PDA

View Full Version : Any PPC or ultralight pilots in here?

slappedsilly
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Does anyone in here fly any ultralights? Fixed wing, ppc's, trikes?

p-11.cAce
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
I was a hang gliding instructor for two years http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I've got a few hours in trikes and 20 or so in a Moyes Dragonfly (ultralight tow plane). Do you fly or just interested in giving it a go?

slappedsilly
10-05-2006, 06:40 PM
I fly a ppc. Its a Destiny 2 seater. I've flown for about 4 years. I dont get to fly near as much as I'd like, but I'll take what I can get. I'm struggling with the Sport Pilot rules and wonder if I had any company hear. (I'm in the United States.) The rules will force me to pay about $1000 to learn how to fly what I have flown for 4 years. It's really got me bummed.

p-11.cAce
10-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I always thought PPC's looked like a lot of fun...how wind limited are they really? Can you fly in any wind at all? What is it like flying in mid-day conditions? Have you ever had or know of anyone who had issues with partial collapses or other difficulties during flights? Most people think flying HG is crazy but they are truly some of the safest aircraft as fas as I'm concerned. I think the paraglider guys are nuts though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Philipscdrw
10-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I fly gliders. One of the challenges facing my club is to convince the freshers that gliding is not hang-gliding, paragliding, microlights... they are the rock-climbing, we are the hill-walkers!

slappedsilly
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
P-11, ppc's can't fly in wind very well. About 15 mph is max. Someone could push it a little more, but the fun stops at about 8 mph IMO. I've flown in about 12 mph and its nothing but work, correcting constanly. I fly in the late afternoon.
They are safe, if you fly like I do, don't push it, they won't stall (you can steer both ways and force it to)and they won't spin. I've had an engine out fully loaded (both seats) and it floated to the ground, no problem. They are VERY slow though, 30mph. You say you've flown trikes? Now that looks like a blast. A man I know at one of the airports I fly from some times will fly his trike next to me. I love to watch him dive and turn. He can get down to about 40 mph but it seems he can hit about 70 if he wants. Are the new rules affecting you? I am completely disgusted with my introduction to the FAA.

Philps, are your gliders affected? There are only 18 people qualified to test me in the entire U.S. I can only hope some law suits come of this.

p-11.cAce
10-06-2006, 06:06 AM
I no longer hang glide...made the switch to saiplanes (like Philip) last year. Sport pilot should not affect us much, except for the guys flying the new breed of ultralight sailplanes. The vast majority of hang gliding flight parks around the country will be affected greatly by sport pilot as their two pilots and aircraft will need to be certified - big expenses for a business with low margins to begin with!
You should give soaring a try - I think I spent maybe $1500 getting my license and the flying costs are very low - on a good day you can fly all afternoon off a $40 tow and a few bucks rental fee.
If that does not strike your fancy give the trikes a try - they are a lot of fun and very easy to fly...you can stall them but you have to really work at it! I guess you could spin one in theory, but I've never heard of it being done.

slappedsilly
10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the faa really regrets what they've done to general aviation...only because of the money!
They've regulated it to death and the NTSB gives lawyers all the info they need to destroy airplane manufactuers. Its a leathel combination. Now they've let an exempt community thrive for 12 years now they can pull it in under its wing a destroy it...Its really sad.

p-11.cAce
10-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I agree to some extent - though it is important to remember that the FAA & NTSB are primarily concerned with three groups - 1. Military; 2. Corporate; 3. Airlines. These are (and probably should be) the dominant forces behind policy making. The FAA is only concerned about us to the extent required to keep us from taking out an airliner full of vacationers or to avoid this Glider & Corporate Jet Collide (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1691644/posts). I get upset too sometimes by all the new regs and such, however I also am well aware of where my hobby sits on the importance scale of policy makers in DC.

slappedsilly
10-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah I'm sure they gots lot bigger fish to fry. Well at least we are lucky enough to be able to experience flight at all. I'm sure most places in the world it will only remain a dream. I love flying my little plane. I've got a little plane in my garage. I feel pretty lucky.

mortoma1958
10-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I wonder if you are automatically allowed to fly ultralights with no further liscensing, if you already have a PPL??? I'd think if I can fly a Cessna I should be able to fly one of those things.

p-11.cAce
10-07-2006, 07:10 AM
In the US before sport pilot you did not need any training...now you need some but really not much. When I was teaching hang gliding at LMFP the hardest students to teach were guys that had their PPL's. Flying a 60 pound weight shift glider is a world away from 3-axis flight with a motor. My best students ALWAYS were wives and girlfriends of mr private pilot - they would usually pick things up much faster, actually listen to instruction, and tended to have a better intuitive feel for the glider. I would NOT recommend hopping in anything that flies and going for it without instruction from someone who is qualified to do so.

mortoma1958
10-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I wasn't really talking about weight shifting hang gliders. More ultralight aircraft than anything. They work on the same principal but maybe a good bit more sensitive as far as flight control.

Lubcke
10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I fly paraglider, wich is realy cool thing to do.

p-11.cAce
10-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Paragliders are cool...though you guys seem to take reserve rides pretty often http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif I like the idea of being able to climb out in weak conditions...but am scared of cravattes, frontal collapses, partial collapses on approach..etc.etc.etc. I've launched in some pretty benign conditions hang gliding that got down right terrifying faster than I could get down - I'm glad I've had a rigid airframe to handle some of that turbulence!

StephanieM3
07-03-2019, 11:58 PM
This PPC Agency (https://bluedotmarketing.eu/) does good work. PM for details :)