PDA

View Full Version : Flying consistantly?

Freiwillige
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Today I had a perfect fight, I could do no wrong and my rounds landed exactly where I wanted them! It was a Zen moment almost sureal.

Me 2 Bf109 F2 Them 4 I-16 type 24's
quick mission builder. Now normally I have a bear of a time dealing with the Rata's. But not this time. Here's the scenario.

Phase 1, The merge. Closing fast I use a shallow dive wait until the lead passes right over me and then pull up and fire into the engine and belly of his wingman. Results, wingman damaged and emiting black smoke he follows his lead into a shallow right turn then suddenly rolls and dives inverted into the ground.

Phase 2, the second merge. After climbing I turn around ind merge again this time they are climbing and I am diving both at a 20 to 30 degree angle. The lead of the second group stalls trying to climb to me and noses down, I push my nose down a hair and rake his cockpit with cannon and MG fire. Result dead pilot. Rinse and repaeat last scenario 2x more and im done.

So ive concluded that although to me some days I cant win, its not the CPU or the A.I. its me!!! Im just not flying consistantly as good as I can, whether I am impatiant or overly agressive.

I guess in real life pilots had their off and good days too.

WTE_Galway
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Today I had a perfect fight, I could do no wrong and my rounds landed exactly where I wanted them! It was a Zen moment almost sureal.

Me 2 Bf109 F2 Them 4 I-16 type 24's
quick mission builder. Now normally I have a bear of a time dealing with the Rata's. But not this time. Here's the scenario.

Phase 1, The merge. Closing fast I use a shallow dive wait until the lead passes right over me and then pull up and fire into the engine and belly of his wingman. Results, wingman damaged and emiting black smoke he follows his lead into a shallow right turn then suddenly rolls and dives inverted into the ground.

Phase 2, the second merge. After climbing I turn around ind merge again this time they are climbing and I am diving both at a 20 to 30 degree angle. The lead of the second group stalls trying to climb to me and noses down, I push my nose down a hair and rake his cockpit with cannon and MG fire. Result dead pilot. Rinse and repaeat last scenario 2x more and im done.

So ive concluded that although to me some days I cant win, its not the CPU or the A.I. its me!!! Im just not flying consistantly as good as I can, whether I am impatiant or overly agressive.

There was a whole series of "inner game" popular psych books back in the 80's based on the idea that what limits most people is not lack of skill but inner blocks and insecurities and doubts.

Skoshi Tiger
12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

There was a whole series of "inner game" popular psych books back in the 80's based on the idea that what limits most people is not lack of skill but inner blocks and insecurities and doubts.

I wanted to write something witty and profound, but just couldn't bring myself to do it!

Very true, except in real life you would have had to be lucky to get through your off-days!

M_Gunz
12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Keep us updated, perhaps you won't do poorly next or the next after time. Maybe something clicked?

Freiwillige
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
"So ive concluded that although to me some days I cant win, its not the CPU or the A.I. its me!!! Im just not flying consistantly as good as I can, whether I am impatiant or overly agressive."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gifYep did you hear the click?

Crikey2008
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
salute and at ease!

I'm curious.

Check your track if you made one...it's unlikely an A1 I-16 would stall even if the pilot is a rookie. More likely, the A1 modelled an engine cutout while climbing.

K_Freddie
12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Crikey2008:
Check your track if you made one...it's unlikely an A1 I-16 would stall even if the pilot is a rookie. More likely, the A1 modelled an engine cutout while climbing.
He probably means a 'stall turn', when they ran out of steam.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Freiwillige
12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
As in he is climbing at too steep an angle to be able to maintain sufficient airspeed to maintain the angle of climb. End result is that he must nose down or gravity will force his nose down. To me it appeared the second option as his nose was going down and his wing was dropping slightly giving me a perfect top down shot while he was floating with no forward momentum and just begining his decent.

WTE_Galway
12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
As in he is climbing at too steep an angle to be able to maintain sufficient airspeed to maintain the angle of climb. End result is that he must nose down or gravity will force his nose down. To me it appeared the second option as his nose was going down and his wing was dropping slightly giving me a perfect top down shot while he was floating with no forward momentum and just begining his decent.

What always annoys me is how the enemy (online or AI both the same) can somehow magically sense the moment I run out of ammo and suddenly present a perfect target sitting fair in the middle of my gunsight letting me close right up on their 6 and virtually chew off their tail with my prop just to taunt me about conserving ammo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
My skills on Il-2 vary complately from day to day. One day I can't hit a brick wall, and the next day I can fly the same mission and blow every enemy out of the sky with ease.

M_Gunz
12-04-2008, 04:01 AM

That is why I dislike hammerheads so much at least for myself. Winging over to keep maneuver speed keeps options open while
the hammerhead narrows them down to nothing for a handful of seconds and still takes time again to get it all back.

EDIT: when he's near best climb he's also near worst ability to change course but that's all tied with being slow.

crucislancer
12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
My skills on Il-2 vary complately from day to day. One day I can't hit a brick wall, and the next day I can fly the same mission and blow every enemy out of the sky with ease.

I get like that sometimes, and it's usually some kind of frustration that leads me to the "Can't hit a brick wall" stage. At that point, I turn it off and come back later. Also, sometimes all it takes is a change of plane or scenery, like if I'm concentrating on playing some Luftwaffe missions and getting my *** handed to me, I might switch over to a USMC campaign and perhaps fair better.

DuxCorvan
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

What limits me is lack of money and luck. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif