PDA

View Full Version : target leading

hdjuey
02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
how do you lead a fast aircraft, every time I do, I lose sight cause my own aircraft nose is blocking {and where can I find Info on how flight controls on WWII A/C where installed}

3.JG51_BigBear
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
You need to decrease your deflection angle. It all depends on your situation but a lag-turn or a yo-yo manuever are probable your best bet. You can easily get descriptions of either by using google. Also, if you play long enough you will get a feel for where the enemy is even when he falls below your nose and given the right circumstances you may be able to gauge the timing and distance properly to hit him.

XyZspineZyX
02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hdjuey:
how do you lead a fast aircraft, every time I do, I lose sight cause my own aircraft nose is blocking {and where can I find Info on how flight controls on WWII A/C where installed}

Typically the high deflection shot you describe was not a favored tactic. You will need to alter your own tactics so that this shot is not your primary weapon but rather just another weapon in your aresenal. If this is the only shot you can make, then your approach to air combat needs fine-tuning. It is a low probability shot as you point out yourself, because the target is blocked from your view

Can you elaborate on what you want to know when you ask this :

"{and where can I find Info on how flight controls on WWII A/C where installed}"

I don't know if you mean physically attached to the cockpit, what step of the assembly line process involved installing the controls, how the controls physically act on the control surfaces, or what.

VW-IceFire
02-15-2007, 05:09 PM
There's a couple of things you can do. The first is blind shooting which I feel I'm actually pretty good at. You get a sight on the target aircraft, estimate deflection, pull the nose up into the shot and fire a burst. Works best with aircraft that have large numbers of guns and even better when those large numbers are destructive too. The danger is that the guy see's this and pushes out of the turn and then you start over again.

The second is what is known as lag pursuit. Most pilots online are all about lead pursuit which means that you put your nose and plane on target as often and as long as possible when chasing a turning target. Lag pursuit seems like a bad approach because instead of pointing your nose at the target you're pointing at where he was and trying to make your plane fall in behind his turn.

This sounds bad but it means that you get some extra speed and if you leverage it right you can then pull into a turn with far more power and in a spot where you're now under him as he straightens out from the turn. The other advantage is that because you generally didn't have to waste as much energy in the turn you can do two things. One is that you can now plant yourself on his six (as mentioned above) or if he's a really solid turn fighter now you can do the overhead yo-yo because you have the energy to do it.

So you go up, roll, and come back down on the other side of his turn. Plays havok with the turn fighters who think they can out turn a boom and zoom speed machine every time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hdjuey
02-15-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks both of you on ? 2 I looking for from the control yoke, the cables to the control surface IE hydraulic, cables whatever make them move

tigertalon
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Jump him when he does not see you. If he does, and tries to maneouver to avoid your attack, run and find yourself another in(un?)cautius target. Do not dogfight. If you have to pull a lead to get a shot, u screwed up already. 80% of downed planes IRL didn't see their attacker. Aircombat is more about treacherous sneaky assasination than a chivalry 1v1 dogfighting.

Doh, I forgot that offline AI planes have an all seeing eye which will detect you also if you approach them from the most undetectable angles (like low 6).

U can tell I'm a 190 driver, can't you... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Now, if you insist on dogfighting 1v1, guys above explained it pretty well. Perform a lag pursuit which Ice described nicely, with cutting the corner here and there so you close in on him. Hold fire until he fills your entire windscreen. No need to pull angle then. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-HH-Quazi
02-16-2007, 05:14 AM
I know it is a hard shot to make, but when you do splash one firing ahead while he is still under your nose, the feeling is very rewarding let me tell ya. I have gotten pretty good at it. As long as they keep the same line of travel once I pull my nose ahead of them, they are pretty much dead meat. Trouble is, all the better pilots are watching and know what to look for and therefore move their line of travel. AI, well that is another story. Real pilots that know what they are doing, a real challenge.

WB_Outlaw
02-16-2007, 05:44 AM
thanks both of you on ? 2 I looking for from the control yoke, the cables to the control surface IE hydraulic, cables whatever make them move

The late model P-38s had hydraulically boosted ailerons. All other aircraft used either cables or pushrods to move the control surfaces. Also, only a P-38 had a yoke, everything else had a stick.

--Outlaw.

Waldo.Pepper
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Also, only a P-38 had a yoke, everything else had a stick.

Several others had/have a yoke. (Arado, A-20 - etc.)

WB_Outlaw
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, only a P-38 had a yoke, everything else had a stick.

Several others had/have a yoke. (Arado, A-20 - etc.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but the Arado ain't a real aircraft cuz real aircraft have props and the A-20 and it's kin are just targets.

--Outlaw.

M2morris
02-18-2007, 10:10 PM
how do you lead a fast aircraft, every time I do, I lose sight cause my own aircraft nose is blocking
In response to your post I made this short- low quality IL2 movie of me in an F4U-1C getting some lucky shots, complete with an overlydramatical sound track.
Have fun.
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/?actio...&current=F4Uhits.flv (http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/?action=view&current=F4Uhits.flv)