PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on cockpit flying, gunnery practice, and online

rettungferris
11-19-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm new to IL-2. So far I can land. Take off. Working on carrier landings w/ the wildcat.

Thanks to bearcat / skycat for that huge thread. I read that for a week and got on HL, and flying about in IL-2.

Also I fly with all real flight effects checked, because bearcat said its the best way.

Some questions:

Whats the best way to practice gunnery? Any tips? I got my convergence worked out (150 machine guns, 300 wing cannons, 400 m nose anything)

I usually go FMV and go 1 vs 1 ace AI zero or rata's because they manuever so well.

Or I put 16 ratas on empty, go unlimited ammo and and try to hit them (by using bursts, not waterhose).

The no cockpit view is weird. It's like True™ MAX (like Ruben H ) but I crash if ground pounding, takeoff, or landing. The carrier ops are funny. Wrapping myself around the island . . .

However I do notice you can time, track, and gun things down easier but the crashing when I'm around 300 meters off the ground, take off or landing . . . and losing orientation of position in night missions isn't worth it.

Also online I tend to ram opposing fighters, or clip them because depth perception is zero with no cockpit frames. I wish ramming wasn't a kickable offense, I mean I died and so did they, so its no big deal.

I don't like padlocking because the view sticks and then I'm flying at some weird angle or kissing the floor.

So I'm flying cockpit with externals. Any tips to keep track of fighter planes? I bombers and transports are fairly easy. But fighter planes slip in and out of view and I can't see, and we all know what happens after that.

Also any advice for lead and deflection? (in full cockpit) In some planes, such as the FW 190, its hard to track shots, and flying upside down is hard since its easier to pull up than push down.

And last is online. I've got the 4.09m, thank you Team D. And I've still got 4.08 offical (backup).

I'm waiting for the 4.09 b1m update (other posts / people say its around the corner).

So I'm out of those 4.09 b1m servers for now.

Anyone on other cockpit on servers people that are 4.08? (I know 4.09 offical isn't server worthy as the admins hate it until Team D releases a server patch as one guy in HL told me).

I tried those no cockpit servers it has lots of people, the no cockpit view, where germans could fly tempests and the French had Bf 109's. Everyone seems to fly this LA-7 or the 1945 Spitfire. Or had everything unchecked . . . I didn't like it at all.

And there was this red side PBY sea plane that was the ulitmate decoy, everytime someone went after it the LA or spitfire would gun them down. It wasn't AI because it was talking in chat.

I like planesets limited to the appropriate side. I could stand having the time distortion like 1945 planes in a 1943 era type battle but keep Axis planes Axis and Allied Allied . . .

BillSwagger
11-19-2009, 03:28 AM
It seems you have a lot of it already figured out, and many folks here are happy to help.

I will just pick one thing that helped me with full cockpit modes. Open pit you can pretty much aim straight for your target, but with full pit he's likely to disappear under your cowling. Sometimes when i'm in pursuit its better to trail to one side where its easier to see out of the front the plane until your close enough to keep him in your site.

sort of like this.
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww99/billswagger/spi_view.jpg

Col.BBQ
11-19-2009, 03:41 AM
To solve your deflection problem, try to hit those unarmed ratas at different angles. Go from the front of the rats at a offset angle and then try to hit them from the sides as they flyby.

Assign a key to center view if you are using padlock. You can view forward quickly to catch your bearings then go back to viewing your target.

Ramming opposition planes is not exactly a kick able offense unless you are doing it repeatably. If you are being kicked after a ram, go to another server since it may have a strict setting for ramming attacks.

AndyJWest
11-19-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm waiting for the 4.09 b1m update (other posts / people say its around the corner).

4.09b1m was a beta patch, predating the latest 9.09m. A lot of servers are still using it at the moment, but it is likely to be replaced either by stock 4.09m or 4.09m + mods.

As for ramming, most online players don't like deliberate rams, and you will risk causing friction if you do it too often. If you do it accidentally, apologise in chat...

F19_Orheim
11-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Joe90 have made a nice instructional movie about this using IL2 and Moviestorm.. I don't have the original link to his movie right here, but we have his movie "Bag the hun" under our "educational" meny (http://f19vs.se/page.php?67) @ our website (amongs many other interesting movies, documentaries and instructional movies).
Hop that is ok with you Joe.

It might give you some clues about gunnery and convergence.

Bearcat99
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Look towards the bottom of The Nugget's Guide.. just before the Hyperlobby section.. you will find links to the video by Joe 90 Bag the Hun, The RAF Gunnery Manual that it is based on and SC - Sniper's corner.. an Excell program that calculates angles.. it is very good. Also use the tips in hands on 3 & 4...

Vexicles
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
change your cannons to lower or the same as your machine guns... use your guns as tracers to guide in your cannons. Less ammo, and slower rate of fire... using the cannons closer in will mean more hits if the guns are hitting at convergence then the cannons will too.
i have mine out to 220 for guns and 200 for cannons. but i take out alot of ground targets with the guns and you need them kicked out a bit.

Lean your angles of attack and the % chance of hitting your target for the given angle... its sometimes better to wait for the right shot, than to spray them and hope for the best.

Ba5tard5word
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Practice, practice, practice. If I go for a couple weeks without playing Il-2, when I pick it up again I can't hit a barn wall. The game really rewards frequent practice.

AndyJWest
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Practice, practice, practice. If I go for a couple weeks without playing Il-2, when I pick it up again I can't hit a barn wall. The game really rewards frequent practice.

Absolutely agree with that. I'd not been online much for a few weeks, and my aim was even more useless than normal when I last tried. A few offline QMB sessions seem to have helped a bit since, and have the advantage that noone else sees my hopless initial efforts...

Choctaw111
11-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello and welcome.
You will find a great deal of friendly as fast help here.
You asked about gunnery and THE best way to practice gunnery is to turn on unlimited ammo and set up some FRIENDLY bombers and fighters in the Quick Mission Builder.
Once you can shoot these down with no problems, change your opponents to ENEMY bombers and fighters and be sure to put them on the NOVICE setting.
Keep practicing and keep increasing the difficulty as you become more proficient.

Insuber
11-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I tried those no cockpit servers it has lots of people, the no cockpit view, where germans could fly tempests and the French had Bf 109's. Everyone seems to fly this LA-7 or the 1945 Spitfire. Or had everything unchecked . . . I didn't like it at all.

I like planesets limited to the appropriate side. I could stand having the time distortion like 1945 planes in a 1943 era type battle but keep Axis planes Axis and Allied Allied . . .

Apart from fun dogfight servers, there are also serious no-cockpit servers out there in HL. Check for instance UKDedicated 1. It has historical planeset, good missions with objectives favoring some rudimentary team tactics, mostly nice admins ensuring a clean environment.

Regards,
Insuber

TS_Sancho
11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Darts IL2 gunnery article hosted over at Sim HQ is a helpful read as well.

http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_312a.html

AndyJWest
11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Check for instance UKDedicated 1
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I think probably my server of choice at the moment (if I can get my aim back...)

UKDedicated 2 would suit me better in some ways, but they are running mods, and I've sworn off them for now...

rettungferris
11-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Ok thanks for the tips . . . I got the bag the hun pdf and this one in german (it has a lady to show nose off angle LOL).

That really helped. And the dart stuff. Man Dart is so good.