PDA

View Full Version : The Ki-61 engine

jugent
04-03-2005, 02:19 AM
What changes was maid in the Ki-61, compared to the german orginalengine?
The only thing in cockpit that i have noticed in PF is there is no automatic pitch.
The engine is not so fragile in the Ki as it is in the Me-109.
The Me-109 smeared my windshield after on hit in the forward engine area by a .303 hit, but the Ki-61 engine seems to be better protected at least in this game.
I have no statistics about this so it my biased opinion that is the fundament of this thread.

jugent
04-03-2005, 02:19 AM
The only thing in cockpit that i have noticed in PF is there is no automatic pitch.
The Me-109 smeared my windshield after on hit in the forward engine area by a .303 hit, but the Ki-61 engine seems to be better protected at least in this game.
I have no statistics about this so it my biased opinion that is the fundament of this thread.

LEBillfish
04-03-2005, 08:52 AM
That's a huge question as yet I assume you mean "in the sim" from your comparison. Although I think the Ki-61 is better armored, both take those engine hits often with disasterous results...Equally I would say.

Ki-61 as SOP I run at 6 radiator, seems to be the magig number at warding off an overheat but less might be fine....109 I always run Auto, silly not to.

Both I run at 95% throttle, so no difference there as to overheating, just won't happen except on Med maps.

PropPitch on 61 I run at 85%, as I really do for most manually adjusted planes, that seems to be the best balance between speed and keeping revs below redline for most. 109E I almost always run Auto, why not, advantage is slight for going manual, risk high, if they had it use it. However, I always insure P/P is set to 40% before I go to manual, that seems like the magic number to insure you don't over-rev at shift.

What might be radically different though I don't know is the prop itself, that might explain a lot of the pitch issues.

However, all in all I find both equally vulnerable to engine hits...once hit better run, or prepare to go down.

VOL_Hans
04-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Dosen't the KI-61 have auto pitch and radiators? I could be mistaken but I thought those were auto, atleast pitch, as thats kinda part of the DB-601 that the HA-40 was copied from?

LEBillfish
04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
It did in 3.00, but was changed in 3.04 "for the better".

Auto radiator in 3.0 went to instant full open and stayed there overheating constantly even still.....So it was like they applied 109 engine yet tried to figure in overheat problems Ki61 had.

After the change, Ki61 became an awesome plane.. I'd be glad if they changed it to make it more correct...But if it is now then please leave it. By far one of the best fighters here like the E4.

VOL_Hans
04-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm still learning the ropes in the KI-61, as I haven't really flown it alot.

I have heard of some good pilots who have knocked down F4U's and the like pretty quick.

Just wondering what version of it you prefer? Ko, Otsu, Hei?

p1ngu666
04-03-2005, 10:11 AM
one with 20mm cannons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

does surprisingly well, when u fly it u feel its remarkibly poor but it does well in combat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
04-03-2005, 10:17 AM
As the original poster said, I don't notice the massive oil loss and total blinding with the Ki-61 nearly as much as with the 109. The 109 had a main oil line that ran just in front of the front windscreen. When it gets hit, which doesn't take much, oil goes everywhere. I'm willing to bet that that oil line is in a different spot on the Ki61.

LEBillfish
04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Ko by far. Hei has the 151/20 guns, but little ammo.....The 7.7 guns at 500 rounds seem like lightweights, but when facing say p40, p38, or medium bombers they'll nail those engines easily.

Also, that means if your aim is on, a heck of a lot more planes you can drop before having to scoot.

So Ko for general combat up to late 43, very early 44. Otsu for combat vs. later planes and masses of medium bombers....Hei for heavy bomber intercept.

and no BigBear, sadly it oils up as bad though really don't get why either would as the wind should reduce it to at most a tint (thin layer of oil..plus Ki61 windscreen rounded), not like black soot.

JG53Frankyboy
04-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Daimler Benz modified the "japanese" DB601 so that its max poer output was rated to a lower altitude than the original engine.
and thats for sure just one point.

the Hien in PF3.04 has a ConstantSpeedProp , not an auto/manual like the Bf109 . so you can run the proppitch, ore better revs per min , at 100% . the engine will not overrev.

one impressive feature of the Hin is its max daive speed, ~850km/h IAS ! same like F6F fore example. unfortunalty it has a bad acceleration, also in the dive

FoolTrottel
04-03-2005, 05:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jugent:
I have no statistics about this so it my biased opinion that is the fundament of this thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want some info on the KI-61, I've got a 12 paged .pdf file of a document called 'Aircraft Profile Kawasaki KI-61 Hien'.

PM me, or reply an email address that I can send it to...