PDA

View Full Version : Question about realistic settings and navigation

Lav69
03-23-2004, 06:13 PM
When flying without map how does one know what the headings are for waypoints and when they have reached waypoints. Do you get coordinates prior to flight and have to know terrain to know when waypoints are reached? How does this work? Any help is appreciated.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, bios 1008
Nvidia nForce 2, Ultra 400 chipset
Antec 430w PS
Athlon XP 3200 (400fsb)
ATI Radeon 9700pro
1024mb Corsair XMS, twin x, pc3200, dual channel
120gb Maxtor, sata 150 - 120gb WD 7200rpm
SB Audigy
Windows XP, home
Saitek X45

Lav69
03-23-2004, 06:13 PM
When flying without map how does one know what the headings are for waypoints and when they have reached waypoints. Do you get coordinates prior to flight and have to know terrain to know when waypoints are reached? How does this work? Any help is appreciated.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, bios 1008
Nvidia nForce 2, Ultra 400 chipset
Antec 430w PS
Athlon XP 3200 (400fsb)
ATI Radeon 9700pro
1024mb Corsair XMS, twin x, pc3200, dual channel
120gb Maxtor, sata 150 - 120gb WD 7200rpm
SB Audigy
Windows XP, home
Saitek X45

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-23-2004, 07:10 PM
If you look at your compass there will be two needles and inner needle and an external needle. Its one single needle inside two needles on american aircraft I think. In the 109 its a yellow needle, when that points up your heading in the right direction, all needles are differnet you just have to know which aircraft you're in. But be warned that needles might point you in the wrong direction and send you back to a previous waypiont. If you in campaign mode just follow you buddies.

"We went like this, He went like that, I said to Hollywood 'Where'd he go?', Hollywood said, 'Where'd WHO go'-TOPGUN

Covino
03-23-2004, 07:12 PM
If you're flying full real without any repeater compass, forget the suggested waypoints. Remember KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.

When in the briefing just look at your target (that's the only thing you need to reach in a mission) and figure out your own path there using landmarks/roads/rivers (sketches may help on long trips).

You may want to figure a path back or you might just like to use the radio to ask for the vector back to home base.

Remember, in full real, in-game all you get is a simple map. No waypoints, no plane icon, nothing. Do all your planning during the briefing or you will regret it! but once you complete a mission this way, it's very rewarding. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

horseback
03-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Also, remember that most Soviet fighters have their compass hidden beneath the gunsight, and you just can't read it. If you're going into a Russian fighter campaign, don't give your speedbar up without a fight!

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

El Turo
03-24-2004, 10:23 AM
Are there printable maps with radials from airfields/cities for IL2FB?

I wish there was a way to increase the SIZE of the in-flight map as well (not just zoom in/out).. that's rather annoying.

As a result, I usually fly offline with navigation waypoints and my white aircraft icon to simulate my pilot having a full set of working maps and functional knowledge of the lay of the land.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

SithSpeeder
03-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Check out this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=643108792

Also, check out the links in this thread and print out your own maps.

I learned a lot from it.

* _54th_Speeder *

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/400x200sig.jpg