PDA

View Full Version : Do you think AC3 will be Desmond's game?

SweetsMachineGun
12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I am just wondering whether you guys think AC3 will focus mainly on Desmond or introduce a third assassin?

Personally, I think AC3 should be Desmond's game, because I don't think it's possible to wrap up the game and continue to have the kind of story depth that was projected throughout Ezio's trilogy if they introduce a third historic plotline. I think AC3 should take place in the modern times, in NYC.

albertwesker22
12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I think Desmond will get a lot more screen time in AC 3, but a full modern day AC, really? I would really like to know how you think that would work out. I never thought I would say this, but I would take Feudal Japan over modern day, any day.

ProdiGurl
12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by sharkbot:
I am just wondering whether you guys think AC3 will focus mainly on Desmond, or introduce a third assassin?

Personally, I think AC3 should be Desmond's game, because I don't think it's possible to wrap up the game and continue to have the kind of story depth that was projected throughout Ezio's trilogy if they introduce a third historic plotline. I think AC3 should take place in the modern times, in NYC.

Well, I think it's going to at least have alot more Desmond this time -
I don't want it to be all Desmond.
I don't know what I'll do if that's what it is.

But I really think they'll introduce the next Protagonist and do quite a bit with them.
I just have no clue what direction Ubi's going on this, so it's pointless for me to speculate.

LightRey
12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
No. It'll focus more on him, but it won't focus completely on Desmond.

ProdiGurl
12-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:

I'm just wondering how you'd create a long game around just him? What all could he be doing that would keep our interest?
As far as I see, Desmond isn't the main hero for alot of AC fans. Not sure he could carry a whole game.

albertwesker22
12-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm just wondering how you'd create a long game around just him? What all could he be doing that would keep our interest?

If we can get a Desmond skin in GTA 5, we will have an idea http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SweetsMachineGun
12-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

As far as I see, Desmond isn't the main hero for alot of AC fans. Not sure he could carry a whole game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno, I think Desmond could carry the game. He's matured a lot over the past four games. You just got to give him a chance to show his stuff. Taking on abstergo isn't exactly a small feat. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

With the deadline for AC3 being the end of 2012, I'm just not sure if focusing on another ancestor will give us enough closure to the overarching story. But maybe..! I wouldn't necessarily mind a third ancestor if it was well done, but I think a focus on a modern setting wouldn't take anything away from the game.

kriegerdesgottes
12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
No, they have already made it abundantly clear that the next game will be "another character" or as Darby put it once "a new ancestor". Like others have already said though, the game will probably focus more on Desmond but I seriously doubt that any AC game will ever be set 100% in modern times.

VexedRelic
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
As much as Brotherhood and Revelations were standalone expansions I still think that they were playing around with features that they would implement and improve for Assassins Creed 3.

For instance the Altair side missions in revelations is probably something they will implement towards Desmond, so once you complete a part to learn something it will switch over to Desmond but you would still primarily play as the new ancestor.

Supposedly, according to the wiki on AC3, Desmond's story is about learning about old templar temples, possibly having artifacts that he needs to collect. So basically he learns about the location of these temples through one or several ancestors and then go there to collect whatever is located there and this would be the Desmond play part, which probably will include combat.

E-Zekiel
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
After everything that's happened, I have a hard time seeing them justify going into the animus for another ancestor.

Il_Divo
12-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

As far as I see, Desmond isn't the main hero for alot of AC fans. Not sure he could carry a whole game.

From a narrative perspective, this isn't as hard as you might think. Making Desmond carry a whole game would be no different than how Altair or Ezio were able to carry the previous installments; design a game premise, and carry everything from there. If anything, it's even easier here since everything in the past four games has been building up in anticipation to AC3, which needs to settle both the Assassin-Templar conflicts and the Solar Flare (no small feat).

The actual problems Ubisoft has to deal with are twofold:

1)The idea of "modern assassins" occupying the real world. AC has been built primarily on melee mechanics and social stealth, with (minor) elements of ranged weapons, and very limited access to gunplay. Emphasis on modern assassin gameplay would need to evoke the feeling of the four previous games while still being adaptable to a modern period. Ex: Swords worked fairly well in the last four games, but probably wouldn't be "believable" in 2012 as a primary weapon.

2) People have come to love Assassin's Creed for the historical aspects, often in spite of the modern framed narrative and science fiction story. I don't think that anyone could effectively argue that Desmond's story couldn't occupy an entire game, especially when you consider that Altiar/Ezio have been wrapped up at this point, leaving him as the sole focus. The more important question is: would anyone want Desmond's tale to occupy a whole game if it meant no new setting?

That's my take on it, anyway.

VexedRelic
12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
After everything that's happened, I have a hard time seeing them justify going into the animus for another ancestor.

Thats really what the bleeding effect is for. I have not play Revelation yet but I believe in AC3 Desmond will be able to go in and experience his ancestors without an animus.

dxsxhxcx
12-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by VexedRelic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

Thats really what the bleeding effect is for. I have not play Revelation yet but I believe in AC3 Desmond will be able to go in and experience his ancestors without an animus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even if he will be able to experience the life of his ancestors without using the Animus (via Bleeding Effect), he would still need a reason to do this...