PDA

View Full Version : AC2 - how different from AC1?

Chiles4
06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
To start, everything I've read here seems to imply that AC2 is a fantastic game. When I played AC1, I found much of it to be groundbreaking - different from any game I've played before it. Unfortunately, I only got about 1/3 to 1/2 through AC1. It got so repetitive that I could not continue playing. Even thinking about AC1 gives me a headache.

Is it fair to say that the AC2 experience is much improved over AC1? I just don't want to buy the game if it's just as repetitive.

TJByrum2
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
A lot better.

I would say.

See, every mission is different, and requires ACTION. Plus their isn't as much dialogue (if you hated that). Ezio comes with new skills and weapons. He has a poison blade, hidden gun, and double blades. He also has to take medicine, you can buy new weapons, get paintings for your villa, buy new armor to increase health, the new counters are awesome as well.

Poison, hidden blades, hidden pistol, sword, mace, dagger, knives, fists, gold, smoke bombs... these are all weapons. Not to mention the two-handed ones you can get from Brutes and Seekers, like spears, swords and axes.

Fighting seems better, plus the 'taunt' command can eliminate the long waits in combat. You can now 'climb leap' as well. If you see something you can't climb to, just jump up and grab onto it.

Those flags in AC1 had no value other than points for your XBOX profile. Well now seals, statues, feathers, paitings and all give you better armor, money, a cape etc.

Ezio is also a lot more likable than Altair, though he seems newbish.

Just get it. Sadly, after you beat it (AC1 as well), it is barely fun.

BK-110
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
They did a lot to create diversity in ACII. There are a lot of different kinds of missions all the time. It's definitely different in that aspect.

I myself didn't mind Assassin's Creed. To be honest, I found it to be a great game and I finished it twice. Nothing compared to how many times I've finished ACII, though.

Six_Gun
06-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Aside from what's been mentioned, one of the main differences between the first and this one is the combat is lots easier in this one, too easy many have complained. All you need do is hold a block stance and wait for the attacks (which come very slowly one at a time usually) then counter attack, which is easy to do.

When you tire of that you can taunt as mentioned, but taunts are often more than short quips and unless you're standing a ways away the attacker will get in a blow before Ezio finishes his taunt. The result can be lots of broken taunts as you often need to engage in combat in the middle of them, which interrupts them. You can also walk amongst your attackers (and/or quick step) while your guard is down to bring attacks more quickly and less predictably from your foes.

Overall I agree with the above though, AC2 is a much better game than AC1 and there's lots to do and lots of variety to it. It's also MUCH more RPG in nature. Some flaws IMO though are there's WAY too much money available and combat is easy even with the weakest of weapons and no armor. Also you cannot drop a weapon and it's hard to tell what you're about to pick up sometimes. This means if you get your sword knocked out of your hand and pick up the wrong one to replace it with, you have to go all the way back to your Villa HQ weapon display room to get it back.

lilbacchant
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Six_Gun:
Also you cannot drop a weapon and it's hard to tell what you're about to pick up sometimes. This means if you get your sword knocked out of your hand and pick up the wrong one to replace it with, you have to go all the way back to your Villa HQ weapon display room to get it back.

Yeah, that is really, really annoying.

Chiles4
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the great info. It sounds as if AC2 really was a big step forward.

I read about the DRM on Amazon - it seems as if our worst nightmares have arrived. I wonder if, years later, after most all AC2 sales have stopped, if Ubi will release a patch to deactivate the DRM. That would be a really nice gesture to peeps.

I'm sure I'll pick up this game at some point - probably after the price has dropped some more. The price is still holding up well - a good sign.

Echo Yin
06-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Six_Gun:
Also you cannot drop a weapon and it's hard to tell what you're about to pick up sometimes. This means if you get your sword knocked out of your hand and pick up the wrong one to replace it with, you have to go all the way back to your Villa HQ weapon display room to get it back.

exactly, i was out of breath when first time i saw the sword of altair was on the ground and a weaker sword in Ezio's hand. Then returned to villa everything turned to okay.

godofzer0
06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Echoness:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Six_Gun:

exactly, i was out of breath when first time i saw the sword of altair was on the ground and a weaker sword in Ezio's hand. Then returned to villa everything turned to okay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really sure this has happened to me, then again I rarely fight with my sword. I never figured out how to counter with the hidden blade in the first AC, not even sure it was possible and you couldn't fight with it, so in the current game I use the hidden blades all the time. I guess with so many weapons at your disposal, for me the sword takes a back seat. Plus the kill animations for the sword are pretty much the same from AC1 and I got tired of those real quick.