PDA

View Full Version : Ezio Gun....

DARK-DAGGERTAIL
11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
this thing has been bugging me since I saw the very first game-play. How does Ezio shoot with only one hand? doesn't he need to use his other hand in order to pull the trigger.

GREAZY_FINGAZZ
11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DARK-DAGGERTAIL:
this thing has been bugging me since I saw the very first game-play. How does Ezio shoot with only one hand? doesn't he need to use his other hand in order to pull the trigger.
Nope, he's that awesome.

But in all seriousness, he probably just has a string tied to one of his fingers, a very, very, thin string.

ninja_7_7
11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Da vinci probaly modded it.

DeafAtheist
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah Di Vinci modded it so it no longer requires 2 hands and I think Greazy is right... something like a thin string attached to a finger that pulling back on the wrist activates the firing pin.

obliviondoll
11-12-2010, 11:28 PM
That fits with how the hidden blades are meant to work too.

CRUDFACE
11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by GREAZY_FINGAZZ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DARK-DAGGERTAIL:
Nope, he's that awesome.

But in all seriousness, he probably just has a string tied to one of his fingers, a very, very, thin string. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's no way you could pull that off mid combat. I think the developers just thought it was cool and put it in there. Plus, the string wouldn't work since some of the combos involve Ezio using his other hand to stab someone with a sword...what would he use to pull the strong?

DeafAtheist
11-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by t260z:
There's no way you could pull that off mid combat. I think the developers just thought it was cool and put it in there. Plus, the string wouldn't work since some of the combos involve Ezio using his other hand to stab someone with a sword...what would he use to pull the strong?

That's just it... he doesn't need the other hand to pull the string. The string would be around a finger on the same hand that the gun-blade is on and he'd snap his wrist back causing tension on the string and activating the firing mechanism.

I'm speculating of course cuz I don't actually know how it works but that is a possible solution. Only problem I see with it is he would have to snap his wrist back the same way to activate the wrist blade so how would it distinguish between firing the gun and unsheathing the blade?

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:

That's just it... he doesn't need the other hand to pull the string. The string would be around a finger on the same hand that the gun-blade is on and he'd snap his wrist back causing tension on the string and activating the firing mechanism.

I'm speculating of course cuz I don't actually know how it works but that is a possible solution. Only problem I see with it is he would have to snap his wrist back the same way to activate the wrist blade so how would it distinguish between firing the gun and unsheathing the blade? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Easy - each string attaches to a different finger. He flexes one finger back further, the blade pops out. Flexes the other and the gun fires.

DeafAtheist
11-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Easy - each string attaches to a different finger. He flexes one finger back further, the blade pops out. Flexes the other and the gun fires.

I've always assumed the blades were activated just by snapping back the wrists without having to pull a string or anything. With enough forward thrust coupled with snapping the wrists it would just slide out on it's own and lock into place.

SWJS
11-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I've always assumed the blades were activated just by snapping back the wrists without having to pull a string or anything.
That's right. If you look carefully, when Ezio activates his hidden blades, he flicks his wrists.

CRUDFACE
11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafAtheist:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by t260z:

I'm speculating of course cuz I don't actually know how it works but that is a possible solution. Only problem I see with it is he would have to snap his wrist back the same way to activate the wrist blade so how would it distinguish between firing the gun and unsheathing the blade? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Easy - each string attaches to a different finger. He flexes one finger back further, the blade pops out. Flexes the other and the gun fires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's way senseitive, plus we see in the cinematic trailer for AC2 that he needs to twist something under the bracer for it to properly work. I like the idea, so cool! As long as the action of snapping his back all the way is fine, but if he has more than one string then wouldn't he accidentally shoot at the same time he threw a dagger or raised his hand higher?

I have a problem with it as a whole. Not with you guys of course, but just the fact that they've never really told us how it would work. On twitter, Gabe just says leonardo did it.

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 12:33 AM
I've seen a home-made hidden blade that's operated by a string on one finger - flexing the wrist back while pulling that finger back pops the blade out, but the flicking action used to throw a knife wouldn't require that finger to bend back as much.

With the proper mechanism and some experimentation, it could be done with far less trouble than you'd expect.

As for the gun, modifying the cocking mechanism would be all that's required - modern handguns include autococking, why is it out of the question for Leonardo to have developed such a technology for Ezio?

DeafAtheist
11-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I've seen a home-made hidden blade that's operated by a string on one finger - flexing the wrist back while pulling that finger back pops the blade out, but the flicking action used to throw a knife wouldn't require that finger to bend back as much.

With the proper mechanism and some experimentation, it could be done with far less trouble than you'd expect.

As for the gun, modifying the cocking mechanism would be all that's required - modern handguns include autococking, why is it out of the question for Leonardo to have developed such a technology for Ezio?

