PDA

View Full Version : Ubi Sues Disk Manufacturer For Piracy

WhiteKnight77
08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Ubisoft sues over Assassin's Creed leak (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6195570.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6195570&tag=nl.e513).

Apparently an employee of the disk manufacturer snuck an early version of the PC version home and released it via the internet. Now Ubi wants money for breach of contract and damage to it's reputation due to reviews slamming Ubi for a crash part way through the game due to a bug that was purposely put there by Ubi.

Ubi has more to look at besides some jerk releasing pre-retail code into the wild. The quality of their recent games is less than desirable right now and this lawsuit will not make up for that. Maybe it's time for the heads of the company to take a deeper look into the reasons why their games are not selling well instead of blaming just piracy. While I haven't played it, I hear Assassin's Creed wasn't that great. We all know that Vegas and Vegas 2 had major problems and bugs in the first were not fixed for the second version.

Kaxen6
08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
Ubi has more to look at besides some jerk releasing pre-retail code into the wild. The quality of their recent games is less than desirable right now and this lawsuit will not make up for that. Maybe it's time for the heads of the company to take a deeper look into the reasons why their games are not selling well instead of blaming just piracy. While I haven't played it, I hear Assassin's Creed wasn't that great. We all know that Vegas and Vegas 2 had major problems and bugs in the first were not fixed for the second version.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif So you're saying just because you think their games are bad, that's it's not worth suing for leaking it out? >_> My art is crap compared to others' but I'd still go beat the **** out of people for stealing it.

And plenty of pirating morons came to the forums complaining about a Jerusalem crash... >_>

Skybox
08-07-2008, 03:26 AM
Greetings!

WhiteKnight this has nothing to do with YOUR claim that Ubisoft's games suck. No matter how one's computer software sucked, if it's commercial, no one has the right to steal it. I personally encourage Ubisoft's efforts to pursue this particular individual who's intelligence is equal to the AI of the foes in TES IV.

Regarding Assassin's Creed, the game is very nice, not the best but provides a lot of fun for the money invested. Not to mention intense graphics and an awesome adapting skeletal animation system. The only thing that has left me disappointed was the AI, NPC's are really dumb... But, from the experience of developing an AI module for my framework, it's no easy task. I am not a fanboy, but I can say the game is very, very entertaining.

drfeelgood8849
08-07-2008, 04:04 AM
why do people come her to complain anyway? don't they know that we really don't care?

caswallawn_2k7
08-07-2008, 06:44 AM
I find it funny that he uses a leak by a disc making firm to say ubi sucks when they did a fix for another game that was having problems that was that much worse they actualy had to remove the fix.

WhiteKnight77
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Sure, Ubi should sue for the breach of contract (the allowing of an employee to sneak code out of the building). I do not advocate piracy and honestly, dispise them as it costs me more money in the long run.

Still, I do not see Ubi selling 700,000 copies of this game. Do you? I didn't buy this game as it does not appeal to me. Those who pirated it were not going to buy it anyway. As for Ubi's damaged reputation, they have been giving themseleves black eyes for years, long before AC was developed and published.

Take a look around at other forums to see how well other games are doing. Vegas is a disaster. GRAW had mixed reviews for all platforms. Splinter Cell has gone downhill even (the latest has been delayed, apparently to redo the game and ditch the crowd stealth that AC has and apparently didn't work out to well). SHIII caused Ubi to cease using Starforce CP (actually it was the $5 Million lawsuit, that along with the real threat of people not buying games with it).

Ask yourself this. If Ubi doesn't suck, how often did they help y'all with bugs found in AC? Did they answer your questions or did they just create a thread asking for feedback on bugs? Are they still supporting this game? I see that there are those asking for more DLC. Is there even mod support for the PC version?

I see some of the same questions asked here as I do in other forums, like the insert the disk threads.

I also posted this here to allow y'all to see what is happening in the AC universe, not to just say that Ubi sucks.

alteremagam
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
WOW

caswallawn_2k7
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I see some of the same questions asked here as I do in other forums, like the insert the disk threads.
the insert disc error is caused by secure rom that is owned by, created by and licenced from Sony so realy it has nothing to do with ubi other than them choosing to use it instead of other copy protection programs that have all had hundreds of complaints against them.

BOTA-16
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
the insert disc error is caused by secure rom that is owned by, created by and licenced from Sony so realy it has nothing to do with ubi other than them choosing to use it instead of other copy protection programs that have all had hundreds of complaints against them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has everything to do with UBI, after all it is UBI's name on the box. They are solely responsible for the quality that is contained in the box. They may not have made the SecurROM software but it's up to them to make sure it meets certain standards for quality when they license it. Then why don't all games that have SecureROM copy protection give the "insert disc error"?

