PDA

View Full Version : I am burning out quickly too

reumatiib
04-19-2005, 10:23 AM
I think I will soon join those many who have hung up their SH3 caps. This game brings back the line in Back To The Future Three, where the train engineer asks the two time travelers if they are robbing the train, and he is told, "No, it's a science experiment..."
The same with SH3 with me after 3 weeks. Is it a SIM? Well, not really unless you consider subs and ships with all the incorect physics to be a sim. Is it a game? Well, no, not if you consider that you have to spend hours each week watching a tiny blip on the sceen warp through time - slowly across a map - while you try to keep your eye lids open.

What it is, is an ART PROGRAM that makes some really neat U-boat pictures. This was my worry back in early March, and it is my full opinion now.

I had hoped that the mod makers would solve some of this, but I see that SH3 makers did not make enough of the game open for this kind of work and that the mod makers will likley not solve most of the troubles. I doubt the DEV team will alter their physics programs or basic map system either.

As for the Mod makers, their ideas also disturb me - such as making it impossible for crewmen to rest. That's not realism, that's just REAL DUMB.

I realize that most of the real talent out there does not waste time making mods for sub-games. In fact, most of the gaming talent does not even make sub-games. Sub games always tend to indeed be SUB-standard.

EFileTahi-A
04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reumatiib:
I think I will soon join those many who have hung up their SH3 caps.(...)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The same with SH3 with me after 3 weeks. Is it a SIM? Well, not really unless you consider subs and ships with all the incorect physics to be a sim.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I understand why there is so many ppl posting so many threads regarding this "physics thing". NOT! (sighs...)

Is it a game?Well, no, not if you consider that you have to spend hours each week watching a tiny blip on the sceen warp through time - slowly across a map - while you try to keep your eye lids open.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody said you were forced to play the game that way, you can always switch to 3D view and play the game with no time comrpession at all, this will be untra realistic and should compensate the "incorrect physics" issue... And your're right this is not a game.

What?!

You thought this would be a WWII Submarine Simulator? Sorry to say but what you brought was an educational DVD video about making pancakes in space after running out of air.

I had hoped that the mod makers would solve some of this, but I see that SH3 makers did not make enough of the game open for this kind of work and that the mod makers will likley not solve most of the troubles. I doubt the DEV team will alter their physics programs or basic map system either.

As for the Mod makers, their ideas also disturb me - such as making it impossible for crewmen to rest. That's not realism, that's just REAL DUMB.

I realize that most of the real talent out there does not waste time making mods for sub-games. In fact, most of the gaming talent does not even make sub-games. Sub games always tend to indeed be SUB-standard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say you hoped that mod makers would solve some of the things you don't like the pancake video when you actualy say that talent ppl not waste time making mods for pancake-videos. In fact, most of the gaming talent does not even make pancakes.

Here you go buddy, I think you got the kinda answer you were looking for when you created this thread in first place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/EFileTahi-A/EFile_Torpedo_banner_last.jpg

Shark....
04-19-2005, 02:40 PM
reumatiib

Why don't know go buy a uboat and go sail around the world then if you want a perfect simulation lol.

You can charge for rides and renact uboat attacks!

The Russians let you fly fighter planes for $12,000 to $35,000 a ride why not duplicate that concept for an old restored german uboat.

Barracus0411
04-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Some peoples glasses are half empty, others are half full

U-49
04-19-2005, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reumatiib:
I realize that most of the real talent out there does not waste time making mods for sub-games. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"Waste time?"

You're implying that this genre doesn't warrant the time, talent or resources to put together a good mod. I'm sure a few people reading this wonder why you bothered trying a sub sim at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In fact, most of the gaming talent does not even make sub-games. Sub games always tend to indeed be SUB-standard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You know, it's one thing to not enjoy a game and be able to articulate it in a decent manner. Though what you typed in the above quote is mean-spirited and insulting to the devs of Ubisoft's Romanian Studio. SH3 may be far from perfect, but it's arguably the best sub sim to date, and will undoubtedly continue to improve and evolve with time.

You don't like it? Wonderful. Move along...

scourtney2
04-19-2005, 05:04 PM
reumatiib ,

All I have to say to you is, good riddance! You have been registered here for only about a month and I seem to remember the days when reumatiib would post three or four new threads, one after the other, all about some USELESS, INANE, and RIDICULOUS topic! You sure managed to rack up your 200+ posts in short order, and I can't seem to recall one meaningfull contribution you gave this community.

Have fun, go play half life, watch u-571, and moan about how bad SH3 was.

I'll be in the North Atlantic, playing the best u-boat sim that has been created yet. It is not perfect. It is sometimes irritating, but it is the best we have and it puts a huge smile on this captain's face.

Farewell!

Barracus0411
04-19-2005, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scourtney2:
reumatiib ,

All I have to say to you is, good riddance! You have been registered here for only about a month and I seem to remember the days when reumatiib would post three or four new threads, one after the other, all about some USELESS, INANE, and RIDICULOUS topic! You sure managed to rack up your 200+ posts in short order, and I can't seem to recall one meaningfull contribution you gave this community.

Have fun, go play half life, watch u-571, and moan about how bad SH3 was.

I'll be in the North Atlantic, playing the best u-boat sim that has been created yet. It is not perfect. It is sometimes irritating, but it is the best we have and it puts a huge smile on this captain's face.

