PDA

View Full Version : Bio of Japanese Dive Bomb Ace Egusa Just Released

leitmotiv
10-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Just got from Amazon:

FIST FROM THE SKY by Peter C. Smith

Enforcer572005
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Let us know some of the highlights....first Ive heard of him.

Waldo.Pepper
10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
First I heard of it. Will read it. Thanks.

leitmotiv
10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Egusa led the 2nd wave dive bombers at Pearl which went after NEVADA as she tried to escape and damaged her so badly she had to be grounded. Led the successful attack on HERMES and the attacks on DORSETSHIRE and CORNWALL---all sunk off Ceylon. Met his fate at the end of the war while leading a torpedo attack on American carriers in a P1Y Ginga torpedo bomber. Smith a friend of the family, had special access. A very very very rare look into the Japanese side of the carrier war in the Pacific.

Feathered_IV
10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Sounds very interesting indeed. I was thinking of getting Gods Samurai, but most of it is the authors post-war evangelical reminiscences. Good stuff from the other side is so hard to come by.

Haigotron
10-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Good stuff from the other side is so hard to come by.

Tell me about it! Ive been trying to find a book that has enough historical background and details that I can make a IJN or IJA campaign....

leitmotiv
10-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Those in the know do not recommend GOD'S SAMURAI because Fuchida, apparently, edited his career to fit his circumstances. Local library had it, and I borrowed it. In the entire volume I was not able to find anything interesting or new about Japanese ops. See the epic-sized and superb SHATTERED SWORD about Midway---Fuchida was the purveyor of the long-lived myth about the Japanese being caught by the Dauntli just as they were about to launch their strike. Not so, the aircraft were still in the hangars! SHATTERED SWORD has more about the WWII Japanese Naval air arm than any other work in English. Authors did extensive research in Japanese records. Osprey is supposed to release a volume on the D3A "Val" units by the Japanese author of their excellent G4M "Betty" monograph.