PDA

View Full Version : Language Online

p-11.cAce
03-13-2007, 08:16 AM
With '46 hitting the market and many new pilots here, offline, and online I think it is important to address the issue of language use - especially online.

The vast majority of us are late teens and older, and may have grown accustomed to using "harsh" language -especially when we are "with the boys". However there are many who are offended by expletives used around them in a public setting, which this forum and online servers certainly are. The other night in our server we all got a quick correction when a string of expletives came over teamspeak, and one of our fellow pilots had his TS on speaker with his young son trying to learn to fly. A quick apology ensued. Expletives used in chat will result in an immediate kick, and a ban if warnings are not heeded. I applaud this and hope that the veterans around here will hold others they fly with to this standard on other servers as well.

I was fortunate to have been exposed to flight simming at a young age, and it has been a great hobby for over 20 years now. I would not want a young person to lose out on gaining a similar appreciation because their parents don't want them exposed to foul language online. Thanks!

waffen-79
03-13-2007, 10:03 AM
I just hate lolers, everything else is fine

general_kalle
03-13-2007, 10:37 AM
as long as people are not direktly offending others i think its all alright.

havent heard very bad langauge yet.

Bremspropeller
03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
lol

Zoom2136
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
You never heared some of us when we get shot down... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MEGILE
03-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Profanity is generally uncalled for on Team Speak if it's a public server.

But this internet, and you have to expect this kind of thing

BM357_Sniper
03-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I've never had to deal with the FPS kid attitudes while flying IL2. 99% of the time everyone act like adults and we all get along, at least on the full switch servers I fly on. Thats one of the things I enjoy here. I've notice recently some new people that I've never seen before trying to bring that language and attitude into play, but I have confidence in our community that we won't allow that to happen.

TC_Stele
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Yes, I think its appropriate timing to address the language issue.

A lot of new people, maybe some younger, and especially fresh meat!

Have any of you noticed a lot more friendly fire lately? I don't want to pin point it only on the newer pilots, but I suspect it may be some of them. It is refreshing to see newer folks now. =)

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
If you fly on quality servers with quality admins this is never really an issue. They usually deal with such antics quickly. And when it comes to Hyperlobby chat you just utilize your ignore feature. I bet I have over a 100 idiots on ignore. Foul language on Public TS servers is bad and should be taken care of by admins, if not then they are not very responsible. But I will say on our Ventrilo server you can use whatever language you like and all new members are made aware of this at the start. Any form of racism is prohibited of course. I also banned any discussion of politics or religion. Anything else is ok by me.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-13-2007, 06:19 PM
A lot of new people, maybe some younger, and especially fresh meat!

The sad thing is, these are usually the worst offenders.

Bearcat99
03-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
If you fly on quality servers with quality admins this is never really an issue. They usually deal with such antics quickly. And when it comes to Hyperlobby chat you just utilize your ignore feature. I bet I have over a 100 idiots on ignore. Foul language on Public TS servers is bad and should be taken care of by admins, if not then they are not very responsible. But I will say on our Ventrilo server you can use whatever language you like and all new members are made aware of this at the start. Any form of racism is prohibited of course. I also banned any discussion of politics or religion. Anything else is ok by me.

While I understand the concerns... and for the most part agree.. lets face it .. the occasional expletive is bound to pop out... but I hear ya. Most of us are grown men from all walks of life and to not expect that on occasion is naive IMO. We had a resident sailor on our comms.... and once spoken too he had no problems checking himself. Usually it is an issue that can be resolved with a pull to the side. That is another reason why I prefer to use a USB headset for comms.. The HL chat is another thing... I have seen all kinds of BS there... from outright racist rhetoric to inflamatory political BS. It happens....

Worf101
03-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

While I understand the concerns... and for the most part agree.. lets face it .. the occasional expletive is bound to pop out... but I hear ya. Most of us are grown men from all walks of life and to not expect that on occasion is naive IMO. We had a resident sailor on our comms.... and once spoken too he had no problems checking himself. Usually it is an issue that can be resolved with a pull to the side. That is another reason why I prefer to use a USB headset for comms.. The HL chat is another thing... I have seen all kinds of BS there... from outright racist rhetoric to inflamatory political BS. It happens.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bearcat!!!!
How could you out me like dat??!!!!!
LOL

Besides I served in the Army, I ain't no squd!!!! I dont' think Bearcat's talkin' about me but I do/did have a tendency to "let fly" from time to time. But were on closed comms and I think I cuss tastefully...

Da Worfster

Old_Canuck
03-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
.... I think I cuss tastefully...

Da Worfster

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif lol lol lol

I won't argue with you Sarge.

Bearcat99
03-16-2007, 05:25 AM
LMAO!! You outed yourself.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Worf101
03-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
LMAO!! You outed yourself.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif
Between this post and the Sinbad hoax, I'm gonna have to stick my haid in an oven somewhere.... Oh da humanity!!!

Da Worfster