PDA

View Full Version : just a story I heard

Hristo_
12-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Here's a story I heard the other day - from my boss. We talked about lot of things and somehow conversation went to WW2. It happens that his uncle was fighting in WW2, on Axis side.

In early 1945 Red army was already deep in Hungary, very close to Croatian border (near Balaton, in fact, which is even on one of our maps).

Croatian soldiers were fighting them too, together with other Axis forces.

One day, a group of 30-40 Soviet tanks, presumably T-34s, was spotted resting near Axis positions and our troops called for tank support. Germans sent 6 Tigers.

Tiger crews parked the tanks and proceeded on foot to recon the area. They took careful plans of Soviet force. Once finished, they went back to the tanks and placed them into firing positions - most of them chosen behind a railroad embankment.

Once ready, they started firing in coordinated fahion. A tank would rise by driving up the embankment, fire, then quickly drive back to reload.

Each tank fired only a few shots before changing its position along the embankment. In a matter of minutes, they destroyed most of Soviet tanks. Only few of Soviet tanks survived the attack by running away along with their infantry in panic. Germans losses were nil.

Needless to say, our troops very much impressed with what they've seen.

arrigoni1961
12-25-2005, 12:23 PM
... One typical action "from handbook" from part of the Tiger:
- acquisition of the tactical situation;
- combined attack taking advantage of the superiority of the German tank in precision of shooting to outside from the capacity of the T-34 and in training of the crews.
On the medium-long distances, the Tiger was invincible...

HotelBushranger
12-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Impressive http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jugent
12-26-2005, 04:12 AM
It seems as the german engineers really want to give the soldiers the best weapon there was to find.
The Tiger, Panther was so much better than most tanks, only JSII could match them.

Both Tirpitz and Bismarck was state of the art in 1940, 1941.

Its odd that the armour-constructors did so well and the aircraft engineers did so poor, in this game anyway

ImpStarDuece
12-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by jugent:

Its odd that the armour-constructors did so well and the aircraft engineers did so poor, in this game anyway

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have that dead-horse beating smiley? I think it would be appropriate right about now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jds1978
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Hristo_
Posted Sun December 25 2005 10:12
Here's a story I heard the other day - from my boss. We talked about lot of things and somehow conversation went to WW2. It happens that his uncle was fighting in WW2, on Axis side.

In early 1945 Red army was already deep in Hungary, very close to Croatian border (near Balaton, in fact, which is even on one of our maps).

Croatian soldiers were fighting them too, together with other Axis forces.

One day, a group of 30-40 Soviet tanks, presumably T-34s, was spotted resting near Axis positions and our troops called for tank support. Germans sent 6 Tigers.

Tiger crews parked the tanks and proceeded on foot to recon the area. They took careful plans of Soviet force. Once finished, they went back to the tanks and placed them into firing positions - most of them chosen behind a railroad embankment.

Once ready, they started firing in coordinated fahion. A tank would rise by driving up the embankment, fire, then quickly drive back to reload.

Each tank fired only a few shots before changing its position along the embankment. In a matter of minutes, they destroyed most of Soviet tanks. Only few of Soviet tanks survived the attack by running away along with their infantry in panic. Germans losses were nil.

Needless to say, our troops very much impressed with what they've seen.

sounds about right to me. absolutely textbook!

wayno7777
12-26-2005, 06:03 PM
The mask unmask strategy that attack heicopters use....

wayno7777
12-26-2005, 06:03 PM
The mask unmask strategy that attack helicopters use....

WarWolfe_1
12-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Same tactics that are used by most armys of today. Very effective, not to mention demorlaizing to the enemy. You can't hit what you can't see, or what was there but not now. Ask the Veit Cong about that.

LStarosta
12-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by arrigoni1961:

On the medium-long distances, the Tiger was invincible...

That's one thing me and the Tiger have in common.