PDA

View Full Version : Fighting me262s....

SeaFireLIV
06-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Flying at in `44 over Berlin in LA7s. Things have been sweet since mid `42, but now we meet the me262 and guess what? It`s chase, chase, chase!

Out of 9 LA7s versus six jets we shot down only one. The Jets shot down all our bombers we were escourting (and earlier decimated 4 P38s attacking the AF).

Biggest problem is that, with 4.01m, the Jets really use their speed advantage and simply extend if you even look like getting near. The only way we got one was cos he turned giving the AI a split-second shot. But that was it.

I read a very similar R\L account where two ME262s came across 4 P51s protecting a lone B17. the Me262s literally ignored the frantic P51s, attacked the B17 and shot it down, to the P51`s pilot`s frustration. Then flew away.

Not whining, just saying a immersive experince that gives me an idea just how those Allied pilots must have felt.

This is WHY I fly IL2/FB/PF.

Worf101
06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I had no problem with 262's. You don't chase them, you'll never ever catch up. You have to catch them in a turn and any time you're within 500m let em have it. They're fast but FRAGILE. Once you get one of those engines smoking, the resultant loss in airspeed makes em easier to handle. Get em in a turn battle or head on if you want to kill em.

Position yourself with the bombers so they're always coming though your formation to get at em.

Da Worfster

bazzaah2
06-20-2005, 02:01 PM
or just find out where theire base is and follow them there and shoot em down as they land, just to make it more immersive still.

SeaFireLIV
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Yep. good suggestions. I think I`ll try getting them on landing approach next time. Like they did in reality...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-20-2005, 02:11 PM
As a side point, it reminds me of when I was chasing the me262 in the Spitfire in CFS3...

The me262s were easy to catch up and shoot down. I`d grit my teeth in anger at how artificially **** the AI was.

At least in FB they use their abilities...

JamesBlonde888
06-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Worf101:
Get em in a turn battle or head on if you want to kill em.

Position yourself with the bombers so they're always coming though your formation to get at em.

Head on with those Mk-108's??? No thankyou siree Bob! Agains the 262 you can only hope for a good alt advantage nd bounce them during their attack on the bobmers. Of course, if the pilot is a noob, they might try and turn and at that point they are easy to bring down.

darkhorizon11
06-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Thats why they were the way of the future.

VW-IceFire
06-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Most jets were attacked by Allied fighters during takeoff and landing. Although that became hazardous as the jets were then well protected by fighters and tons and tons of flak in response.

In an La7 you have a fighting chance as you are fast and accelerate well. Basically, you have to catch them turning or way below you and try and narrow the gap for a shot without loosing a wing in the high speed dive. The P-47 and P-51 are better jet hunters than the La-7 is simply because of dive limit restrictions.

Now if we had a Tempest....

FliegerAas
06-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by JamesBlonde888:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
Get em in a turn battle or head on if you want to kill em.

Head on with those Mk-108's??? No thankyou siree Bob! Agains the 262 you can only hope for a good alt advantage nd bounce them during their attack on the bobmers. Of course, if the pilot is a noob, they might try and turn and at that point they are easy to bring down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Head on is a good option. You can hope that your debris damage him... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

han freak solo
06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
I can't remember the source or my accuracy.....

I read somewhere about a P-51 pilot/squadron leader writing about how to make a P-51 equal to a Me-262 at altitude. Basically, to protect one bomber he estimated that it would take 8 P-51s in a ring around the bomber. That way a particular P-51 in the formation around the bomber could attempt to turn into the attacking Me-262.

This theory wasn't tested by this pilot. It was just his reaction to the frustration of trying to fight the Me-262 at altitude.

dadada1
06-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Most jets were attacked by Allied fighters during takeoff and landing. Although that became hazardous as the jets were then well protected by fighters and tons and tons of flak in response.

In an La7 you have a fighting chance as you are fast and accelerate well. Basically, you have to catch them turning or way below you and try and narrow the gap for a shot without loosing a wing in the high speed dive. The P-47 and P-51 are better jet hunters than the La-7 is simply because of dive limit restrictions.

Now if we had a Tempest....

Or Spitfire 14 indeed.