PDA

View Full Version : 402 take-off issues

ataloss
10-24-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi Guys,

Having recently reinstalled PF stand alone I am struggling on take-off! Was last playing on 303 or 4, can't remember, but it does feel better. Once airbourne, I'm fine after tweaking the trim levels, but the chances of successfully taking off are about 10%.

I usually add 7 clicks of right rudder trim, power to 30%, lock the tail wheel, and chocks away. I gradually increase the power to 65%, get to 180 and take-off. But then the plane rolls to the left, and no amount of right stick corrects this. This happens to any plane I fly too. Is my technique wrong, or am I unfamilair with the FM, or is it something else?

For reference, my joystick settings are:
Roll: 27 38 52 63 69 75 83 88 93 100
Pitch: 28 44 55 62 70 79 88 93 96 100
Yaw: 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 plus 7 deadband

Thanks for any help in advance.

dieg777
10-24-2005, 05:38 AM
I was having the same problem until I was advised to try these settings

Roll=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Pitch=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Yaw=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100

and if still unsteady try 3 clicks of filtering on the rudder yaw.

You need to gently feed in right rudder as your speed increases to stop the swing to the left and just at take off GENTLY move stick to right to counter dip in wing

hope this helps

Arm_slinger
10-24-2005, 07:07 AM
What joy stick do you have? . Look at the alierons while on the ground, if they deflected while the joystick is centred, then it's something with the joy stick... i think.

I had this with my Saitek X-52 in where the stick would put an input halfway across the right hand part of the X- axis. No amount of input could sort this, nor did a reinstall of the saitek software. In the end I sent the stick back to Saitek, they said there was no problems ( i think they replaced something mind).

Sadly though, i cant test it yet as I dont have my PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Look into this in the configuration screens for the joystick as well. It could be that FB is taking ontrol for some very strange reason.

Hope this helps

BenvZijl
10-24-2005, 07:21 AM
I have the same problem with my CH hotas, the change of taking off is about 10%(i need to full trimm to left or right side my rudder)

ataloss
10-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Arm_slinger:
What joy stick do you have? . Look at the alierons while on the ground, if they deflected while the joystick is centred, then it's something with the joy stick... i think.

I've got a Saitek Cyborg Evo, which was well behaved the last time I used it prior to reinstalling. Was stored standing up too. The PF joystick setup shows it centring OK. Might try the other joystick settings too. Will check the alierons on the ground - not sure if I had adjusted the trim levels for this on the ground or in the air, once up. You could be onto something.

All the planes I've flown did drop to the left in the air, but adjusting the trim levels sorts it out. Do we have to adjust all trim before a successful take-off, not knowing a planes characteristics? Is this just me, or is it my joystick, or is it the 402 FM? Still a little puzzled...

IL2-chuter
10-24-2005, 09:56 AM
In takeoff just like I do in a taildragger in RL . . . I just gun it and go. A 109 pilot once said he would takeoff with full right rudder and full throttle and if the nose started to swing to the left (while holding full right rudder) he cut the throttle a bit till it straightened out. That will work in the game, too. Less right rudder to go left, less throttle to go right. And, just as in a real taildragger, don't be shy with the rudder.

Oh, I forgot, you can lock the tailwheel on many aircraft if you aren't already doing that.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Chuck_Older
10-24-2005, 09:56 AM
I have 4.02m and have flown the following from takeoff to landing:

Hawk 81
P-40 B and C
P-51B C and D
P-47D
F4U1a
FW 190 A-4
Bf 109E-4
Bf 109G-2
Me 163
Me 262

No strange hard to control take off rolls, I have not changed joystick settings since 4.01, and the only change I made from the default settings in 4.01 is I put filtering on my pitch axis

Y'all have a more basic problem in my opinion. Something's wrong with your install

joeap
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I think it's the joystick. I have an Evo and sometimes when I start up Pf for some reason the joystick is out of kilter, what I mean is if you go to the input screen the red box which shows where the compter's response to the js and thus the plane is, is off to the side and doesn't match the green. If you don't make a few circles with the joystick and start to fly your plane will be permanently out of wack for the flight.

tiefling19
10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
got a Saitek ST290 Pro and got the same problem I always seems to fly to the left, no matter what I do. :|

VW-IceFire
10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
If its the 4.02 patch you might have gotten the bad install like a whole bunch of us did.