How can UBI complain about piracy when they themselves posted a cracked *.exe (originally released by Reloaded) file to fix Direct2Drive Vegas 2 insert disc error.

BTOG46
08-07-2008, 12:55 PM
cas, that error happens with other copy protections too, not just Securom, and it's usually triggered by something on the users computer, anything from copying/imaging software, to a motherboard or bios that sees a SATA drive as a SCSI one, which causes the protection to assume a copied disc image is being used.
You must surely remember it happened with Settlers 6 as well, and that uses Tages copy protection, although with Tages, it allows users with genuine games, a way of running the game without the disc, as a way past this type of error.
WK has a valid point about patch support though, Ubi seem to have no consistent policy on this, some games receive decent and continued patch support, while others appear to be abandoned quite soon after release, it's this inconsistency that has upset members in some game forums.

caswallawn_2k7
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by BTOG46:
cas, that error happens with other copy protections too

thats why I said the others have had hundreds of complaints about them as well.

@athenian : yep and after a couple of hours/days it was pulled and put under investigation so it was probly a case of the right hand not knowing what the left foot is doing.

BOTA-16
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Both hands knew what the other was doing. It's just UBI trying to take the easy way out. They did the same thing when it came to the Stand Alone Dedicated Server (SADS) program for Vegas 1. They didn't release one so people could host on a dedicated server that didn't require a video card, so someone in the community created his own and posted it on the forums and magically in the next patch for Vegas 1 UBI included the SADS program but it turned out to be the exact same one as the community user posted.

caswallawn_2k7
08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
well if you want to get realy picky valve makes a fortune on counter strike yet the origonal version was a user made mad but they passed it off as made by valve and sold it as part fo sevral half life packages. the fact is all firms do it but the fact is if something like that shows up and works is ubi sponsoring it and putting it up for download not a good thing as it makes more people aware of it meaning it has a much higher usage.

BTOG46
08-07-2008, 02:34 PM
If you take the time to look at the Terms of Use, you'll find Ubi just did what the TOU allows them to do with content posted on their site.

"By submitting or posting Communications to a Site, including, but not limited to, a character name, you automatically grant Ubi the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Communications (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. In addition, you warrant that any and all so-called "moral rights" in the Content have been waived. You hereby waive all rights to any claim against Ubi for any alleged or actual infringements of any proprietary rights, rights of privacy and publicity, moral rights, and rights of attribution in connection with such Communications."

WhiteKnight77
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BTOG46:
If you take the time to look at the Terms of Use, you'll find Ubi just did what the TOU allows them to do with content posted on their site.

"By submitting or posting Communications to a Site, including, but not limited to, a character name, you automatically grant Ubi the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Communications (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. In addition, you warrant that any and all so-called "moral rights" in the Content have been waived. You hereby waive all rights to any claim against Ubi for any alleged or actual infringements of any proprietary rights, rights of privacy and publicity, moral rights, and rights of attribution in connection with such Communications."

Still, Ubi could have done the right thing and acknowledged that the comminity fixed their game. This isn't the first time that the community has fixed one of their published games. Way back when, SHII and DC (Destroyer Commander) were broke. Intead of fixing it themselves, Ubi actually did something nice, they released the source code to some modders who went in and fixed both games. DC had a patch from the developers that allowed DC to be played online with SHII, but there were bugs. Said bugs were fixed due to the release of said code. Sadly, those days of Ubi doing something nice has gone. Fans have been creating workarounds and fixes for Ubi's games for some time now.

Games should be released finished and with major bugs quashed before the retail disk hits the store shelves.

Cons72
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by drfeelgood8849:
why do people come her to complain anyway? don't they know that we really don't care?

Ubi's perfect demographic. The consumer that just doesn't care. That is how UBI is able to keep releasing inferior quality games.

Or maybe drfeelgood8849 is a Ubisoft employee, letting us know that Ubi really doesn't care? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

the_assassin_07
08-11-2008, 11:38 AM
No, he's a German secret agent leading us in to his web of lies then giving us a poisonous cookie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

XxRTEKxX
08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
While I haven't played it, I hear Assassin's Creed wasn't that great. We all know that Vegas and Vegas 2 had major problems and bugs in the first were not fixed for the second version.

Assassin's Creed is an amazing game.