PDA

View Full Version : quessy.....

KloudKat
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Serious question...and probably a dumb one but...

How do people here know what damage a 20mm cannon does?

How do people know that a certain FM is porked?

How do people know the turn rate of a Fw190 or the dive rate of a Bf 109?

Etc etc etc etc etc etc....

I've read loads of posts where people have said this isn't right, that isn't right, this would have done this blah, blah, blah.

How can people know this information, short of being 85 years old and flying planes/using these weapons in combat? Even if you relate this to the published information and specs of 'whatever' even that can't be a totally accurate when in a practicle situation.

I'm not being funny with these peeps, i just want to know how you get this info and then relate it to il2.

Regards

Enthor1
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
They don't.
They read some stuff and thereafter think they know stuff.

Many of the same will discount the testimony of the 85 year old guys who actually flew them, saying in effect that their age discounts their memories.

The billions of words typed across the net by these people, like these I type, are absolutely useless in the general scheme of things but it can be amusing to read sometimes.

Think about the difference between theory and practice.
These guys are stuck in the theoretical universe, ever bound to their statistics and dragging them around behind them like a ball and chain

vocatx
06-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Only twelve posts here and you've hit on one of the biggest secrets we've all kept from the rest of the world. Shhh. Don't tell anybody. We've got loads of experts here who actually flew WWII combat aircraft in action. Oleg's got a secret airfield in Russia, and some of the biggest experts on these forum pages go there regularly to shoot holes in each other's airplanes, and they perform highly scientific aircraft performance tests.

If you haven't already figured it out, I'm kidding. Most of the folks here have never taken hold of the controls of an actual aircraft, much less any of them represented in FB-AEP-PF. Neither have they got any idea of what kind of damage any of the weapons would cause. We can all read pilot's accounts and performance charts, etc. for as long as we live, but we will never know the answers to many of our questions for sure.

Don't let all the b****ing and whining dissuade you from enjoying the most awesome COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR you can get your hands on. Just take many of the rants and raves here with a few pounds of salt.

P.S.
Glad to see a new guy around here. I was afraid if any new people came around, they would be scared off by reading some of the posts put up here lately.

VW-IceFire
06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by KloudKat:
Serious question...and probably a dumb one but...

How do people here know what damage a 20mm cannon does?

How do people know that a certain FM is porked?

How do people know the turn rate of a Fw190 or the dive rate of a Bf 109?

Etc etc etc etc etc etc....

I've read loads of posts where people have said this isn't right, that isn't right, this would have done this blah, blah, blah.

How can people know this information, short of being 85 years old and flying planes/using these weapons in combat? Even if you relate this to the published information and specs of 'whatever' even that can't be a totally accurate when in a practicle situation.

I'm not being funny with these peeps, i just want to know how you get this info and then relate it to il2.

Regards
Depends...a few people study history or have historical test documents that can theoretically back up their claims. Sometimes its valid to try and argue a point.

But lots of guys just think something is and run with that all the way.

Although a good argument is sometimes fun, usually needs to be backed up with something.

KloudKat
06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
THanks for the answers. I was beginning to wonder if i'd missed something important like a Maddox training day or something.

Love PF etc, i just couldn't understand how people could make comments about the performance of machinery, equipment etc and not qualify their statements.

A big mystery has been explained, kind of suspected it but it's nice to have confirmation.

Cheers fellas

Worf101
06-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I qualified on the 50.cal at Ft. Lost in da Woods Misery back in the day. For "expert" you hand to cut down a telephone pole with a 3 shot burst. I qualified but not as an expert. Amazing devastation, can't even imagine a 20 mike mike or a 30.

Da Worfster