Search around for the solutions...

roybaty
10-24-2005, 06:33 PM
My control spec are below, and I too notice my rudder off a degrees left, even though my CH Controller Mgr. shows my Pro Pedals USB are perfectly centered. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Bartolomeo_ita
10-24-2005, 06:59 PM
no problems for me, why? why? why??

ataloss
10-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Well, had a few goes last night and was about 30% successful, after tweaking the joystick settings as mentioned above.

Tried the 'gun it and go' tactic and was catastrophically unsuccussful, usually deviating badly on the runway and then flipping on take-off (battling at the controls all the time).

I've been flying P40's, P51's, P38, Zero's and Ki-84's so it's not the FM. Might try the bombing campaigns (B25, Betty, A20, Beaufighter) and see if they have the same flipping characteristics - might be able to catch it in time...

Got the 402 patch from ubi.com after they had sorted the mis-match with file sizes, so assumed it would be ok.

Am beginning to think it's either the joystick itself or the saitek drivers as there seem to be other people with saitek sticks having similar problems. Will recreate the Saitek profile and check for any saitek driver updates, and see if this helps...Might fiddle with the deadband settings too.

stansdds
10-25-2005, 03:33 AM
Try using a little right rudder during takeoff to compensate for the engine torque. Beginning with the 4.x series of patches, engine torque is modeled and is a serious threat to the pilot who is not on top of the aircraft at all times. Right aileron will do nothing to help maintain straight and level flight during takeoff, it is the rudder that will keep you straight.

Be careful upon landing too. At slow speeds a rapid advance of the throttle can bring on a torque roll, again, compensate with right rudder.

The 4.x patches do make the planes behave less like arcarde planes and more like real planes and it can drive a person nuts trying to re-learn.

alert_1
10-25-2005, 04:16 AM
I recalibarate EVO (in Windows screen) everytime I start my rig. It helps me a lot.

ataloss
10-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Try using a little right rudder during takeoff to compensate for the engine torque....Right aileron will do nothing to help maintain straight and level flight during takeoff, it is the rudder that will keep you straight.

I usually add about 7 clicks right rudder trim to counteract this, but the right aileron is to counteract the plane flipping left on take-off. Is this wrong?

The 4.x patches do make the planes behave less like arcarde planes and more like real planes and it can drive a person nuts trying to re-learn.

You're not wrong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

strelnik_Sipi
10-25-2005, 05:05 AM
Rudder trim is not enough to counteract torgue on take off. Do you use rudder at all? You have to kick the rudder to straighten the plane. Is almost full rudder on take off with BF109.

ataloss
10-25-2005, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by strelnik_Sipi:
Rudder trim is not enough to counteract torgue on take off. Do you use rudder at all? You have to kick the rudder to straighten the plane. Is almost full rudder on take off with BF109.

Don't have access to BF109's yet, but I do use rudder as well as trim, and can get down the runway nice and straight, but upon take-off any fighter plane abrubtly flips to the left, even when fully counteracting it on the joystick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Bombers do it too, but to a lesser extent, and I can catch it in time.

roybaty
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM
The problem ain't torque, I and many others can see the rudder is off a few degrees in external views with the engine off. Somehow the game rudder input calibration is outta synch with the controller's center.

I have read posts from many who have claimed doing a complete re-install from scratch solves the issue but that is such a pain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

ataloss
10-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by roybaty:
The problem ain't torque, I and many others can see the rudder is off a few degrees in external views with the engine off. Somehow the game rudder input calibration is outta synch with the controller's center.

I have read posts from many who have claimed doing a complete re-install from scratch solves the issue but that is such a pain

Gotta agree a full re-install has sorted it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif(thankfully I've only got PF stand alone atm) as the rudder was way off on external view; ailerons were ok though. Also using these joystick settings helped too:

Roll=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Pitch=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Yaw=1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
with 2 clicks of Yaw Filtering.

Was happily taking off, flying and killing - now if I can just perfect landing with the undercarriage intact!

Thanks guys, great community http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif