View Full Version : POLL - MilkCow / Supply Subs

one.zero
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM

Gerd_Schopfel
10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Listen man. There is no purpose to command a Milk Cow because:
1. They do not fire torps
2. They are huge sluggish floating cows
3. No deck gun (oh those things are so fun to fire with).
4. waste of time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
>But the few mammals send to sea, proved themselves in the Battle of the Atlantic.

Look forward to commading an attack submarine my boy!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif They are so much more excitting, that you will never want to command a Milk Cow again.

Good luck, and I hope to hear from you again!

one.zero
10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I see your point, but I belive that most people glaze over this issue at face value. The sub is absoloutely a dog without weapons. You so correct. However, this is the point exactly. When we actually get the game and begin to play on line, the resupply will greatly enhance the game play and realisum. The most important benifit will be the honing of basic skills such as optimum crew and boat managment as well as the planning and execution of strategic and tactical manuvers, navagation etc in support of the mission.

Hard core...important logistics and command. Sneaking in the enemies camp with little or no weapons with hopes of never being seen. Its more challenging than barging in with a weapon. History shows this with certain special ops, submarine supply and a great deal more recon related activites.

Thanks for reading....Play on...

Looking forward to lobbing some torps!

Jose.MaC
10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Remember you're asking to command a kind of sub that was erased of the sea as soon as allied were able to decipher Enigma!

You simply ask for what we know is a sacrifice mission! Cannot avoid reporting your position -is useless a Milche Cow in a unknown point of the sea-, cannot move too far away from it, don't have enought speed to actually run away from enemies... even a sneak attack from a british sub will prove deadly!

By far, the most stupid, insane demand I've ever read in this forum!

I like absolutely your idea and your stile, one.zero!

Kejotikk
10-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Not a stupid demand, but a bit far fetched. Milk cows will be in the game, but they will be controlled by AI only.

Although it's probably not completely out of the question that some dedicated modder and mission maker will make it possible to command a milk cow after the game is out.

jeroen-79
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
The Milchkuh mission doesn't seem very appealing to me.
If everything goes well you basically spend your time loitering in an area away from the action and occasionally meet up with another boat to transfer supplies.
The times things will get exciting is when the enemy finds you, in which case you will have to spend some time avoiding planes and destroyers.
Nothing the regular U-boot missions don't offer and the only tonnage you'll see is the tonnage sunk by others.

Prof.Wizard
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
They should be automated. No need for command.

one.zero
10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
I hope for command but at a minimum, there has to be an improvment over SHII resupply scenario. It's terrible....

If we don't have command, the resupply effort should have a realistic time frame for locating and load transfers...including surprise attacks.

Thanks for all the comments on the subject. Regaurdless of our opinions and wishes, the game is still awesome..!

U-553
10-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Let's have a suply uboat, for the training missions. Then you can spend a lot of time saling around, whitout getting attackt.
Bye the way Suply Subs wasn't helpless...

bertgang
10-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Automated Milkcows with higly realistic screen, for me.

Commanding one of these boats could be interesting sometimes, but I'm more interested in combats than in tasks of logistic support; dangerous and heroic, but not very fun.

lonewulf44
10-07-2004, 10:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
I hope for command but at a minimum, there has to be an improvment over SHII resupply scenario. It's terrible....
! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I guess it would be a nice little feature if we got to command one, but I'm don't think its a huge deal one way or the other.

Long Live Prussia!

one.zero
10-12-2004, 01:57 PM
HURRY UP and get your vote in...so we can close this pole.

king_cam
10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
i never played SH2 (altho i would like to order it soon of the internet) so i dont know how bad the loading scenarios were, however i do think that they should be automated because the idea of commanding a milk cow is stupid.

I think that certain members of this forum are getting caught up with the realism factor in the game... the game should be about something can you guess what it is... thats it fun (the very reason games are made in first place)!!! don't get me wrong im all for realism but commanding milk cows is not fun and is just wasting time for the dev team.

X_ArchAngel
10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I personally wouldn't mind a supply mission in a Milk Cow. Trying to evade sea and air patrols and detection at all costs, as the Milk Cows were priority targets to the Allies. And then seeing if you can stay surfaced long enough without interception as you top off another subs supplies, torpedos and fuel.

I think it would be a real challenge regardless of the lack of "action".

Philipscdrw
10-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Operating in the supply role could be worthwhile in multiplayer - I would love to evade attack in a C-47 online in Il-2 - but the amount of effort to model a new submarine interior would be too much. If Ubi would consider 3rd party work like Il-2 - then maybe - but the dev's time is too precious for this.

hauitsme
10-12-2004, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by one.zero:
HURRY UP and get your vote in...so we can close this pole. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 'polls' never close! Go back about a dozen pages to find a poll. You still can vote if you haven't already.

BTW, vote in the MOST viewed, MOST replied to thread in this Forum.

BONFLECK
10-13-2004, 12:04 AM
It might be a cool feature in SH4, but for now and for the love of GOD, please let them finish the dynamic campaign and publish this thing before we all start to go luny! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

one.zero
10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by king_cam:
i never played SH2 (altho i would like to order it soon of the internet) so i dont know how bad the loading scenarios were

Thanks to everyone for considering this facet of the game. However, if you have not actually played the game or observed the re-supply scene in SHII, you might withold comment until you can aquaint yourself.

I don't see where the slight additions of supply subs would be much of a burden for developement. Other comments in the past also support this statment. It's a sub without torps and it's a little larger in size.

Bottom line, the development team will bring us a good product. I hope for the inclusion of good resupply scenes and perhaps the command of such activity. At the very least, we may be left with the option of making a mod related to re-supply.

Of all the things I have read to date, the smoke and sinking time issues appeaer most imporatant and require both attention and improvement.

Carry on.....

Jose.MaC
10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Don't buy SH II, is just a beta! You'll need a ton of patches to make it work decently, so there is no point to get it unless you plan to play via internet with Messenwazer Project (aka www.subsim.com (http://www.subsim.com))
SH I is far better, even being older. Or Command: Ace of Deep, if you're not too interested in eye candy but in nice gaming.

one.zero
10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Does SHII have any other supply sub rendevous than the python scenario? I can't seem to get the supply sub to ever help me in any mission. The only one that I am aware of is very unrealisitic.

hauitsme
10-15-2004, 07:41 PM
It was NEVER implemented into the game. No matter how much you called, it would never reply/show up. Something they had meant to include, but never did. I still wish I had my C64 and Silent Service 1. The best sub sim I've ever played. All you had to do was make it back to port, either Honolulu or Brisbane, and you were OK to go out again to finish your patrol.

one.zero
10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
thanks for the response. I have attempted to find the answer as to wheter the resupply actually works, but could never get a response. After having ran out of fuel on a few occasions, it became very disapointing.

hopefully the new version has better usage of the supply feature.

hauitsme
10-17-2004, 04:04 PM
That is but 1 of the things to be 'fixed'. About time too. Nothing worse than to go out and run low on something w/o being able to finish what you started! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

one.zero
10-18-2004, 11:58 AM
A few examples of what re supply should resemble; a large number of crew topside on both boats and fuel lines connected.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-604Binn15.jpg http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-604Binn14.jpg