PDA

View Full Version : Here's a sound mod idea.

Col_Tibbetts
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I have a great idea but I have no clue how to do it.

It is probably beyond the scope of todays technology or the devs time restrictions to have crew walking around on the decks of those ships we love to sink. And they have already said that there will be no lifeboats. However it is a little bit of an immersion killer to pull up right beside a lone C2 cargo and see nothing but a ghost ship.

But here is an idea. The closer you get the more you hear the SOUNDS of the crew on deck.

For example. Pull up beside a tanker and hear the crew yelling "U-Boat spotted!". Or plug a few holes in her side and hear the crew scrambling to man the lifeboats.

Sure you wouldn't see anything but hearing the action would be immersive. Heck, on a calm night in calm seas you would hear them from very far away.

So, is this possible?

Col_Tibbetts
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I have a great idea but I have no clue how to do it.

It is probably beyond the scope of todays technology or the devs time restrictions to have crew walking around on the decks of those ships we love to sink. And they have already said that there will be no lifeboats. However it is a little bit of an immersion killer to pull up right beside a lone C2 cargo and see nothing but a ghost ship.

But here is an idea. The closer you get the more you hear the SOUNDS of the crew on deck.

For example. Pull up beside a tanker and hear the crew yelling "U-Boat spotted!". Or plug a few holes in her side and hear the crew scrambling to man the lifeboats.

Sure you wouldn't see anything but hearing the action would be immersive. Heck, on a calm night in calm seas you would hear them from very far away.

So, is this possible?

W.Irving
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
How close do you think you'd have to be to hear the crew? 500mts? Considered the racket of the waves? Or the humming of your enginges and compressors? OR the engines of the ship?
You'd probably have to be closer than 100mts, as the spotters' jobs are to alert the commanding officer of your presence, and not you of their knowledge of your presence.

Col_Tibbetts
04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Sure. What you say is true if the engines are running, etc.

But have you ever pulled up beside a lone C3 cargo and killed your engines? Things get real quiet on a calm night. You would definately hear something.

I do this in the early war years because I have heard of capitans who pulled up along side lone ships and warned the crew to man the lifeboats.

After all hands were in the lifeboats their ship was then sunk.

It is the chivalrous thing to do.