PDA

View Full Version : Didn't realize how Great this sim is until...

Heavy_Metal1982
01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I played Heros of the Pacific.

The other day I went to EB to browse through some games. I always see if they have any sims that might be hidden treasures. I came across Heros of the Pacific (for PC)and saw it was for $19. I was thinking about getting it since I like a different perspective on other sim games. But I remember people saying it was arcade game. I thought would try it out to see how it was.

I managed to get a copy from a buddy of mine and installed it that same day. I started a career, and here's where things went horribly wrong. I knew the game was going to be arcadey but not THIS ARCADEY! No tracer fire, I had no idea where the heck my bullets were going, Stalls.... Oh lord, this was by far the most laughable since when you stall your P-40 starts buzzing like a F-15 with a missle lock warning and your plane falls like a rock... hits the ground and bounces back up in the air. I couldn't stand it anymore and uninstalled the game within 10 min of actually playing it.

I'm happy I played it because it just makes me take more appreciation to this sim. I know I'm really into games that pay attention to detail, such as IL-2. I know I'm going to be playing this sim for a very long time, and I'm loving every minute... even when I get my butt kicked on online servers. But I don't think any other game has rewarded me the same as IL-2/Pacific Fighters. Playing HOTP just made me realize just how amazing IL-2 REALLY is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Heavy_Metal1982
01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I played Heros of the Pacific.

The other day I went to EB to browse through some games. I always see if they have any sims that might be hidden treasures. I came across Heros of the Pacific (for PC)and saw it was for $19. I was thinking about getting it since I like a different perspective on other sim games. But I remember people saying it was arcade game. I thought would try it out to see how it was.

I managed to get a copy from a buddy of mine and installed it that same day. I started a career, and here's where things went horribly wrong. I knew the game was going to be arcadey but not THIS ARCADEY! No tracer fire, I had no idea where the heck my bullets were going, Stalls.... Oh lord, this was by far the most laughable since when you stall your P-40 starts buzzing like a F-15 with a missle lock warning and your plane falls like a rock... hits the ground and bounces back up in the air. I couldn't stand it anymore and uninstalled the game within 10 min of actually playing it.

I'm happy I played it because it just makes me take more appreciation to this sim. I know I'm really into games that pay attention to detail, such as IL-2. I know I'm going to be playing this sim for a very long time, and I'm loving every minute... even when I get my butt kicked on online servers. But I don't think any other game has rewarded me the same as IL-2/Pacific Fighters. Playing HOTP just made me realize just how amazing IL-2 REALLY is http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Redwulf 32 - Nis
01-13-2006, 07:39 PM
I have to agree with you - this sim is simply the best. I fly gliders from from mid March until November. Sim flying has always been a winter thing for me. Not the case with this one. This is the only sim (and I've tried them all since 1980) that I'll fly all year. It's simply so good that I just keep on going http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keep in mind that this is just the beginning - If this is 'state of the art', I'm looking forward to what the future will bring - it's gonna be awesome

zoinks_
01-13-2006, 08:16 PM
even a nOOb like me can appreciate it as i fly to the next drop zone.

-HH-Quazi
01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I know jets and props are opposites, but you want arcadish junk, try Jetfighter IV. I got it before LockOn was released feeling like I needed a jet fighter fix. Played it for 5 minutes, uninstalled it straight away, and just threw the game in the trash a few days ago. It even put a disdain of jet sims in my head and I never did feel the need, or want, to purchase LockOn.

wayno7777
01-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Just for the heck of it, I've been reinstalling some of the other sims I have. I played Fighter Squadron the other night and it's back off the HD. Falcon 4 is back on and I patched it up to SP4. It will stay on for awhile, it is improved. Don't know about trying Allied Forces yet. I have a bunch of others to put back on, but it'll be a long process due to not stopping playing this one....

Longpo
01-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I had a similar experience only a few days ago. I seen a copy of CFS3 for only a few bob and got kind of tempted by the list of aircraft (Tempest and Mossie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) so I decided to try it out.

I can pretty much say that after playing that I realized just how bloody great FB is.

Low_Flyer_MkII
01-14-2006, 02:24 PM
It's interesting to see how the oldies (and the not so oldies) stand up now isn't it? Still nothing out there to touch FB/PF, is there?

SeaFireLIV
01-14-2006, 02:44 PM
No there isn`t. Even with all the complaints about FMs and .50 cals and russian planes, etec, etc, IL2 rules.

The only other WWII sim that i`d say is reasonable is BOBwov, but even that simply doesn`t match up to IL2 ...

