PDA

View Full Version : The most aggravating facet of this sim for me

mortoma
09-21-2007, 07:43 PM
The fact that when only one of your wing tanks is leaking all your tanks empty and you run out of fuel! Has been happening to me in the P-38J model lately. Although sometimes the wing tank that leaks eventually reseals itself. I can forgive all the zany problems with the AI and such but this problem irritates me to no end.

Funny, ( and although I hate to admit it ) I forgot to screw on the fuel cap on the left wing tank of a Cessna 172 once and streamed fuel all the way home. But of course I did not lose fuel in the other tank!!! Figures that it was on the side where the retaining chain was broken so I lost the cap in the process. The airport manager was 50 different types of ticked off!!! But I not only offered to replace the cap, I also offered to reimburse the airport for the lost rental time on the plane, since it took a long time to get a used replacement cap. But he did not accept my offer. They probably lost a good amount of rental on that plane in that time since it was perfect flying weather. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

DKoor
09-21-2007, 08:03 PM
IIRC even great game CFS2 had this thing modeled I seem to remember fiddling something with the fuel tanks selecting them and stuff.
Of course I was so experienced, that every once and while my engine quits at me because I selected the empty fuel tank.
That's how remember that I could do it in the first place.

Now.....whether it had some impact of the actual aircraft model - that remains unknown to me, but probably not.

Choctaw111
09-21-2007, 08:03 PM
So you're saying that when one drop tank leaks, they both lose fuel? I have never noticed that before, but if I had it would surely annoy me.

DKoor
09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes many aircraft in this game have physically unconnected fuel tanks.
But if you get fuel leak, it drains them all.
You must have noticed that but you probably didn't paid attention to it just like me, to some point where I compared it to the CFS2 and it became clear to me.

Most interesting part of that story is ac behavior when it runs almost dry. Among others people seem to like P-51 debates and how great handling should be when center tank is drained.

I sure hope that thing is modeled in SoW.

mortoma
09-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
So you're saying that when one drop tank leaks, they both lose fuel? I have never noticed that before, but if I had it would surely annoy me. Yep, it's more likely to be noticed by us offliners I think. Since onliners usually don't end up flying 100 miles to do battle, as the maps are usually smaller. So even if someone online gets a leak, they can usually make it home before fuel exhaustion takes place. But some coop maps are normal sized though.

buzzsaw1939
09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Mortoma...Don't feel bad, guess who eles has done that, and I'm a professional! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif