PDA

View Full Version : My first day of online air combat

Grand_Armee
07-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Sunday was a good day for flying...or dying, depend on how you look at it. Little to do on the honey-do list, and some good time for learning.

Special thanks to those of you who answered my spin thread. I did whatja said, and it worked.

My first mission found me spending a lot of time looking for an enemy. My side had a 2/3 majority, so everytime I saw a black dot in the sky, or pearly strings of tracers, by the time I got there, there was nothing but blue planes. Low on fuel I headed for home. I checked my 6 as often as possible, yet still I was snuck upon from below. I'll have to avoid flying straight for too long...I was easy meat.

I got a kill on my third mission...yep, I was killed in the second mission as well...but he sheared my wing with his just after my cannon shells ripped apart his fuselage. We were at about 1500 meters. My pilot didn't get out in time.

A few missions later I came upon a mission where some devious %&(*! (person) had created a map of a square island with six airfields on it. Three per side. Each field was surrounded by mountains with one low side for egress. AS I was about to clear my low side, I saw enemy fighters swooping in from left and right...no hope for me. Below was a graveyard of my teammate's crates. How sportsmanlike! I tried again from less busy airfields, but the result was never much better...one good laugh, though:

Some puke named 'punch' ripped off his teammates wing trying to steal me as a kill. I gave them a long laugh via chat.

In a lot of situations I'd find myself barely off the runway before coming under fire. ....after crashing...Change airfields, grab a Zero instead of my 109. Still, I didn't manage to down anyone.

Overall it was a frustrating, if exciting, experience.

Grand_Armee
07-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Sunday was a good day for flying...or dying, depend on how you look at it. Little to do on the honey-do list, and some good time for learning.

Special thanks to those of you who answered my spin thread. I did whatja said, and it worked.

My first mission found me spending a lot of time looking for an enemy. My side had a 2/3 majority, so everytime I saw a black dot in the sky, or pearly strings of tracers, by the time I got there, there was nothing but blue planes. Low on fuel I headed for home. I checked my 6 as often as possible, yet still I was snuck upon from below. I'll have to avoid flying straight for too long...I was easy meat.

I got a kill on my third mission...yep, I was killed in the second mission as well...but he sheared my wing with his just after my cannon shells ripped apart his fuselage. We were at about 1500 meters. My pilot didn't get out in time.

A few missions later I came upon a mission where some devious %&(*! (person) had created a map of a square island with six airfields on it. Three per side. Each field was surrounded by mountains with one low side for egress. AS I was about to clear my low side, I saw enemy fighters swooping in from left and right...no hope for me. Below was a graveyard of my teammate's crates. How sportsmanlike! I tried again from less busy airfields, but the result was never much better...one good laugh, though:

Some puke named 'punch' ripped off his teammates wing trying to steal me as a kill. I gave them a long laugh via chat.

In a lot of situations I'd find myself barely off the runway before coming under fire. ....after crashing...Change airfields, grab a Zero instead of my 109. Still, I didn't manage to down anyone.

Overall it was a frustrating, if exciting, experience.

Klemm.co
07-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Had my first online combat (after a long time) last weekend too. I only flew on realistic servers with either all options on or just limited icons.
I did five missions. On the first two I got one on each mission but flew myself into the ground banking hard left with a FW. On the third mission i got no kills because we (blue) had absolute numerical superiority and everytime I got to an e/a, he was either already shot down, I got bounced and had to turn away or he was about to get shot down.
On my fourth and fifth mission i got five planes in total and returned to base safely.
Never even once got shot down by somebody! (Though they tried hard and i got hit some too.)

The most important factor to not getting shot down really is situational awareness. I would not have survived so long without TrackIR.

Hoatee
07-23-2007, 03:17 AM
TrackIR is not essential for situational awareness - but the hat on your stick does need to be properly set up.

Thanks to Tulley I had that sorted - and that turned out to have been useful for flying in WWIIonline too (and that in turn says much for the community over there - less helpful than the IL2 crowd).

TheCrux
07-23-2007, 03:45 AM
Yeah that one map of the square ( and very mountainous ) island: I know the one. That's a toughie. As I am new as well and went through the same things you did, I just wait for most of the hubbub to die down ( watched enemy locations with Cont. F2 before re-spawning ) and then take-off and head away from the combat area till I have some altitude and speed. I can definitely see where I'd rather have the visual on another plane first...before he sees me, instead than the more "uber" plane. I like mid-war period planes, more of a challenge.

244_Okano

stalkervision
07-23-2007, 06:14 AM
try staying at high altitudes at first and "boom and zoom" enemy fighters that come up to medium altitudes crusing along or in vertical loop manauvers with your sides planes. You will have superior energy to them and will be able to take a good quick shoot at them without them being able to do a thing about it as you zoom climb back to altitude again. If you miss him the first time this allows for further attacks from a superior position on your pray.

want to be real "bad"? Replicate "the hun in the sun manauver" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Climb up to these altitudes and get the sun at your back. Then dive down like a hawk and score the kill. Your enemy will never know what hit him.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BTW, DO NOT DOGFIGHT WITH THE ENEMY AFTER YOU B AND Z HIM! MAKE ONE QUICK PASS AND IF YOU MISS CLIMB UP AND REGAINE ALTITUDE AGAIN! THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN..

VMF-214_HaVoK
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grand_Armee:

Overall it was a frustrating, if exciting, experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you ventured online. I think you would have had a even more enjoyable experience if you would have joined a better server.

Zekes vs Wildcats
Spits vs 109s
Winds of War
HISTORIA
UK Dedicated 2
Warclouds

S!

VW-IceFire
07-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Come visit us on UK-Dedicated...thats where I fly most of the time (particularly UK-D2). There's a teamspeak server, a great bunch of regulars (if I don't say so myself), and there are rules against blasting people on takeoff and landing so you don't run into those frustrating experiences.

Plus I think the real fun is to form up in a formation of bombers or fighters and hit the target areas.

Billy_BigBoy
07-24-2007, 04:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Come visit us on UK-Dedicated...thats where I fly most of the time (particularly UK-D2). There's a teamspeak server, a great bunch of regulars (if I don't say so myself), and there are rules against blasting people on takeoff and landing so you don't run into those frustrating experiences.

Plus I think the real fun is to form up in a formation of bombers or fighters and hit the target areas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the servers I like the most.
Had a lot of fun overthere as Steelbird, altough I haven't visited the server for a while now, I'm planning to raise my skills again soon.