Homemade hidden blades aren't necessarily the same idea as Ezio's is supposed to work in the game. I've seen homemade blades like that online as well and my thought in seeing them is that they were made that way because it was easiest crude mechanism to use, but I figured Ezio's would be more professional utilizing a simpler release mechanism. A blade that slides on ball bearings could easily be released with a simple wrist snap and forward thrust and lock into place. The motion would be fluid like this video of these drawer slides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBmVZnyXhg0

But as far separating the gun from the blade I think it would actually be more like Ezio would have to make a minor adjustment like flicking a switch to alternate between gun and blade. In playing AC2 you couldn't use the gun or the blade on the fly you had to open the weapon wheel and select one or the other so I don't think Ezio would be able to just operate the gun or the blade on the fly either... he'd have to adjust it to work the chosen mechanism to suit his needs prior to an engagement just like we have to when playing the game.

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Homemade hidden blades aren't necessarily the same idea as Ezio's is supposed to work in the game. I've seen homemade blades like that online as well and my thought in seeing them is that they were made that way because it was easiest crude mechanism to use, but I figured Ezio's would be more professional utilizing a simpler release mechanism. A blade that slides on ball bearings could easily be released with a simple wrist snap and forward thrust and lock into place. The motion would be fluid like this video of these drawer slides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBmVZnyXhg0

But as far separating the gun from the blade I think it would actually be more like Ezio would have to make a minor adjustment like flicking a switch to alternate between gun and blade. In playing AC2 you couldn't use the gun or the blade on the fly you had to open the weapon wheel and select one or the other so I don't think Ezio would be able to just operate the gun or the blade on the fly either... he'd have to adjust it to work the chosen mechanism to suit his needs prior to an engagement just like we have to when playing the game.

If you remember the scene where Ezio first has the hidden blade fixed, and is showing it to Paola, he activates it while it's facing upward, and does so without thrusting his hand forward. The mechanism you're describing wouldn't do that, but the one I've seen can. Also, it DID move fluidly, so I'm satisfied that while it may not be the mechanism they used, it's the closest I've seen to fitting the requirements. Most of the ones you see on Youtube and other sites have issues with fluidity, but that isn't necessarily a reflection of the mechanism's function - just the quality of that particular job. Using better materials, taking more care, using stronger springs, etc. can all produce more fluid action, depending on the specific example you're looking at.

As for the possibility of switching between gun and blade functions, THAT would be a good way to make it work more intuitively. Good call.

DeafAtheist
11-13-2010, 01:44 AM
If you remember the scene where Ezio first has the hidden blade fixed, and is showing it to Paola, he activates it while it's facing upward, and does so without thrusting his hand forward. The mechanism you're describing wouldn't do that, but the one I've seen can. Also, it DID move fluidly, so I'm satisfied that while it may not be the mechanism they used, it's the closest I've seen to fitting the requirements. Most of the ones you see on Youtube and other sites have issues with fluidity, but that isn't necessarily a reflection of the mechanism's function - just the quality of that particular job. Using better materials, taking more care, using stronger springs, etc. can all produce more fluid action, depending on the specific example you're looking at.

As for the possibility of switching between gun and blade functions, THAT would be a good way to make it work more intuitively. Good call.

I had forgotten about the scene, but I kind of remember it. Unfortunately I don't presently have my own copy of AC2 so I'd have to get a copy and replay that scene to refresh my memory, but the way you describe it sounds about right. The mechanism I described was mainly a personal preference. I just like the idea of Ezio simply snapping a wrist to activate the blade without having to pull on anything but it could very well be more like what you're describing.

obliviondoll
11-13-2010, 03:19 AM
I had forgotten about the scene, but I kind of remember it. Unfortunately I don't presently have my own copy of AC2 so I'd have to get a copy and replay that scene to refresh my memory, but the way you describe it sounds about right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYEH6YiKe4
2:05 shows it on a slight upward angle in Leonardo's workroom. 6:58 shows it on a higher angle in front of Paola (the scene I remembered).

DeafAtheist
11-13-2010, 03:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYEH6YiKe4
2:05 shows it on a slight upward angle in Leonardo's workroom. 6:58 shows it on a higher angle in front of Paola (the scene I remembered).

I see. Hard to make out a mechanism for releasing the blade other than a slight flick of the wrist which doesn't seem like enough force to release a blade. So who knows?

SolidSnakeMat
11-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Its a game it doesn't have to have an explanation just cool and kick more Templar butt.

F4H bandicoot
11-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Maybe a pressure activated type blade, te4nsing the muscles in your wrist up to the forearm???
either the bone (whihc sort of pops out when you both flick your wrist AND tense your muscles??? could activate it or said rope mechanism???