Farewell! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too right

Johnny_JG2
04-19-2005, 05:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barracus0411:
Some peoples glasses are half empty, others are half full <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And for some, the glass is just way too big.

RedTerex
04-19-2005, 05:47 PM
SHIII is one of the best video games/simulations out ever for this type of criteria, ie WWII maritme adventure.

It encapsulates the best a PC can offer for depicting a simulation of a U-boat in WWII.

There are bugs and glitches in SHIII as in ANY Video game releas, I aint found a clean one yet!

SHIII was well worth the wait.

Silent Hunter modders are some of the best I have ever seen. The PA crew were just awesome in their endevours and indeed final result with SHII.

If SHIII doesnt hit the mark with you, fine, just move on to the next PC game.
And we should not expect to see you in here again...should we !

"you cant please everyone! "

Simmoxx
04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
i think he makes valid points and the forum is where these things are discussed,personally,i havent touched the game for ages now.for mostly the same reasons.
its been said before i know,
however,its the small details that make a good sim great
you guys sound like youd except anything and still call it great and belittle anyone who doesnt think the same
i think SH3 isnt a bad first effort.but i wouldnt call it great.
lets hope they give us what was promoted before its release?
i guess they have to start somewhere and heres hoping it only gets better from here

Johnny_JG2
04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Has there EVER been ANY game in history that you don't burn out on? If not, then why aren't you still playing it?

Doesn't matter what the game is, or how good or bad it is- you'll get sick of it when you play constantly.

No news here..

AStotzer
04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simmoxx:
i think SH3 isnt a bad first effort.but i wouldnt call it great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Can you count to three?

TASKFORCE1x1
05-02-2005, 03:26 AM
There is always light at the end of the tunnel. I'm working on a multiplayer mission where u can get a few convoys traveling through a straight. One at a time.

alanschu
05-02-2005, 03:59 AM
At least we won't have to worry about him complaining that 300 lb depth charges aren't as damaging as the information he read up on for 600 lb depth charges.

I can't believe this twit had the nerve to label everyone here as arcade fanatics who don't know what a real simulation would be, and then later complain that hiding at the bottom of the ocean not moving worked in SH3. (For those that don't know, hiding at a deep depth and not moving was actually a real tactic that worked).

He was just a troll. He'd post something, and you'd criticize it, and he'd continue on like you said nothing. He'd keep repeating the same junk, despite NUMEROUS people posting links that contradicted his point. After all, only his link was right.

I agree with everyone...good riddance.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by TASKFORCE1x1:
There is always light at the end of the tunnel. I'm working on a multiplayer mission where u can get a few convoys traveling through a straight. One at a time.
Necromancy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

citycowboy
05-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Lovo_Kasistan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TASKFORCE1x1:
Necromancy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno if resurrecting a 13day old thread is truly considered a necro just yet....

pmckelvy
05-02-2005, 07:03 AM
It's too bad you're leaving. Now where will we get our information on physics and the performance of exploding depth charges. It was nice having someone around who obviously captained or at least served on a U-boat during the war and watched first hand depth charges explode underwater. Now I suppose us uneducated boobs will have to make do with just guessing about ship physics. Darn I'm sure that means that in my ignorance I'll end up liking this half done arcade style sub shooter.

Sarcasm off/

Mac

harryrriedl
05-02-2005, 07:19 AM
lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

the vhap poster

Indianer.
05-02-2005, 07:34 AM
cap already hung up.

Beuf_Ninja
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I was starting to get a liitle burned out on SHIII so now I am trying out the fine art of MANUAL TDC. Once I've mastered that I'll go full Historical to keep me on my toes. I don't think SHII is an arcade or a sub-sim, it's a management sim with an infinite number of trigonometric problems to be solved in order to succeed. That, however, is what I wanted all along! As for the tidal currents mods and so on I'll maybe get to them once I've TOTALLY MASTERED HISTORICAL realism. I don't think anyone can complain about this "interactive media" product until they've played it 100%

Horvald
05-02-2005, 09:45 AM
It simply sucks,it was a waste of my time blah blah blah. I am talking about this thread http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. if he is so interested in realism why doesnt he act the part of a real uboat captain and leave the scene quietly. If it really is a game issue then post a topic so ubi can read but if you are getting bored please dont feel the urge to let everyone else know. all the other people on this forum enjoy the game and are trying to share their experiences and help others to make this game better. We dont want to know what you do every little second of the day so dont bother with here go to some other forum for that. (this is not personal this goes out to everyone else who wants to let us know he is bored and leaving)well that was my 2 cents. I have to go to the bathroom now and then hit up the stores and get some lunch..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

U161_Jaeger
05-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by pmckelvy:
It's too bad you're leaving. Now where will we get our information on physics and the performance of exploding depth charges. It was nice having someone around who obviously captained or at least served on a U-boat during the war and watched first hand depth charges explode underwater. Now I suppose us uneducated boobs will have to make do with just guessing about ship physics. Darn I'm sure that means that in my ignorance I'll end up liking this half done arcade style sub shooter.

Sarcasm off/

Mac

Bwahahaha http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've played IL-2 Sturmovik since it's release and i still do. I will play Silent Hunter III for a long time to come. So many mods, coming patches and hopefully expansion kits. Silent Hunter III is one of the, imho, best simulations out there.