Slammin_
01-14-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread made me smile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Refreshing

nachtjadg
01-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Funny the timing of this thread as I just reinstalled CFS3 the other day. I purchased it when it came out and was so disappointed with it after the first week that I forced myself to go through the learning curve of IL2. After three intense years of IL2/FB/Aces/PF, I got curious to see what CFS3 was like again - WOW - have we been spoiled with FB.
I also just got the chance to install MS FS2004 and tried out a few of those planes and compared to FB - I am no RL pilot but FB just feels right. It would be really good to hear what RL pilots have to say about the FM between FB and MS FS as MS FS sims to be the "stardard" out there as far as popular entertainment flight sims go. To me compared to FB, the FM of MS FS is not realistic at all.

Heavy_Metal1982
01-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I honestly don't think I can accept any other sim that is less than what is being produced in this series. I am dying for a WW1 sim and hopefully Knights of the Sky will be just as good as the IL-2 series of games. I'm glad you guys enjoyed my short story http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And hearing other people having similar experiences to mine is even more rewarding.

neural_dream
01-14-2006, 07:38 PM
MSFS isn't for flying a plane the way we would in FB. It's a civ sim to get your fix if you haven't got your license yet or to save money preparing for it.
These days I play MSFS. I downloaded some addons to enhance the ground and the weather and I've started the big journey. Around the world in a Beech Baron. I started from Heathrow and now I'm in Albania. I don't know yet how I'll cross the Pacific http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. They say it can be done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Some do it in a Cessna 172 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif.

Nukem_Hicks
01-14-2006, 09:03 PM
If you want to see some screwy flight models, go no further than another wonderful Ubi sim, Silent Hunter 3. I've just emerged from 9 months in the Kriegsmarine and I learned to truly fear Allied planes after watching a squadron of B-16s bomb my U-boat, miss, pull a tight loop and pass back over me within a matter of seconds. I'd doubt an F-16 could even pull acrobatic stunts like these big bombers did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

smokincrater
01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
IL-2 is the most realistic flight sim ever.It would great to have interlocking maps but that is very difficult to do.So as a community we should get behind the maddox team.
Lets see not only BOB but Battle of Europe and even Korea.And as many flyable aircraft as possible(I`m very fond of the Lancaster)!

jds1978
01-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Rgr that.

last October i saw MSCFS WW2 Europe Series in the discount bin. "WTF, only 5$'s "....played it for thirty seconds and promptly uninstalled.

I know that sim is old, but it made me appreciate the IL2 series that much more

Horneypig
01-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Does someone know if the creators of IL-2 and PF are going to make a Flight sim like MFS 9 ?
IL-2 and PF are so realistic, MFS 9 is just like HOTP, but with better textures.

I only have read that they are making a new 'helicopter' sim: Whirlwind of Vietnam.

vocatx
01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I must confess to recently installing CFS 3 on my hard drive. Before the stones start to fly let me tell you: I finally found something CFS 3 is good for, other than using the disks for coasters. OVER FLANDERS FIELDS.

OFF is a nicely done WWI sim. It isn't about to replace FB in my book, but it is a nice change of pace. I'm not too crazy about the user interface, and I have never been able to figure out how to connect to an on-line server, but it is worth a try. Be sure and read everything very very carefully before you start installing. Also, make sure you turn the graphics sliders way down to start with. Maxed out you can crash a top end system with ease.

Hoatee
01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
CFS3 lasted very briefly in my life.

WWIIonline (from a flight sim pov) I think is slightly better in terms of 'feel'. I don't know to what extent that is influenced by the way the sounds are modelled. Also, the physical world is vertically full scale (or so I heard). Anyway, I just reckon it flies better.

But in everything else this IL2 series is by far superior.

And SHIII is primarily a subsim - the air action is not that bad, really (go load the Malta single mission and press F12 immediately - that's an order). Of course we all want it taken a step further and have flyable Sunderlands hunting down U Boats on the internet (now that's surfing taken to a new level).

Skycat_2
01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jds1978:
last October i saw MSCFS WW2 Europe Series in the discount bin. "WTF, only 5$'s "....played it for thirty seconds and promptly uninstalled.

I know that sim is old, but it made me appreciate the IL2 series that much more </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an old sim ... that's the 1998 version of CFS. I got that after getting hooked by "Jane's WWII Fighters," and it made me appreciate WW2F that much more. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif By that time I had also installed "IL-2 Sturmovik" on my computer so CFS really didn't stand much of a chance. I ended up just porting the CFS planes into FS98 and playing it as a civilian flyer for a few months. Still, CFS had some good mission ideas, like locating and strafing the German staff car under the Eiffel Tower or attacking an SS headquarters situated on an island.

I kind of pick away at CFS-3 now and then; I fly Thunderbolts and Typhoons in the dynamic campaign and I attack ground targets to my heart's content. In some ways CFS-3 improved what I enjoyed most in EAW and WWII Fighters; I just wish the overall quality of the product would have been higher. FirePower and Winding Man's scenery have helped a lot but some of CFS-3's default cockpits are hard to accept -- several are modeled very amateurishly. Still, it might be the best WWII air combat sim for train strafing (if nothing else).

I just received "Battle Over Europe" in the mail a few days ago and I'm getting ready to install it now. I'm hoping that BOE and its updates will finally give me the gaming experience that I enjoyed in WWIIF but felt was lacking in CFS-3.

Bearcat99
01-17-2006, 06:19 AM
I am going to reinstall CFS3 for OFDF and that Korea add on... I heard from some that it was pretty nice....

jds1978
01-17-2006, 06:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Skycat_2
Posted Mon January 16 2006 17:03
quote:
Originally posted by jds1978:

I know that sim is old, but it made me appreciate the IL2 series that much more

That is an old sim ... that's the 1998 version of CFS. I got that after getting hooked by "Jane's WWII Fighters," and it made me appreciate WW2F that much more. By that time I had also installed "IL-2 Sturmovik" on my computer so CFS really didn't stand much of a chance. I ended up just porting the CFS planes into FS98 and playing it as a civilian flyer for a few months. Still, CFS had some good mission ideas, like locating and strafing the German staff car under the Eiffel Tower or attacking an SS headquarters situated on an island.

I kind of pick away at CFS-3 now and then; I fly Thunderbolts and Typhoons in the dynamic campaign and I attack ground targets to my heart's content. In some ways CFS-3 improved what I enjoyed most in EAW and WWII Fighters; I just wish the overall quality of the product would have been higher. FirePower and Winding Man's scenery have helped a lot but some of CFS-3's default cockpits are hard to accept -- several are modeled very amateurishly. Still, it might be the best WWII air combat sim for train strafing (if nothing else).

I just received "Battle Over Europe" in the mail a few days ago and I'm getting ready to install it now. I'm hoping that BOE and its updates will finally give me the gaming experience that I enjoyed in WWIIF but felt was lacking in CFS-3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

without a doubt....the 1998 CFS must have been hot sh*t for it's day....i hope i didn't give the impression that i was just ****ging MSCFS, which is (of course) a rite of passage for IL2 peeps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

i was (poorly) trying to relate my surprise at how far we've come

BC: Korea is pretty much the only jet sim i could imagine owning. i'm not that pumped up to start shooting AMRAAMS at targets 30 miles away. the idea of the fighter pilot is becoming a thing of the past. I wouldn't be surprised if our latest series of fighters (F22, JSF) will be the last "manned" fighters the United States fields

anyways, no need for me to high jack this thread and turn it into a manned v unmanned argument http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stubby
01-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Though I've complained about the sound quality of IL2 PF and the lack of immersive content that shipped out of the box, Il2 is the king of all kings. Stability and eye candy is unmatched in my opinion. DCG has extended the life of this product beyond belief. There's only one other game that's been on my HD as long as Il2 - Diablo! Anyway, playing other air plane games does give one a profound appreciation for how solid Il2 really is.

jds1978
01-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Stubby: It's amazing that there are this many people still pumped for a sim that was designed and released, what?, 5-6 years ago?!?

i can't think of any other game or sim that has had this type of lifespan (besides The Sims...which, to me, is about as interesting as watching paint dry)

jamesdietz
01-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Really is quite wonderful...and can't wait for next patch due ...uh...last September...oh well I still have plenty to do here.Must say ( I know I'm a minority here) I enjoy BoBWoV almosyt as much despite its teething pains.The interactive cockpit is great ,ditto TrackIR Pro Vector,& engine sounds & RT chatter are actually superior.FM is different to be sure& AI really leaves me scratching my head sometimes.Shockwave is doing its best in player support too with patches that have helped what first appeared to be a didaster coming out of the box....BUT when Oleg's BoB comes along all bets are off!

Hoatee
01-17-2006, 01:46 PM
'WWIIonline (from a flight sim pov) I think is slightly better in terms of 'feel'. I don't know to what extent that is influenced by the way the sounds are modelled. Also, the physical world is vertically full scale (or so I heard). Anyway, I just reckon it flies better.'

That forum over at GMX is a joke. Two threads deleted because the Playnet TOS are not considered part of gameplay. Refer thread entitled 'What would you like to see ingame'.

