PDA

View Full Version : Phantom fighter or killer storm?

GrinderX9
02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry I know my English is realy bad, but plz read enyway, I Realy wonder what hapend to my lovely U-47 (a VIIb).

I am on my 5 patrol in mai 1940, it is full storm (15m). It has been an long and boring patrol, down to 35% fuel. I am traweling on the surface locking for a contact that should be close bye, no visual . I use 120 timecompresion, sudently whitout warning alarm bell rings and the boat is floading! Damage all over the boat. I am by now sinking fast, but my good team of brave men gett it under control at 60m.

Again back on the surface and everything point in the direction that i vill survive. But the boat still has floading and, not one part of the boat is whitout damge. But the engine is working and i continue in the direction of my target. After some minutes most of the damage is fixt, and I dive to make a hydrophone test... Dang im stupid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif , the uboat dont stop at 12m, but continue down at a fast speed, floading now everyvere. Full ahead speed and blow all balast, nothing hapens, 40...50...60... lights begin to go out.... 70....80.. BANG!!! 83m and I hit the botom. My incredible team of men once again manage to get the flooding under control and sudenly the boat begin to rise... very slovly back to the surface, the bateries destroyd and unable to help the climb back upp.

I now deside to go back to kiel (i am right east of England). But sudenly i got a visual on my contact. Its a costal mercant (sorry dont know how to spell), its 3000m and coming tovards me at a perfect fire posision. I am not good at manual shooting, and whith 15m storm I dident hawe much hope of hitting, I fire two torpedoes and to my big suprise one of them hit, after 2 minutes it sinks.

I now starts the long trip home, but before i can start timecompresion I notice the floading has startet again, sudently BANG! my boat shakes hard and sudently the boad is read whit damage everyvere again! Floading in every compartment, I fight this for some time, but in the end I sink and dies.

Playing at 89% dificulty and whit patch 1.4b and Rub 1.45.

So, why did i get the damage in the first place?
dident use more then 120*time when I got the damge, My people on the bridge should notice eny plane and boats.
And storm cant damage a submarine... can they? No I KNOW they cant...
So the time compresion is at fault here then? I could understand at 2048... but at 120???

GrinderX9
02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry I know my English is realy bad, but plz read enyway, I Realy wonder what hapend to my lovely U-47 (a VIIb).

I am on my 5 patrol in mai 1940, it is full storm (15m). It has been an long and boring patrol, down to 35% fuel. I am traweling on the surface locking for a contact that should be close bye, no visual . I use 120 timecompresion, sudently whitout warning alarm bell rings and the boat is floading! Damage all over the boat. I am by now sinking fast, but my good team of brave men gett it under control at 60m.

Again back on the surface and everything point in the direction that i vill survive. But the boat still has floading and, not one part of the boat is whitout damge. But the engine is working and i continue in the direction of my target. After some minutes most of the damage is fixt, and I dive to make a hydrophone test... Dang im stupid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif , the uboat dont stop at 12m, but continue down at a fast speed, floading now everyvere. Full ahead speed and blow all balast, nothing hapens, 40...50...60... lights begin to go out.... 70....80.. BANG!!! 83m and I hit the botom. My incredible team of men once again manage to get the flooding under control and sudenly the boat begin to rise... very slovly back to the surface, the bateries destroyd and unable to help the climb back upp.

I now deside to go back to kiel (i am right east of England). But sudenly i got a visual on my contact. Its a costal mercant (sorry dont know how to spell), its 3000m and coming tovards me at a perfect fire posision. I am not good at manual shooting, and whith 15m storm I dident hawe much hope of hitting, I fire two torpedoes and to my big suprise one of them hit, after 2 minutes it sinks.

I now starts the long trip home, but before i can start timecompresion I notice the floading has startet again, sudently BANG! my boat shakes hard and sudently the boad is read whit damage everyvere again! Floading in every compartment, I fight this for some time, but in the end I sink and dies.

Playing at 89% dificulty and whit patch 1.4b and Rub 1.45.

So, why did i get the damage in the first place?
dident use more then 120*time when I got the damge, My people on the bridge should notice eny plane and boats.
And storm cant damage a submarine... can they? No I KNOW they cant...
So the time compresion is at fault here then? I could understand at 2048... but at 120???

GrinderX9
02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
lol, this is the real fate of U-47, found this on Uboat.net

Previously recorded fate (Last revised by FDS/NHB during June 1991)
There is till today not certain confirmation, how U-47 was lost. For years was it believed that the British destroyer HMS Wolverine sank U-47 on 8 March, 1941 after depth charges attacks, but the Wolverine actually attacked Eckermann's U-A.

Possible reasons for the loss of U-47 include mines, by its own torpedoes or by an attack by British corvettes HMS Camellia and HMS Arbutus.

On 14 Oct, 1939 the boat made its incredible raid on Scapa Flow sinking the British battleship HMS Royal Oak.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-16-2006, 07:09 PM
1. Where location were you in? Where you near a port?

2. Was it raining? Or was it clear with heavy winds?

3. Are you using the standard fatigue? Or are you using "No Fatigue" for your crew?

If you're near a port, it could have been a mine

If it's raining, then it wasn't an air attack. I have yet to see aircraft fly in bad weather on my patrols (other people may have seen it though). If it was fog, then it could have been a destroyer or some other patrol craft that attacked you.

If your crew is fatigued, then that would play a big factor in why you didn't spot the culprit beforehand. In addition, some folks here reported that you can be attacked by an aircraft before it's spotted by your watch crew while under time compression.

By the way, your English isn€t that bad. Needs a little work, but not bad at all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

trident42
02-16-2006, 07:39 PM
i have never heard of what you have experienced, so much damage. sounds like what the otherssaid, mines near port and the like. your English is very good, considering my foreign languages in any language is rubbish!!

GrinderX9
02-16-2006, 07:57 PM
1.I were in grid AN51, 79 km from Land (east of south Scotland). There was no Port near.

2. Hmm... it clear with heavy winds.

3. I am using standard fatige, for RuB 1.45 that is.

I loadet the save game, right before the uboat sinks for the last time, there is almost no damage to the sub, only a smal floading in one of the compartments. No planes in the air and no other boates on the surface so long the eye can see. But also this time the boat sudenly explode whit damage and gets heavy floading. No enemy nerbye, and I dident start the engine, so i dident ram a mine. Phantom fighters, secret Brit spittfire whit cloacking device, Tie fighters? BUGS!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Robards
02-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Sounds like mines to me.

general_kalle
02-18-2006, 03:20 PM
lool my sub is also called U47 and its a version VIIB sub!!! by the way Günter priens(scapa flow Hero) sub was also named U47

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-18-2006, 05:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AaD-Marine:
I got a IXB U-108, what sank the real U-108 boat? like his is still mystery as to why it sank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at this site. Perhaps it will answer your question on the fate of U-108.

Fate of U-108 (http://uboat.net/boats/u108.htm)