PDA

View Full Version : 3 Flaws in Assassin's Creed *Gameplay Spoilers??* LR

MakoProject
04-06-2008, 09:12 PM
(The *gameplay spoilers* is because I don't know how people feel about spoilers on here. Some forums are totally anal about it.) Read the whole thing if you're bored its long.

First of all let me say that I did thoroughly enjoy this game, at least the first time through, despite its flaws. It was one of the funnest games I've played in awhile. Everything looked and sounded amazing as well, and the story was compelling enough to finish! Yay!

Anyway, I find the three biggest flaws to be
1: The Difficulty
2: The Lack of unlockables or significant progression.
3: The Stealth System

1: The first thing I heard about assassin's creed was, "The combat is realistic... Your guy cant take very many sword hits before he goes down." "If your in a bad situation with lots of guards you have to run to survive." ALL not true.

The problems with difficulty are many, but the main problem is the combat. As soon as you are slightly better than an ******ed baby seal with no fins at pressing the counter attack button, there is absolutley NO need to run from guards,(which IMHO was one of the funner parts, trying to escape)
You can stand their all day with one hand beind your back and kill 50+ guards with no trouble at all. Sure the combos look spectacular, and everything was well animated and fluid, but it ceases to be a challenge, and then there is no reason to hide at all.
Make the guards attack more than one at a time... While your back is turned, why wouldnt they take a shot at you? The combat is just ridiculously easy.

Second within the difficulty, its just too easy to escape if you have too. You can jump in a "roof-garden" right next to a guard and as they all come up they say "Where did he go? Well, I guess there's no reason to check in this obvious hiding spot... Oh well."

Its also kind of annoying to see your every-day guard doing the free running that you can do. To make it more challenging I wouldve made the guards Smarter, not faster. They would head to ladders and try to get ahead of you. I also would put more gaurds on the rooftops with bows, and made arrows MUCH faster, and MUCH more deadly. One or two arrows should put you down, or at least make you limp and hamper your free running, so you need to hide much sooner.

Also when you would climb and the guards would throw rocks at you (nice touch btw) you can fall 10 stories onto your face and not die. In prince of persia I did get annoyed if I died from falling 2 feet, but I find I HATE this. You can fall from the top of the freaking dome of the rock and not die. Fix that.

All in all I suppose I would just make swords and arrows and falling all do much more damage. Make sure you should HAVE To escape after assassinating someone, instead of just walking out doing counter attacks with your assassination blade, having no need to even block. Also, make throwing knives less powerful. At least 2 needed to kill. (Or you could unlock poison from a faction and coat your throwing knives in it, making them 1 hit kills)

2: The progression of the game was really this. You dont have counter attacks.... then you do and everything is the same for the rest of the game.

It would've been cool to maybe unlock the different weapons. Maybe you get paid for doing assassinations (or doing work for factions. I TOTALLY wouldve put overall nuetral, but competeing factions with different rewards in each city OR in the kingdom, so there is a REASON for it) and you can choose what weapons to buy and upgrade.

Also... unlock different outfits or other items. Say like, flash powder to blind nearby enemies for a short amount of time (only needed if the combat merited running away =P). Or other things.

Choosing which upgrades to get, whether a better sword, more throwing knives, or new combat moves, shouldve been left up to the player, giving a minor degree of customization. Players are *****s for customization. (Who wishes you could wear a black outfit if you wanted?)

3: You'd think the company who made Splinter Cell would know SOMETHING about stealth games. The stealth (a major part of assassination in my mind) in this game was a joke. The "suspicious guards" didnt care that i was climbing walls at all, which was what I hear ubisoft claim. "you need to hide in the crowd, and do socially acceptable things." Even those darn lepers pushing you into the guards never mattered. I can assassinate a guard in the middle of 5 other ones and no one notices until i kill 2 more.

I really think the "social stealth" idea was awesome. But as it turns out... you walk into a group of scholars, press A, and so long as you dont kill anyone in front of a guard you can call it good. Make the crowds more concealing, so that you can actually hide in them, make the social impact of your actions relevant like you pretend. It wouldve been much cooler. Also I wouldn't have minded seeing some night mission's incorporating stealth as well (a reason for the black outfit I want. I actually think the white one is more badass though, i just want choice!).

As far as social acceptability for walking around with 20 knives and 2 swords strapped on your back.... I can't even say anything.

I wouldve made a weapon selection menu at the beginning of each mission at Masayaf with two meters. One indicating combat ability, the other, social stealth, or suspicion.

You could pick which weapons to bring, including unlockable new ones (ie. the small crossbow, a full long bow, ect.)
The more weapons you bring, the more guards pay attention to you. You are more capable in combat with throwing knives, a bow, and the longsword, but at the same time, your stealth goes down, its much harder to hide in a crowd, ect.

MINOR GRIPES AND OTHER IDEAS

-The "errands" you have to go on are kinda annoying after the first 24 times. Variety, or at least put in hiddin story details.
-You can't skip the cutscenes!!! AHHH!!
-You have to run all the way to the bottom of MT MASAYAF! every mission... It gets annoying.
-The guards can run on the roofs almost as well as altair....
-You can't SWIM! Pathetic.
-Put in more assassination's, more missions, less errand running.

I wouldve liked factions... COMPETING factions to be exact, so you can't unlock everything in one playthrough. You get money from these missions and unlock new things. (You could also pick-pocket rich looking people on the streets and get money =P)

You can do missions for the scholar's and monks based in a monastary in The Kingdom, and you can unlock new combat moves (Presumabley from studying or something)

You can do missions for The Weaponsmiths. Maybe sort of a thief like things.. Steal some books or documents from the scholars, and they can make and upgrade your weapons.

Do side missions for the assassins at the Bureau to unlock flash powder, poisons, throwing knives.

Also depending on who you help, that is who helps you in the city. The "vigilanties" would try to STOP you from escaping and help the guards if you didnt do missions for whoever the worked for.

The scholars would point you out to the guards while you were in the city if you stole from them. Ect.

Robbinho1992
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
1) Yes could have been harder, But they wanted you to feel like an Uber Assassin. Also they can build on it for the next one, Making it harder.
2) I felt it progressed, more people to kill different weapons. Flags and Templars, No unlockable but i care not for them.
3)Not a Stealth Game, Never Was. Social Stealth Action Adventure....Nothing to do iwth Hiding in the Shadows Stealth.

P.S. Piss off.

Thorbold
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
i completley agree with u Mako, this game was a big dissapointment for the amount of hype it got. i still think this game is incredible and is gonna be the start of an amazing frangize, but it lacks so much.

spazzoo1025
04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif why do you make fun of no-finned ******ed baby seals???? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

durge666
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Ubisoft might put a bunch of ideas and things in an update and they'll definitely put them in the second game. Based on all the feedback they got from the community, they'll be able to make a nearly perfect game. Heck, it might be the best game ever, at least it has the potential to be. If they incorporate all the feedback from the community, Assassin's Creed 2 may just be the best game ever made. period. But if they don't incorporate all the feedback, it will just be another sequel.

colt122
04-10-2008, 03:49 AM
well 1st well yes
2nd: once again yes
3rd:ive got an idea for anyone who is a normal active member on these forums (i am but i really cant be bothered posting) lets try to count how many people have said WHY THE STEALTH IS GAY ON THIS GAME or anything in that manner

Wulva
04-10-2008, 04:37 AM
I agree completely, could've summed all that up with "needs more variety". I got bored of doing the errands after the 2nd city.

Climbing to the tops of buildings was fun for the first time in the 3 cities, then it's pretty much the same over and over again, with an exception of like 1 "special" building you get to climb.

Would've been fun with more weapons too i mean you get all the weapons really early in the game, then they just get useless upgrades 6/9 times. The game also relies too much on targeting, would've been more fun if you actually get to aim the throwing knives.

NotLordAtkin
04-10-2008, 04:52 AM
You've got a point in many things, but this game was originally meant to be fun.
Remember Hitman? guards started shooting at you even when you stood somewhere for too long. It was cool but I guess that it wouldn't be such a fun in AC.

Then, about the difficulty. some of your ideas would definitelly improve your game. but some would make it pretty frustrating.

durge666
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Remember guys, you're supposed to be playing as uber master assassin Altair. Not target practice. Just remember that.

therian86
04-12-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I watched a lot of the jade demos on youtube and I'm very disappointed with how easy the game is and how repetitive it becomes.

Oh well maybe they will patch some of these things.

Originally posted by durge666:
Remember guys, you're supposed to be playing as uber master assassin Altair. Not target practice. Just remember that.

What kind of uber master assassin gets his @$$ handed to him within 10 mins of the game?

drego5
04-13-2008, 01:33 AM
An uber-master-assassin with too much ego and no humility.

Paddock
04-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Touche http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

adarwinter
04-17-2008, 08:10 AM
i just thought i would divert some attention to this thread here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7851058056

its a thread i started about a tool (for the PC only) that lets u select how many health bars u want to regenerate.
if u feel the game is too easy than do what i do - limit the health bar to regenerate only up to 4 synch bars. it makes big fights harder and running away becomes a more common solution, with it the more interesting time to implement free-running.

about the other faults of the game - yes. i agree with them.

the_assassin_07
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Yup AC looked much more impressive in the earlier stages. I dunno why they changed it...

drego5
04-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Night_mist:
I just re-watched the first gameplay footage released of Assassin's Creed. There were some stuff that I miss from the final game. Correct me if I'm wrong about something, though. But first, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2g-COZpMXs

-You could ride in cities
-The 1st person view wasn't blurry
-You had a rear view button
-The fighting looks more difficult, and apparently one hit to the head woild do you in.
-You could push people around when standing still or walking around
-Awesome loading screen
-Cool slow motion kill-cam with squirting blood
-Not a lot of DNA artifacts floating around your current target

So I guess not all changes were for the better, in my oh so humble opinion.

Hey, yeah.... Good point.. I never really noticed those things before.. The one thing I did notice is that the setting for William was different, he's no longer an executioner. But yeah, he did ride the horse into the city...

<----
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif