PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Finns.

Waldo.Pepper
11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Have any of you been to the Finnish Anti-Aircraft Museum?

Here is a little blurb about it.

Anti-aircraft Museum, close by Tuusula Gar‚¬*rison is inter‚¬*na‚¬*tio‚¬*nally recognized for its unique collections including sound direction finders, radar equipment, weapons, ammunition as well as photos, outlining the history and deve‚¬*lop‚¬*ment of anti-aircraft defence. The museum collections also de‚¬*monst‚¬*rate how the Finnish anti-aircraft defence saved our cities and towns from total destruction during the aerial bombings of Second World War.

fighter_966
11-23-2005, 11:47 PM
I live in in Finland but never been there though Tuusula is not so far from my home Any reguests....... ?

Waldo.Pepper
11-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Any reguests?

Gosh yes! Since you asked. But really don't go to any trouble if it is too much to ask.

I came across the followin image in a book.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/radar/FinnishRadar.jpg

It describes RADAR defences as used by Finland in 1944.

Lately I am becoming rather obsessed with RADAR of the period. So I would be grateful if you could find out anything about RADAR as used by Finland. I expect that we will find out that the kits are German. And I also expect that they were crewed by Luftwaffe staff as well. But I would like to learn types, locations, dates anything. Also in the blurb I quoted it mentions sound locating devices that were used in Finland. I want to know about those as well.

The website for the Museum seems to be toast. But if you could get me in contact with someone at the museum, for example their email address, that would be very nice of you, and more than enough.

Thanks!

Juutas-FIN-
11-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Finnish Anti-Aircraft Museum?

http://www.ilmatorjuntaupseeriyhdistys.fi/itmuseo/index-en.html

There are contact information and it‚¬īs in english.

SheerLuckHolmes
11-24-2005, 01:02 PM
orig Waldo.Pepper

Lately I am becoming rather obsessed with RADAR of the period. So I would be grateful if you could find out anything about RADAR as used by Finland. I expect that we will find out that the kits are German. And I also expect that they were crewed by Luftwaffe staff as well. But I would like to learn types...

Equipments were german, but crew was finn. Some officiers and technicians were teached in germany, and these men later teached crews in finland. Don't remember correct types of radars, but at least one type was called IRJA, and that was used to direct fire of 8,8 cm guns.

Sama suomeksi: Suomalaisia koulutettiin saksassa, ja n√¬§m√¬§ koulutetut koulutti lis√¬§√¬§ k√¬§ytt√¬§ji√¬§ suomessa. Tutkien tyyppej√¬§ en tied√¬§, mutta er√¬§st√¬§ tyyppi√¬§ kutsuttiin IRJAksi. Sit√¬§ k√¬§ytettiin kasikasien tulen ohjaamiseen.

SheerLuck Holmes

Waldo.Pepper
11-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Juutas-FIN-:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finnish Anti-Aircraft Museum?

http://www.ilmatorjuntaupseeriyhdistys.fi/itmuseo/index-en.html

There are contact information and it‚¬īs in english. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks all.
No email address sadly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
It was down yesteday - Really it was I tell ya!

fighter_966
11-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any reguests?

Gosh yes! Since you asked. But really don't go to any trouble if it is too much to ask.

I came across the followin image in a book.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/radar/FinnishRadar.jpg

It describes RADAR defences as used by Finland in 1944.

Lately I am becoming rather obsessed with RADAR of the period. So I would be grateful if you could find out anything about RADAR as used by Finland. I expect that we will find out that the kits are German. And I also expect that they were crewed by Luftwaffe staff as well. But I would like to learn types, locations, dates anything. Also in the blurb I quoted it mentions sound locating devices that were used in Finland. I want to know about those as well.

The website for the Museum seems to be toast. But if you could get me in contact with someone at the museum, for example their email address, that would be very nice of you, and more than enough.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I see what I can do I maybe can visit there next weekend. But what I have read about the
history of Defending Helsinki equipment they used was German though personnel was finnish
they were trained in german.. we also get other
electrics like radiotraffic listening devices
from german ..As i said I ll pay a visit there next weekend or at least get that e mail addres
for ya

fighter_966
11-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Have any of you been to the Finnish Anti-Aircraft Museum?

Here is a little blurb about it.

Anti-aircraft Museum, close by Tuusula Gar‚¬*rison is inter‚¬*na‚¬*tio‚¬*nally recognized for its unique collections including sound direction finders, radar equipment, weapons, ammunition as well as photos, outlining the history and deve‚¬*lop‚¬*ment of anti-aircraft defence. The museum collections also de‚¬*monst‚¬*rate how the Finnish anti-aircraft defence saved our cities and towns from total destruction during the aerial bombings of Second World War.
I phoned to museum and they said its closed
(didnt mention when its open...)but in Aviation museum in Keski-Suomi there is german radar to be seen and also there is a book called Tutka suomessa (radar in finland) I couldnt get any kind of e-mail address cause that doesnt exist..
so Im sorry about that btw I spoke with the boss of museum at Tuusula and he said that their archives
are spread out.. so getting those organized takes time . He said at least few years and they dont have radar now shown public

SheerLuckHolmes
11-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Type of radars we got from germany:
WURZBURG DORA (or wurzburg D), we got 6 of them, they could detect planes even from 30 km distance.

You can find picture of that radar here:

http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/uudsle/alukander04.pdf

Waldo.Pepper
11-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks fighter_966 and SheerluckHolmes. I appreciate all you have done.

I am surprised to learn that they were crewed by Finnish staff. I figured that the Germans would be more maniacal about secrecy and security than that. They were extremely stingy with Radar info, expecially with Japan, so I figured that this attitude would carry over to all.

Thanks once again.