04-16-2007, 05:23 PM
teh lol

Pollack2006
04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
And don't fly as a Vic formation...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Seconded....the stupidest idea the RAF ever came up with.

Viper2005_
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't go that far; you've got to consider it in the context in which it was developed.

The Vic was basically a WWI formation. In the absence of R/T it's very difficult to keep widely spaced formations together.

The Vic allows inexperienced pilots to follow their leader and see his hand signals. It also allows them to bring their guns to bear without risk of hitting other members of the formation. This was especially important when fighter armament generally consisted of only one or two rifle calibre machine guns.

The fact is that the Luftwaffe had an advantage in combat experience thanks to the involvement of many of its pilots in the Spanish Civil War, which greatly facilitated the development of "modern" fighter tactics.

The finger four formation that developed as a result of this experience was certainly more effective than the Vic. But that's perhaps a little like saying that a Fw190 is better than a Spitfire V. Through no particular fault of the Spitfire V, the 190 was just a generation ahead. So it was with the Vic, which would have worked very well had WWII been fought slightly earlier, just as the Spitfire V was effective prior to the introduction of the Fw190.

Don't forget that the RAF's last Biplane fighters saw combat during WWII...

Very interesting poster BTW; note the lack of armoured glass and seat back armour, and the early roundels. I'm guessing that this drawing is Battle of France vintage or earlier. This is one of the only depictions I've seen of the 110 as a fighter rather than a target...

Waldo.Pepper
04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
They shouldn't have been wearing that tube top and mini-skirt in that dark alley.

horseback
04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
Very interesting poster BTW; note the lack of armoured glass and seat back armour, and the early roundels. I'm guessing that this drawing is Battle of France vintage or earlier. This is one of the only depictions I've seen of the 110 as a fighter rather than a target... Pointy spinner indicates a Watts fixed two bladed prop, and the antenna is a round post type; I'd say you're right.

Early war-Sitzkreig period. AFAIK, the Hurris in France were upgraded to metal wings and variable pitch airscrews by the time of the Battle of France.

cheers

horseback