PDA

View Full Version : Console exclusivity?

ace3001
01-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I've been hearing lots of people say that the next ACs will be console-only. But I want to hope that it won't be so. With ACB PC still not even at the horizon, my hope is dwindling a bit. Wonder whether ACB PC will actually see the light of day.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Could the next ACs be console-only? Is there anything Ubisoft could gain by going for console exclusivity?

maglaromuna
01-22-2011, 02:25 AM
no i dont think it should be exclusive only to proper consoles. it is just unfair for those people who prefer pc.

YHHTQ
01-22-2011, 02:36 AM
I doubt it will ever be a console exclusive, but just like in the other games in the series, they will be delayed until Ubisoft says "it's ready"... whatever that means of course.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me... I'll keep playing the games on consoles first and once it's released for the PC, I'll play there too.

AnthonyA85
01-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Ubisoft would never make a game series Console exclusive mid-way through (or even at the end), they'd cut off a third of their customer base, which as already frustrated as it is. Cutting off AC's PC fanbase would be comercial suicide, because those same fans would never again buy any other Ubisoft game, regardless of it's Platform, and apparently, Ubisoft isn't doing as well as it once did financially.

jzsnyder
01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
^ is right.
Besides, PC owners are near and dear to ubisofts hearts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ThaWhistle
01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
Ubisoft would never make a game series Console exclusive mid-way through (or even at the end), they'd cut off a third of their customer base, which as already frustrated as it is. Cutting off AC's PC fanbase would be comercial suicide, because those same fans would never again buy any other Ubisoft game, regardless of it's Platform, and apparently, Ubisoft isn't doing as well as it once did financially.

Yes they would. and they have.

Ghost Recon 2 for example. We were told to wait, the game would come out soon. Then they announced, after jerking us around for MONTHS that they had cancelled the development.

SAVMATIC
01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Clearly Ubi does NOT care about PC anything, considering the game has been out since november with a couple patches but nothing about PC. And no it is not even close to 1/3rd of their fanbase, its a very very small percentage and thats why they have chosen to look past it for now. Its likely they lose money making the PC version compared to how much of it they sell, compared to the console games which they are working on making more of instead of worrying about PC. Playing games like these on PC is a thing of the past, if you like AC, better get a console.

SquarePolo27
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Folks, let me put it to you in black and white.

Who remembers GTA4 port for the PC?
How many bugs did it have in it?
Do you want that to happen to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood?

Ubisoft will always release AC for the PC but they want to make sure that they hit it on the head.

AubreyWilborn
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jacobbsny10:
^ is right.
Besides, PC owners are near and dear to ubisofts hearts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

What are you smoking? Can I have some? OF COURSE Ubisoft is capable of making all future AC games console only. That is a VERY LIKELY thing.

Ubisoft has made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that they don't care much for us PC gamers. I preordered the PC version of ACB from Best Buy,in May 2010. And that was for a November release. Yet here it is, January 2011, PC gamers are waiting for Ubisoft to tell us when they're going to release the game FOR REAL. We're still waiting on a release date, for the release date of the PC version. Now, will Ubisoft lose money by cutting out the PC market? Yes. Is cutting out the PC market a "bad idea"? Yeah-especially in these days, where STEAM has made the PC market that much more profitable and accesible. But I doubt Ubisoft cares about all of this.

Also, It's not likely that the delay is to make the PC version "better" for PC users. Some of UbiGabe's tweets have implied that Ubisoft COULD have released the game much earlier, if they wanted to. This delay was planned from the beginning.

I'm willing to bet that if ACB gets released for the PC, it will be the last PC release of the series. The current trends indicate as much.

Warforger
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
I've been hearing lots of people say that the next ACs will be console-only. But I want to hope that it won't be so. With ACB PC still not even at the horizon, my hope is dwindling a bit. Wonder whether ACB PC will actually see the light of day.
Anyway, what do you guys think? Could the next ACs be console-only? Is there anything Ubisoft could gain by going for console exclusivity?

No. The only reason there are console exclusives is because they're paid by either Microsoft or Sony to do it are developed by those respective companies. Microsoft and Sony both have a foothold in the PC market, there would be little reason for them to have a exclusive on PS3 and Xbox 360 and not on the PC.

Sarahfla
01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
It seems like they snub pc users a little, though not on the level that Rockstar does(giving us shoddy ports from a console version). They only hurt themselves by doing that. I'm done with buying consoles. They cost almost as much as a full blown pc now so it's not worth it to get one anymore. PS2 was my last console, now i'm totally a pc gamer.

ace3001
01-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Sticker704:
Folks, let me put it to you in black and white.

Who remembers GTA4 port for the PC?
How many bugs did it have in it?
Do you want that to happen to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood?

Ubisoft will always release AC for the PC but they want to make sure that they hit it on the head. GTA4 is quite different. That was the first time the GTA4 engine (can't remember its name) appeared on PC. (Remember that LC Episodes wasn't buggy like that?) ACB runs on the same engine as AC2, which they successfully ported to PC.

Well, if AC does not come out for PC after this, I guess I'll give up on Ubisoft games. Now with Mr. Creative Director gone, who knows what the next game will be like, anyway? If I buy a console for that and it turns out to be terrible...

Auditorexxx
01-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I personally dont think that ac would be exclusive to one console. The series seems to be pleasing both consoles and seems to be doing well.

ace3001
01-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by AuditoreRed:
I personally dont think that ac would be exclusive to one console. The series seems to be pleasing both consoles and seems to be doing well. You don't even know a third platform exists, do you? I said "exclusive to consoles", not "exclusive to one console".

LCGuardian
01-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by SAVMATIC:
Clearly Ubi does NOT care about PC anything, considering the game has been out since november with a couple patches but nothing about PC. And no it is not even close to 1/3rd of their fanbase, its a very very small percentage and thats why they have chosen to look past it for now. Its likely they lose money making the PC version compared to how much of it they sell, compared to the console games which they are working on making more of instead of worrying about PC. Playing games like these on PC is a thing of the past, if you like AC, better get a console.

I'd be pretty certain that Ubisoft don't lose money on the PC version. Given that AC1 and AC2 have both been pretty basic ports of the console version, they're not going to cost any significant amount extra over the base work which is common to all three platforms. Even if they don't shift that many units of the PC version, they don't need to in order to break even on it.

I think if they were going to abandon the PC it would have been with AC2. I can't see the series being dumped at this point on PC, despite the fact they really do treat the PC gamer as second class citizens. I strongly suspect that the PC version is moderately profitable, and given that Ubisoft's finances are pretty rubbish at the moment they need every cent of profits they can get.

BioPulse.ps3
01-24-2011, 03:05 AM
whether the pc version comes out with the console version or not is beside the point of this topic. Like many have said before me ubisoft does not have any reason to abandon the pc market (how ever big or small it is), at the end of the day there is still profit to be made. So no, for the current ac franchise the probability of it becoming console only is very low.

HiddenBlaDe00
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm sure Ubisoft has a team of advisors in marketing, in human resources, in consumer relations and various statistics that provide them with enough data to make decisions based on the current market's climate.

My point is: Until there is some official announcement made by the company in question, everything that anyone thinks is mere speculation.

Also, I'd like to point out that game development is an expensive enterprise, so if a AAA title like AC won't bring in revenue, it will be cut regardless of it's medium/method of application.

Remember, think cash.

Mr_Shade
01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by HiddenBlaDe00:

My point is: Until there is some official announcement made by the company in question, everything that anyone thinks is mere speculation. Indeed...

Much like release dates for certain games etc - until there is an official statement about the subject - it's just assumptions.

There is currently no plans to release on only one console / format.

Auditorexxx
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AuditoreRed:
I personally dont think that ac would be exclusive to one console. The series seems to be pleasing both consoles and seems to be doing well. You don't even know a third platform exists, do you? I said "exclusive to consoles", not "exclusive to one console". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes im aware of more than one console. Must of misread your post.