PDA

View Full Version : new ai in 1946?

Awagnerjcu08
07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just got 1946, and I've notice a big change in the AI. Sadly, I usually only have time for a few QMBs in standard P51 vs. 1 or 2 190s.

In PF, the AI would jerk into a barrel roll and cut speed. I would B&Z until 1 remained, and then have to throttle all the way back and use rudder / flaps, and prop pitch just to keep from overshooting.

The AI in 1946 seems much different. I need to fly cleanly to keep enough energy to keep up with these guys! No more unrealistic tactics.

My apologies for bringing up someething you must have all already noticed. But the AI does seem to be a point of concern for Il2 and the upcoming SOW. In my judgement, it is improved in 4.08.

Any thoughts?

Divine-Wind
07-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Not much different than the latest patch for PF, as far as I can tell...

But yeah, they are incredibly fast, due to the fact that they never overheat and always trim perfectly, no matter what they do. It is also amazing hard to kill AI pilots.

Bearcat99
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree... this is the best AI so far.

ake109
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Yeah, but just give them a 2-5% speed penalty and stop the SuperSniper bomber gunners and I'll be in bliss.

Billy_DeLyon
07-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd have to agree that the AI's improved... I have had some amazing dogfights vs AI since 46 came out. It can still be pretty frustrating, of course, especially in 1v1 situations where their predictability becomes more noticable, eg the automatic diving vector roll when you get to within 300 meters on their six. But I've been having a blast setting up 16v16 fights in QMB with evenly matched opponents. I think having so many other planes around makes them less predictable, and with full switch it's good SA practice..

mortoma
07-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I just wish I could try out '46!! I have had a copy for a long time but have been waiting to get a new, up to date PC to play it on. This was further delayed by my need to acquire a laptop PC. I was originally going to have my new PC by now but I have pushed the purchase date out to the end of the year around the holidays. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

crucislancer
07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

+1

Much more difficult to fly against compared to the original or PF.

SeaFireLIV
07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
It took a long time to test it, but AI isn`t the star wars freak it was pre-4.08.

It`s back to being enjoyable again.

Divine-Wind
07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah, AI is definitely improved from the original IL-2.

Sometimes I'll load it up (Or I did when it was still installed... I'll have to find the disk again...) just to see how much the series has been bettered.

This has been said countless times, but thanks Oleg!

Xiolablu3
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
AI is OK for practice.

Its just a trainer for online play.

Nothing can beat the immersion of flying vs real pilots.

Bearcat99
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
The funny thing is depending on the pilot... the AI can be better or worse... easier or harder to kill. So for every level of AI pilot out there there is a live equivalent... except on the extreme end.

Divine-Wind
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
It's amazing how well the AI replicates human behavior - I've lost count of how many stupid things I've witnessed.

Scorpion.233
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Only thing I don't like about it is that they magically sense when you're behind them, making them go into those downward loops.

And the ridiculous accuracy of the bomber gunners. Hitting me with an full burst from 700 meters.

tagTaken2
07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
More is better, for realistic. But it doesn't compare with BoB:WoV. There's no suprising the AI in this game, and that's half the fight. Or all of it.

Polyperhon
07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
AI is OK for practice.

Its just a trainer for online play.

Nothing can beat the immersion of flying vs real pilots.

Online is a particular type of fighting goes on and is not always the most difficult.A lot of newcomers are coming which it's much easier to shoot them down than AI planes. 1v1 prevails much more because everyone wants the best for himself, instead team fighting was much more important in reality and it shows in the Ai missions.In online situations range and alt. performance doesn't matter.La-7 vs Fw 190A-9 forever...
I looked myself on some missions and I was impressed by the AI.It is interesting when you set up autopilot and let the AI fly all-alone.It's amazing to watch them. I modified some "Back to Berlin" missions and after I run them I had some interesting results.In an april 1945 mission 3 Me 262s attack on 8 Pe-2s and 2 P-39s. I ordered the first 4 Pe-2s to engage the Me 262s and the result was 2 Me 262s shot down by the Pe-2s without any losses...(the P-39s participated too, but didn't shoot down).Then I looked again and again on the replay the result and it looked entirely realistic.I modified the mission using Tu-2S instead.3 Tu-2S were shot down for the loss of on Me 262.The Tu-2S didn't engage of course but the AI pilots were moving up and down their wings in contiuous left-right rolls destroying targeting and this saved at least 2 Tu-2s. I am almost sure that was not happening in older, pre-1946 versions.Indeed that was a very good bonus from Oleg and his team!Therefore and in AI intelligence the IL-2 series was always ahead of every other sim, BoB needs to be really VEEERY good to better what we have already.

SeaFireLIV
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
IL2`s AI is a lot more complex than some realise. It`s easy to see all the faults, but what it does most of the time it does VERY well/

For instance, a lot of people don`t even know that if you give an AI a wingman he will act in partnership with his wingman. Try it, in QM go against an AI 109 (or whatever) alone then go again with 2 109s together. Even pop on their frequency. They`ll try and sucker you so one can shoot you down while you chase the other, or they`ll try and criss-cross attack you together so you your kept constantly looking out. Whenever you get on one`s six the other will be on you, if it looks like you`re about to shoot (or do shoot), the one behind will automatically fire to try and put you off!

This is a small example.