PDA

View Full Version : Is there a performance hit with a laptop on wireless internet?

tmdgm1
12-07-2005, 08:34 PM
My wife wants a laptop and a wireless internet/router so she can play on the internet while I'm on my desktop computer. Is there a performance hit if she is doing this while I play PF? I currently have cable modem.

mortoma
12-07-2005, 11:59 PM
If you're on cable you probably have sufficient bandwidth that you'd never notice the difference.

EnteringAccounT
12-08-2005, 12:30 AM
I have cable and use wireless for my comp in the garage and have had it downloading files while I was playing online. Could not tell a difference.

Tully__
12-08-2005, 06:04 AM
More likely have trouble with the neighbours sharing your cable than your wife's gaming. Cable bandwidth is shared between all subscribers on the same node. If you don't have trouble now, your wife's gaming is very unlikely to make a difference.

tmdgm1
12-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Cool, thanks. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Actually, it's not even as bad as that as I don't play online (although one of these days I will).

VW-IceFire
12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Won't make a huge difference.

I can be playing Pacific Fighters on my computer and my brother is bashing away on Raven Shield or WarCraft III at the same time and our router has no problem handling both with no visible performance loss.

Really the router isn't much to do with it. Your average wireless router can do 11mbps or 55mbps depending on if its B or G and then the wired component is 10mpbs or 100mbps depending on the cards involved. So keep in mind that the lowest speeds available are 10 and 11 mbps. Your average cable internet provider gives you 1mbps.

Your above average cable internet provider will give you between 2mbps and 5mbps. So really its your cable provider thats the biggest bottleneck at the moment...

And above all that...virtually no application can max out your theoretical bandwidth anyways. So your wife can surf all she wants. If she's downloading or streaming something big then performance hit there will be. But otherwise virtually no noticeable difference.

VR_Storm
12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Also, if you enable WEP encryption on your router (and set your PCs up with the appropriate network keys) then you won't have to worry about your neighbours stealing your bandwidth.

Professor1942
12-09-2005, 10:53 AM
The router you use makes a big difference too... don't get a D-Link (I have problems with mine) or anything you see for $19.99. I hear Linksys make great performing wireless routers.

Use WEP, or at least MAC address filtering, to prevent casual 'drive-by' connection stealers. Of course if by chance some hacker just happens to live next door to you in the basement, he will get in regardless, so don't expect 100% security with these measures.