PDA

View Full Version : Heading back online...Hyperlobby still the tool of choice?

SimFlyerUSA
10-26-2004, 09:19 AM
I've been gone so long I haven't been watching the scene. Is H/L still where it's at for FB?

georgeo76
10-26-2004, 09:39 AM
yes

xTHRUDx
10-26-2004, 10:24 AM
i've always used All Seeing Eye. best game browser out there IMHO

antifreeze
10-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Is 'All Seeing Eye' free?
Does 'All Seeing Eye' list ALL players on a server no matter where they joined from?
Does it have 'chat' and a 'buddy list'?

I like Hyperlobby and the work Jiri has put into is fantastic, but this business about only listing half the players on a server is cheesing me off; loads of time wasted trying to join games that are full. I thought Jiri might have fixed it by now, but it doesn't look like it will ever be fixed.

My squad have always used HL, but I think it might be time to move on?

gates123
10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
yes ASE lists all the players and uses ALOT less resources then HL.

Viking-S
10-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Hmmm!

"Download the 21-day free trial version today!"

Think not!

Viking

weasel75
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
ASE can be used as long as you like, it does not expire (AFAIK).
But: just dogfights can be joined. No lobby, so COOP is not possible.

Jumoschwanz
10-27-2004, 07:45 AM
You can see for yourself the resources that HL and ASE use if you run them and look in the Task Manager. HL uses a whole 8.5mb of memory and ASE uses a stunning 6.3. Not much to worry about in any case unless you are trying to run the sim on a Pentium I with 64mb of ram.

Also I have both installed and I check both, because HL will have some servers ASE does not, and ASE will have some HL does not. So you have more to pick from and a better chance of finding a server you like.

Same with features. Each has some the other does not. I usually go with HL first becuase it is the most popular and it is easy to see and find friends on it with it's player lists and very visible chat bar. Then if there is nothing there I will start ASE and look at both at the same time. Then I am using a whopping 15 mb of ram! Cpu usage on Task Manager for either of these utilities is too small to even read on a modern rig.
I run a xp3200/nforce2/3x512mbpc4000. So it does not make a bit of difference to me for sure.
So really just install and run them both. There is no reason for anyone not to unless they are worrying about something they ought not to. S!

Jumoschwanz

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
I use both for different reasons. In some instances I can see more/different servers on one over the other.

I like the clean look of ASE and don't usually even look at the chat in HL. Jiri has been supportive of our communityand I like his product just fine.

I'll still keep both though.

TB

Spitf_ACE
10-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Where's the best place to fly co-ops?

Or is it best to do this within a squad?

antifreeze
10-28-2004, 01:12 PM
> "Download the 21-day free trial version today!"
It's not free? Oh, that's not good.

> just dogfights can be joined. No lobby, so COOP is not possible.
OK, so that's a good enough reason to stick with HL.
Coops and online wars are the mainstay of my/our flying.

> Where's the best place to fly co-ops?
There are public co-ops hosted in hyperlobby quite frequently. The online co-op element of the game used to be really strong, because everytime you played one, it was downloaded into your cache folder, so all the good missions got shared and re-used.
However, some capitalistic genius persuaded Oleg to encrypt the mission files (so that he could sell his missions and stop people from obtaining a copy of them). So to share missions now, you have to get someone to IM or email you the original file. Co-ops still occur, but you might have to wait for a host to come along, rather than like the old days where you could just jump into them one after the next.

There are several online wars that are made from seperate co-op missions, but they are managed like campaigns; the next co-op continues on from the last one.

Also, there is 'BajaMaja' dogfight server. It runs 'campaigns', but by using a dogfight server and scripting rather than single, seperate co-op missions.