PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with squadron mates

Foehammer-1
11-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Alright, I have the original patched IL-2.

There is this mission where I get to fly the kind of IL with the 37-mm cannons, forgot what it's called in real life, the game calls it along the lines of IL-2 M3 or something.

Anyway, the objective is to not let the enemy break through our lines. Fair enough. It's me and 3 others in the flight.

Now, I am outfitted with PTAB's and BRS-132. I switch that to AJ-2, since I tend to kill more tanks that way. I drop my AJ liquid and kill 8 Panthers. My squad mates drop theirs and miss completely. Then I blow up a few light tanks with 37mm's and one of the fuel resupply columns with machine guns.

In the meantime, my mates fly about, even though I told them specifically to Attack Tanks.

Once in a while they try to shoot at Tigers with guns, to not much effect. The mission always ends in a failure.

Any ideas what to do? There are 8 Panthers, 4 Tigers, 4 light tanks you can blow up with cannons and 8 more that you can't. And remember, there are only 40 rounds per cannon (at least historically, I didn't count in-game).

Oh, and if I use default loadout, they still miss with PTAB's and maybe hit one or two tanks with BRS's, between the 3 of them...

Jex_TE
11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
The AI are a real pain. I've just started a BF109 campaign and I can't shoot anything down because they get there first or shoot over my sholder just as I'm about to make the shot. Talk about ruining my enjoyment - it's an exercise in frustration and I'm not getting much fun out of it at the mo...

noobisoft
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi Foehammer-1,

I feel your pain. The AI squad mates are often about as useful as a bunch of barrage balloons. In your mission, are there any instances where the tanks have to cross a bridge? (In which case you can get more bang for your buck by bombing the bridge while many vehicles are crossing.) Another suggestion is to have the AI "attack my target" and guide them into an appropriate attach pattern, though I wouldn't expect that to be highly fruitful either.

Please let us know if you come up with a good solution, and good luck.

Cheers

crucislancer
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Perhaps you might try telling them nothing? Just go ahead with your attack as planned, just don't order them to attack anything. They usually will make the attack, even though you didn't order it.

Buzzsaw-
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Salute

Did you padlock the target you want your wingmen to attack and then tell them to 'attack my target'?

Foehammer-1
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Uh, someone suggested padlocking some time ago.. I press the button for the next ground target, and tell to attack. They tend to go to some random truck and drop all their bombs on it.

Is there a way to tell what am I padlocking exactly?

Like, on a very easy mode in Lock On, you have a box around a locked target. Any way to tell this in this game?

And no, no bridges in sight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

crucislancer
11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
Uh, someone suggested padlocking some time ago.. I press the button for the next ground target, and tell to attack. They tend to go to some random truck and drop all their bombs on it.

Is there a way to tell what am I padlocking exactly?

Like, on a very easy mode in Lock On, you have a box around a locked target. Any way to tell this in this game?

And no, no bridges in sight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You will need to have padlock enabled in the difficulty screen. If you are playing a campaign, and you selected 'No Padlock' before you started, then it's can't be changed.

IIRC, when padlock is enabled, I think you hit F5 and an arrow will show up above the target. Hit F4 for air targets gives you a box.

The Attack My Target command only works when you padlock the target in question, so if padlock is disabled that command won't work.

Foehammer-1
11-08-2008, 06:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I checked it, and indeed I have padlock disabled, along with all other things, except external view. That's how I also play Silent Hunter 3, with only external view and all realism on.

Oh well.

Basically, I just shot up all I could (including a fighter), and flew home. It was still a mission failure, but at least I'm on the next mission now... And even though it was a failure, they gave me the second Golden Star of the Hero of the Soviet Union http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif