PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo

darkhorizon11
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
Which nations produced and flew this aircraft? Obviously America, but I know they flew in the Dutch East Indies and Europe against the Germans. The Finns used them also, but I know I've seen some pics and skins running around with black swastikas on them...

How the did Germans and Finns get ahold of them? Were they just captured or bought before the war? If anyone could post some history on this that would great.

Also how do the carrier versions compare to their land based counter-parts?

new-fherathras
06-30-2005, 03:33 PM
i belive they where bought befor the war, then asembeled in sweden by norwegians, and sent to finland.

BuzzardHead
06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
The Finns bought several b-239,s from the US these were delete radio equip and gunsights amoung other things.Hence the designation B-239.The swastika you refer to is light blue and is a Finnish national insignia.I hope this may clarifie some issues.Others may add more info I'm sure.

---------------------------------------------------
All that is complex is not useful,all that is useful is simple...

3.JG51_BigBear
06-30-2005, 03:43 PM
The Buffalo was produced by the Brewster corporation as the US Navy's first mono wing carrier based fighter. The plane was considered to be a pleasure to fly and was chosen over the Wildcat for production. Prior to World War 2, nations with limited aircraft production capabilities were coming to the US and Russia among other to buy aircraft to quickly bolster their airforces.

Finland was one of these nations. They were fighting the Russians and went to the US looking for aircraft. Being a fellow democracy, the US was happy to let Brewster sell aircraft slated for the US Navy to the Finns. The Navy stripped the Buffalos of all their equipment (including the engines which were replaced with overhauled DC-3 engines) and they were shipped to Sweden where they were assembled. The Finns used the Buffalo in front line service until 1944 and even tried to build their own. Only one aircraft was assembled and up until not too long ago was the only surviving examply of the Buffalo in the world (an original Buffalo was found in a Russian lake not too long ago).

The bent crosses that appear on Finnish aircraft are not actually swastikas. In many cultures that symbol represents the sun and in others it represents luck. The Finns adopted that symbol as the insignia for their airforce in honour of one of the original founders of their air forces who used the HK as his personal symbol. My knowledge on this is a bit fuzzy so corrections may be necessary but I think I'm close.

The land and sea based versions of the planes are very similar. The only significant differences are gunsights and the removal of a tail hook and life raft mounted behind the pilot's head rest.

JG53Frankyboy
06-30-2005, 04:01 PM
http://www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm

and the following saw combat service:

-B-239 with the Finnish Airforce aginst the soviets. these were denavylized F2A-1 that was bought form the US governement

-B-339E , british BuffaloMk.I. its an Export version of the USN F2A-2.
saw wcombat action in the first month of the pacific war over Singapore, Rangoon, Sumatra and Java.

-B-339C/D , Dutch Brewsters, also an Export version of the F2A-2. saw combat over Singapore, Sumatra and Java

-F2A-3 , saw combat action with the USMC at the Battle of Midway

B0lter
06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
Hmmm...

I thought the USMC bufalos saw action for the last time over Wake.

They got slaughtered IIRC

MLudner
06-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by B0lter:
Hmmm...

I thought the USMC bufalos saw action for the last time over Wake.

They got slaughtered IIRC

Naw, the Marines on Wake were flying Wildcats. Midway was the last use by the USMC of the Buffalo.

B0lter
06-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah,you're right. I stand corrected http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

They did get slaughtered though. I looked it up (http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/ac-usn22/f-types/f2a.htm):

In a brief battle against greatly superior numbers, Midway Island's Marine Fighting Squadron 221 (VMF-221) lost thirteen of twenty F2A-3s. Soon after, the "Buffalo" was removed from combat units and assigned to advanced training duty.

F19_Olli72
06-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
The bent crosses that appear on Finnish aircraft are not actually swastikas. In many cultures that symbol represents the sun and in others it represents luck. The Finns adopted that symbol as the insignia for their airforce in honour of one of the original founders of their air forces who used the HK as his personal symbol. My knowledge on this is a bit fuzzy so corrections may be necessary but I think I'm close.

Just a few corrections:

# The finnish swastika is a swastika and nothing else. Even though political correct ppl sometimes refer to it as the "Von Rosen cross" the finns themselves called it (and still call it) hakaristi which means swastika. A black version was used by finnish tank crews.

# Count Eric Von Rosen was the man who donated the first aircraft which had his family insignia to what became the finnish airforce. When his wife's sister Karin Kantzow married Hermann G├┬Âring they became brother in-laws.

3.JG51_BigBear
06-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks, I knew there would be some corrections needed.

vocatx
07-01-2005, 01:44 AM
In FB/PF, the version that I find the best to fly is the B-239. The Finns' aircraft were lighter and more manuverable than the other variants, but at the expense of armor. They did have four .50 machine guns, an improvement over the U.S. Navy's original version.

GerritJ9
07-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Also built for Belgium was the B-339B, with an 1100 hp Cyclone engine. Basically a denavalized F2A-2. Most of the Belgian order shipped to Britain; one captured by the Germans in Bordeaux while en route to Belgium; about six on French carrier "Bearn" en route to Europe when France collapsed, sent ashore at Martinique and later blown up by Allied saboteurs to prevent possible use by Vichy France.
B339C was initial Dutch version, 24 built (B-395 to B-3118). Equipped with 1100 hp Cyclone, armament two 0.30s in fuselage and two 0.50s in wings, could also carry two 50 kg bombs under the wings. Basically denavalized F2A-2.
B-339D was second Dutch version, fitted with 1200 hp Cyclone. 48 built (B-3119 to B-3166). All Dutch Brewsters were ordered with 1200 hp engines but these were not available in sufficient quantities and therefore first 24 received the 1100 hp Cyclone. As B-339C basically denavalized version of F2A-2.
B-339E was British version with 1100 hp Cyclone. Was totally porked thanks to excessive British equipment requirements resulting in drastically increased weight with extremely adverse effects on overall performance. Having an 1100 hp engine instead of the 1200 hp fited to F2A-2 did not help either. With F2A-3 which the USN requirements sinilarly porked, probably the worst of the bunch.