Gentlemen, what is the first thing you have to do before you play WWIIonline? Dis/agree to the Playnet TOS. Now I have been banned for half of one year's subscription. I did not get a refund in accordance with those TOS and which I agreed to. Now I would like to stress at this point that my ban should merely be regarded as an extreme example of the TOS in practice.

Rather more contentious though is the right to withold monies paid for a service not rendered (whatever the cause of that may be, it is but a mere irrelevance). I for one, disagree. But I am more angered as to having been prevented from raising the issue at all. Must I honestly beg for forgiveness in (mis)interpreting my posts as (not) within the topic of the thread.

My God! Goebbels would have looked kindly on such a forum. Although I didn't say so in prcisely those ahem....terms, I would have thought a refund of the subscription fees for the time not played (rounded off to the nearest month, say) would have a more proper way of ending a 'business relationship'.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have some offline peace to enjoy.

Old_Canuck
01-18-2006, 12:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stubby:
Though I've complained about the sound quality of IL2 PF and the lack of immersive content that shipped out of the box, Il2 is the king of all kings. Stability and eye candy is unmatched in my opinion. DCG has extended the life of this product beyond belief. There's only one other game that's been on my HD as long as Il2 - Diablo! Anyway, playing other air plane games does give one a profound appreciation for how solid Il2 really is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stubby, the sounds are in there if you have the equipment to squeeze them out. I followed some advice on this forum awhile back regarding base boost etc. and now there's multiple layers of sounds coming through the Plantronics headset. That's what worked on MY system but apparently a visitor to Oleg's setup was surprised at the sounds he heard on his system. It's great hearing that deep throaty radial sound again. Reminds me of some of the radial sounds from the better mods. in CFS2 but they were repetitious whereas IL2's sounds are more variable.

Bearcat99
01-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Without a doubt this sim is the big dog on the block. The first sim that I really got into was MSCFS... I had tried a few others before that but.... due to life and hardware issues I couldnt really dive in like I did here.... but CFS1 was a great intro and it blew me away when I saw thwe detail.. but this thing.... whooooo baby.. I was getting bored with CFS1 just before CFS3 came out.. and if not for IL2 I probably wouldnt be flying now..... at least not like I do.... but IL2 sucked me right in bigtime.... and once FB came out it was off to the races for me.... I am still amazed that this series has held my intrest... with an iron grip.... for so long... it's been 4+ years now......

Pig_Mac
01-18-2006, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Horneypig:
Does someone know if the creators of IL-2 and PF are going to make a Flight sim like MFS 9 ?
IL-2 and PF are so realistic, MFS 9 is just like HOTP, but with better textures.

I only have read that they are making a new 'helicopter' sim: Whirlwind of Vietnam. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it isn't the 1C:maddox team making the 'Whirlwind of Vietnam' just part of 1C. I also think MS have the civ.flying crowd in their grip, and leave X-plane a small part of the more experimental crowd.

And the work of the new MS flightsim looks really promising:
http://www.fsplanet.com/fsplanet_com_fsx.htm

msalama
01-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Yeah, this is hands down the best sim I've tried. FS2004 is OK (and yes, apples and oranges but hey, here we go) but the majority of the planes nevertheless suffer from unrealistic FMs and lousy-looking cockpits, and the aerophysical engine doesn't model near-the-edge / abnormal flying conditions at all!

Well our FMs aren't perfect either, but they're still the best I know. And the eye candy's there too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2006, 07:13 PM
My only real gripe about IL2 is the claustrophobic`ness` of the cockpit. Yes, I know cockpits are like that, but after my stint of BOBWOV and being able to look out of the side of the plane (with cockpit open), I still find myself trying to look outside my cockpit slighty in IL2... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

henriksultan
01-21-2006, 11:59 AM
One boring summer day when it was raining outside I decided to try this sim thingi, never tried it before and I couldnt for the likes of me understand the joy of it... but...

Installed the demo, using my mouse to fly and just from this one mission I was hooked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Went in to town and bought the full game and a joystick and have since loving every second of Il2 and all is expansions...
Have tried a bunch of other sims but no one is even close to the joy this game gives me...

Sure it has it flaws like all games but this is the only game EVER to stay installed during all times and some times I just fly around and just loving all the small things u see when looking closly... awsome!

Maddox... I love u... and hate u for making me spend som many hours inside insted of hanging with friends.. ( I have a girl friend dont worry ppl http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

triad773
01-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes the last sim I had before this one was MS CFS 2. I remember before getting that one I marveled at the fact one could almost count the rivets in the aircraft skins. But the FM seemed wierd some way, and the limitations of that sim became apparent eventually. Then I started reading about IL-2, and EAP. I looked at screens for a bit- took the plung, and never looked back! Never tried MSCFS 3: it looked weak! I also have to say that as time has gone on, I do enjoy more and more facets of this sim. I don't have as much time as I like to fly, but there is so much to this game. I have learnt a lot just looking at posts here when I am work (has helped pass many a slow day).

