PDA

View Full Version : Fave way to play AC?

dQuarters
11-22-2007, 04:53 AM
My favourite way to play this game I learned on my second go around. I really enjoyed my first run through his game, but I felt it was a little too... find the dot on the map easy.
Solution: I turned off ALL the HUD elements. And it's like playing AC on expert! I'm LOVING it!

- Weapon display off: It's easy to know which one you've equipped. And the extra challenge is counting your blades.
- Sync bar off: You have to watch the guards. You have to hear them, too. And as far as your life is concerned when in a fight... fight better! lol. knowing when you've broken the line of sight is a bit tricky, but you get used to it.
- The puppeteering display: Who needs that aside from VERY early on.
- GPS display: This is by far the hardest to live without. But why not go all the way? With this off, you actually have to use Eagle vision. It makes climbing up viewpoints feel more needed. And forces you to learn the map, in turn making the game feel more real. And it makes all those annoying audio clips useful/less annoying.

When I tried this and saw all the little communications the game design does using video and audio to let you know subtly what the HUD beats you over the head with... I got the sense that this is truly the way it was intended to be played. And all the rest was holding our hand along so we wouldn't complain that it was too hard.

Try it! Turn that bloody HUD off people. I guarantee the cities never felt so real.

Thanks Patrice! You're my new hero :P

What YOUR favourite way to play?

gaz2785
11-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Hi, you have some excellent poins which I had not thought of!

However I would find it too frustrating/tedious. It's gonna take me until this time next year to find all the flags, so I need every bit of help I can get!

Transparanoia
11-22-2007, 06:00 AM
I play without the HUD. Turned it off right after my first assassination. It's harder, but much more fun. I've memorised a lot of Acre, but I struggle on the other 2 cities and the kingdom. Every now and then I'll check the large map just to get my bearings. The only thing that I would like to make the game more no HUD friendly would be to be able to use Eagle Vision when running through the streets. I hate stopping and starting. Even if it would let us do it whilst walking it would add another dimension IMO.

spazzoo1025
11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
i currently play without Controls, Weapons, or Sync bar on the screen. I think no GPS wold be way too hard for me.

GuStick93
11-22-2007, 07:34 AM
i keep the gps and synch bar,id never be able to do anything without those

gaz2785
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm just waiting for someone to say they play it with their TV turned off.

AirRon_2K7
11-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I play with my controller switched off, you wouldn't BELIEVE how hard it is... but seriously, on my second run through, I'm doing it without anything, but last time I just used my GPS... every thing else isn't interesting. X square triangle O? useless! Weapons... I only need to worry about knives when I see the ones on my shoulder go down. Sync bar? when I'm nearly dead, the screen goes blue... so it's all good.

unnamedninja
11-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
i currently play without Controls, Weapons, or Sync bar on the screen. I think no GPS wold be way too hard for me.

No GPS is pretty difficult, but you learn your way around really well if you dont use it, you start using landmarks and remembering landmarks that are close to the bureau and stuff.

I played hudless, and did investigations without climbing viewpoints to find out where they are, after i got 3 i'd do the assassination. On my second play it's the same deal except i'm doing all 6 investigations.

Anyone playing without GPS, a nice trick to avoid getting lost is to remember that your shadow will always point in the same direction (northwest) because the sun doesn't move in AC, so you can use it as a quick compass.

dQuarters
11-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by unnamedninja:
No GPS is pretty difficult, but you learn your way around really well if you dont use it, you start using landmarks and remembering landmarks that are close to the bureau and stuff.

I played hudless, and did investigations without climbing viewpoints to find out where they are, after i got 3 i'd do the assassination. On my second play it's the same deal except i'm doing all 6 investigations.

Anyone playing without GPS, a nice trick to avoid getting lost is to remember that your shadow will always point in the same direction (northwest) because the sun doesn't move in AC, so you can use it as a quick compass.

That IS a good trick. Thanks! I can't stand even opening the large map anymore, cause you can't turn off the icons, and it's not always possible to ignore where the things are that you want to find for yourself.
The hardest gameplay with the junk off are the Informant missions. Knowing where 5 targets are or worse, 20 flags, is pretty hard using just your eyes. But rewarding when you do it.

Zain0
11-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I play with my TV turned off.

killa169
11-24-2007, 02:38 AM
i did exactly do the same thing but the only flaw is you cant know when you broke the line of sight