incoming B&Z enemies.

Even with this method you will not get nowhere near the same altitude so you should probably move bit away from the fight zone if there are plenty of dots move away and get back your altitude advantage. If no dots at altitude higher of you do another B&Z if you see it wise.

One more tip, apply your WEP before you take off, WEP must be applied at low RPM and is activated only when power goes higher than 100%. This overheat engine quickly so I would fly with 90-100% power but when in climb or trouble hit the 110%.

Bf109 was suppose to be B&Z plane but at the moment we have a freak plane. Example G2 turns better than it should but is worse in B&Z (thanks to concrete elevators) than it should.

Just gotta learn to live with it.

Did I mention the concrete elevators http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/354.gif

[This message was edited by alarmer on Thu July 15 2004 at 11:21 PM.]

Farkitt_
07-16-2004, 12:29 AM
I think you might be under false impressions about the Elevators.

When your diving at speeds of up to 500-600 Kph then the controll surfaces do get heavy, hence why hydraulic assistance was made. The 109 was a great turner, a real dogfighter of an aircraft, but it was less manouverable than a Spitfire or Hurricane, and possible some of the Russain aircraft I don't know. But it matches up to what I expect of it.

http://www.jacksonharrison.co.uk/BoB2/Battle_personnel/Profiles/RAF/images/lacey.jpg

"You do that again, I'll boot your bollocks till they ring like the church bells at St Mary's. Next time, Ding ****" -Fanny Barton in "A Good Clean Fight" written By Derek Robinson