PDA

View Full Version : Doolittle raid

Siwarrior
01-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Is there a Doolittle raid mission that i can download somewhere?

Yimmy
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Doolittle = doodlebug?

Talley_ho
01-22-2005, 09:35 PM
no fneb...Jimmy Doolittle the bad Mutherphucker who dropped the bomb on Tokyo against all odds.

cute ya' yimmywhack

hamselv2
01-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I have downloaded 3 different Doolittle Raid missions, but I haven't flown any of them. Unfortunately I only have links to 2 of them:

http://www.flying-legends.net/php/pfmissions/download.php?id=19

http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/index.php?page=detail&ID=2174

The one that I havent got a download link to is a contained in a zip file called: Doolittle__s
Someone might recognize that file and give you a link.

jetsetsam
01-23-2005, 06:33 AM
There are a couple of Doolittle missions on il2missions.com

Siwarrior
01-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks heaps ill give it a go

ImpStarDuece
01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Siwarrior:
Is there a Doolittle raid mission that i can download somewhere? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting request.

Famous mission? Yes

Exciting? Probably not.

The Doolittle raid was a psychological pinprick against the Japanese mainland. Yes it was audacious and good for morale but it actually achieved very little in the way of physical damage.

They launched 16 B-25s from approx 600 miles, into the teeth of a gale and then kept it low and slow until they hit the Japanese mainland. Im stretching my history here but I think the raid was intially something close to 100km off course to the north when it hit the mainland.

Some had to divert to Vladivostock because of low fule while a dozen planes hit Tokyo and others hit NAgano, Osaka and Kode.

So, to properly sim the raid you have a 12 hour flight to drop a light bomb load in loose formation against no opposition before crash landing in occupied China.

Parsonally i'd rather fly some Betty missions against Guadalcanal. At least i know i'd get some action when i got there.