PDA

View Full Version : D3A with level bombsigth ?

Wildnoob
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
hello folks!

I was in the D3A rear cockpit (gunner/radio operator position) and them seeing the instruments for the second aicraft position and saw this :

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6691/levelvl4.jpg

I belive it have to be a level bombsigth. I have a book about the B6N and in this book there's a image of the bombardier/navigator position and the bombsigth if not exactly is much close to be equal.

but I never heard about this, never.

any ideas dear pilot's of the community ?

X32Wright
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
It is possible because the Tenzan (B6N2) also has a level bombight but that plane also had an opening on the floor of the plane while the Aichi doesn't.

Wildnoob
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by X32Wright:
It is possible because the Tenzan (B6N2) also has a level bombight but that plane also had an opening on the floor of the plane while the Aichi doesn't.

I understand, but don't understand wat you mean by why carry a level bombsigth if the aicraft is not able use it ?

Hookecho
12-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Thats the "relief" tube.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Romanator21
01-24-2009, 05:54 AM
That looks like it has a lens, and that appears to look like what some Japanese bomb sights were like. Look at the bottom of the val, and there is something of a hole or window near the strange hanging protrusion.
Too bad we cant use it.

TAW_Oilburner
01-24-2009, 06:31 AM
It is a driftmeter used to determine effect of wind on plane in level flight for navigation. If i remember correctly it had a bubble in it (like a level) so you could tell when your level then look at landmarks and see how much you are drifting over a period of time. Having this you can calculate course adjustments to accomodate for wind drift.

Wildnoob
01-24-2009, 07:03 AM
thank you very much folks!

my first fligth sim was B-17 Flying Fortress the migth eigth by Micropose.

just now I remember that in the B-17 and of course all other bombers the navigator position that there's a similary device. and in the same bomber it was not like a tube like the one in the D3A, but in circle. it was a drift indicator that the navigator use to inform the bombardier the drift position of the aicraft to be imputed in the bombsigth. I just know this feature, even because it was rare to me take the controls of the plane, but is very good to know other aplication for the instrument.

really thanks for the attention and the explanations!