PDA

View Full Version : FFB2, want to buy and a question

AFJ_rsm
01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey all

Well I've had my new laptop for about 5 months now, it kicks *** and I love it. Only thing is, my old joystick doesn't work on it (ms ffb pro, no gameport on the lappy).

So I've gathered some money and decided to take the plunge on a FFB2, but there's two things:

1. What is the difference between the red trigger and gray trigger one? I know the red one was a newer version, but is it worth it to skip a good deal on a gray button one to wait for a red one?

2. Does anyone here, hopefully in the states, or in costa rica (doubtful heh) have a spare one that you're willing to sell? I'd figure I'd try the community first before going the ebay route.

Thanks!

Bearcat99
01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I beliebve the red trigger ones had a newer firmware..

I have no idea where you could get one..

AFJ_rsm
01-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks

Yes, that's what I understood from the things I had read about the reg vs gray trigger versions, but curiously I haven't come across any specific differences, pros vs cons, etc between the two versions.

Has anyone else got any relevant info? Or anyone with one to sell?

Tarpin
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't know much about the grey trigger but I've been using a red trigger ffb2 for about 8 years, still works like it's new out of the box. I have 2 X-52s, a CH flightstick, and a Cougar HOTAS but keep going back to the ffb2 and X-52 throttle quadrant. Figured I'd never let go of the old ffb2, but if the price was right...how badly do you want one? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AFJ_rsm
01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
A stick with 8 years of constant use?

I'd say not more than $40-50. I can't imagine it working like it just came out of the box, I saw what years of use did to my original FFB pro.

Tarpin
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Actually it does! Granted, the paint on the hat switch is a little worn but, mechanically, it's perfect! I think the ffb2 and ffb pro are completely different animals. As a pilot with almost all of my time in small a/c with sticks(as apposed to yokes), the ffb2 has the most accurate feel of any game stick I have tried, and I've tried plenty (including the ffb pro, my first game stick)!
Good luck on your search, there's 5 of 'em listed on ebay right now...IMHO, it's the best game stick ever made, not alot of chi-chi buttons but the feel is excellent and it's absolutely bullet proof, at least my has been...
$50 for my ffb2? No way. But for both of my x-52s(minus one throttle), hell yeah. And hey, my CH and Cougar are pratically brand new! Let me know if you're interested...

Bearcat99
01-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Tarpin:
IMHO, it's the best game stick ever made, not alot of chi-chi buttons but the feel is excellent and it's absolutely bullet proof, at least my has been...

+1

AFJ_rsm
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your posts Tarpin!

And thanks for the offer on the X52's and the CH gear, but I'm the same mind with you and bearcat on this one. Either it's a FFB2 for me or I'd rather save the money to wait for one. I know it's THAT good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'll keep an eye on the 'bay.

Again thanks for the offers and taking the time to reply!

Bearcat99
01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
The thing I like the most about it has little to do with the FFB effects... it is the FFB stick tension that gets me. You ca feel damage in the wing because the stick respods to you. In thesim if you turn on FFB when you ALT+TAB or WiN out back to theDT and then go back into the sim you will loose your stick tension... Because of that I turn FFB off so I dont get the gunshake andf the hit effexts... or the stick shake... but the stick tension on a MSFFB isbetter than any spring could ever be and even with FFB off in the sim you will still get stick tension and it will remain whether you AT or WIN out or not.

AFJ_rsm
01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I used to use the modded forcefeedback files mantis made to tone down the gunshake forces, so I could still get control surface effects. It was heaven.

Troll2k
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Look here: http://www.gogamer.com/Microso...444710VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-2-Joystick-Front-Page_stcVVproductId27947627VVcatId444710VVviewprod .htm)

It says out of stock but it might be worth an email to find out if it is ever coming back.

AFJ_rsm
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Interesting.

Thanks troll, email sent, fingers crossed.