Still love this sim; think it'll be king for a bit longer. Going to be loving BoB too, whenever it comes out!

Cheers-

Triad

james_ander
01-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Nothing even touches the original IL2 IMO, I still play it with a buddy who has an old PC (Duron 700 MHz, ATI 7200 or some horror like that). I beg him all the time to get a new PC but he is currently unemployed.

Bearcat99
01-21-2006, 05:32 PM
I thinmk this sim is better... there are little things that you will notice if you go back in forth... but IL2 is a classic for sure... and even the original fully patched is a joy to fly.

tagTaken2
01-22-2006, 09:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

These days I play MSFS. I downloaded some addons to enhance the ground and the weather and I've started the big journey. Around the world in a Beech Baron. I started from Heathrow and now I'm in Albania. I don't know yet how I'll cross the Pacific http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. They say it can be done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Some do it in a Cessna 172 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did it in the Wright Flyer.

In real time.

Tully__
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nachtjadg:
It would be really good to hear what RL pilots have to say about the FM between FB and MS FS as MS FS sims to be the "stardard" out there as far as popular entertainment flight sims go. To me compared to FB, the FM of MS FS is not realistic at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most (though not all) real life pilots will tell you that the MS sims are better for procedures training (navigation, air traffic control and avoidance, checklists etc...) but that X-Plane or IL2 series have better flight models when doing "extreme" flying.

msalama
01-23-2006, 12:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">X-Plane or IL2 series have better flight models when doing "extreme" flying. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, but last time I tried X-Plane (V8.something) it still couldn't do spins at all regardless of the AC I tested it with. So IL-2 _still_ wins I'm afraid http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But hey, how about Targetware? Some say it's the most realistic sim around FM-wise...

Tully__
01-23-2006, 02:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by msalama:
But hey, how about Targetware? Some say it's the most realistic sim around FM-wise... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Stiglr and friends are very passionate about the FM. Most that play it do so for the theatres that aren't offered by any other sim... the British night bombing missions... Rabaul, New Guninea... and others like them.

I've had a go at it a while ago and it has some merit but at that time it was not my cup of tea. I'm about to try another round of checking out the alternatives (do it about twice a year) so it may get another go, but I'm not holding my breath.

madsarmy
01-23-2006, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Old_Canuck:
the sounds are in there if you have the equipment to squeeze them out. I followed some advice on this forum awhile back regarding base boost etc. and now there's multiple layers of sounds coming through the Plantronics headset. That's what worked on MY system but apparently a visitor to Oleg's setup was surprised at the sounds he heard on his system. It's great hearing that deep throaty radial sound again. Reminds me of some of the radial sounds from the better mods. in CFS2 but they were repetitious whereas IL2's sounds are more variable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Engine Sound has been the only thing I have ever had a gripe about & things are greatly improved with a good sound system, but $1000s spent on a sound system still wont make it sound like a Merlin.
When all's said & done. Nothing beats IL2. Oleg & team has something to be very proud of.

cpirrmann
01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I fly real planes and I can tell you that IL2 is the closest to RL that I've seen. There are short-comings to be sure but I won't go into those. I have loaded CFS3 and patched it to Over Flanders Fields so I can fly WWI (my favorite genre) and I am very impressed with the work they'vve done. Still, it's not a serious competitor to IL2 but since the WWI and some Korean era planes can't be put into IL2 nor the maps, this we must do.

Old_Canuck
01-24-2006, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cpirrmann:
I fly real planes and I can tell you that IL2 is the closest to RL that I've seen. .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with this. Haven't taken the yoke of a real plane for a lot of years but this sim really brings back the "feeling" of flight. Sometimes during a landing flare just before the wheels touch a wing drops requiring overcorrection to keep it level .. feels real enough for my budget http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF-29_Sandman
01-24-2006, 01:33 PM
oleg has THE flight sim of the decade. be sure. in comparisons to cfs1/2/3, this beats em as badly as the steelers trounced the browns at home.
the biggest thing of il-2 is...the game is code locked. those that wish to cheat dont play il-2 because oleg has made it impossible to hack the planes, and that was rampant in the days of cfs2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

and graphics....omg oleg, u are GOD in this dept. ur only competetor would have to be falcon4, but f4 has 3x's the learning curve, + a manual that almost needs actual military flight schooling to even figure it out.