PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about TDC (and other stuff)

the_rydster
08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Bought this game when it came out but just got it working (due to problems with my PC).

Seems a bit of a cop out to let the computer (or WO) work out everything so I was trying to use the TDC and do it all manually. Well I wasted 4 torps against 2 merchants at ~500 which I was a little dissapointed with to say the least....had to resort to my 88 to do the job.

OK I understand the basics of how to use the TDC. It needs accurate range (based on mast height), AOB, and speed to compute the gyro solution. Some questions though:

Is the AOB as I see it through the periscope or UZO, or do I have to judge it relative to me bow (ie to my 0 degrees)?

How long do I need to get an accurate speed? If I leave it too long it screws up my initial range?? (assuming the target at least maintains its speed and course)

Does the TDC take into account the speed and course of my sub? Or do I need to kill the engines before I do anything at all?

Is the gyro solution being constantly recalculated up untill you fire a torp? If not then it is always an 'old' solution....maybe that is why I missed at such a close range....should have fired more quickly after I made the range, AOB and speed inputs.

Couple of other things? My guy on the hydrophones is incapable of hearing it would seem, I have to do it manually.

Is there anyway to refuel when at sea? Is there any advantage to using the radio to report contacts??

the_rydster
08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Bought this game when it came out but just got it working (due to problems with my PC).

Seems a bit of a cop out to let the computer (or WO) work out everything so I was trying to use the TDC and do it all manually. Well I wasted 4 torps against 2 merchants at ~500 which I was a little dissapointed with to say the least....had to resort to my 88 to do the job.

OK I understand the basics of how to use the TDC. It needs accurate range (based on mast height), AOB, and speed to compute the gyro solution. Some questions though:

Is the AOB as I see it through the periscope or UZO, or do I have to judge it relative to me bow (ie to my 0 degrees)?

How long do I need to get an accurate speed? If I leave it too long it screws up my initial range?? (assuming the target at least maintains its speed and course)

Does the TDC take into account the speed and course of my sub? Or do I need to kill the engines before I do anything at all?

Is the gyro solution being constantly recalculated up untill you fire a torp? If not then it is always an 'old' solution....maybe that is why I missed at such a close range....should have fired more quickly after I made the range, AOB and speed inputs.

Couple of other things? My guy on the hydrophones is incapable of hearing it would seem, I have to do it manually.

Is there anyway to refuel when at sea? Is there any advantage to using the radio to report contacts??

JU88
08-23-2005, 01:45 PM

Its relative to your AOB

time it for about 60 seconds

Kill the engines, better to be at 'all stop' when data collecting

You answered your own question there....

Couple of other things? My guy on the hydrophones is incapable of hearing it would seem, I have to do it manually.Is there anyway to refuel when at sea? Is there any advantage to using the radio to report contacts??

Your hydrophone guy should be hearing things just fine, maybe hes in-experienced, best to promote him when you can and give him the sonarman qualification, The AI will report sound contact at about 20km, if you listen manually you can sometimes hear up to 23km or so.
Note: you must be submerged to hear anything on the hydrophones.

There is no way to refuel at sea unless you download the milkcow mod.

If you report contacts, and are in range of a Luftwaffe airbase, you might get some bombers sent to engage the ship your reported, Its a rare thing though....

check the communtiy manual for all the info you need.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif