PDA

View Full Version : about the biggest fail in recent gaming history

dammitjohnny
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi there

I just wanted to talk a bit about this whole mess thats currently going on.

first off i myself did not buy the game and didnt even notice that its finally out. but my "lil" brother called me cause the game doesnt work for him.

after checking the internet for the reasons i was stunned. but since i looovveee e-drama i kept reading and reading and searching. and now i know that ubisoft managed to fail so epicly hard that people will talk in years about it.

Man i really would love to talk to the masterminds behind all that. do people really get paid for destroying companies? what did they think?

"oh lets delay the game for half a year, spend mass $ on the most annoying anticopy mechanic just so we can **** of the maximum of customers so they wont buy the game or any ubisoft game ever again!"

im sure they thought something like that giggling like crazy drinking 500$ scotch (which ofc was paid by the company they are hurting).

cause NO ONE in their right mind and ANY knowledge about pcs,games,marketing,customer service and copyprotection would ever ever ever do something like that.

I mean wherever you look you see people complaining about the trouble of registering an account with evry stupid publisher in existance. people dont want that. infact most hate it and some even pirate games only for that reason(i for example know several people that cracked gta4 because they refused to play along with the crappy rockstar club).

but the majority did what they had to do, registered online and then could atleast ignore all the bull**** companies like to force upon them.

But now comes ubisoft with the biggest "FU CUSTOMER! U DO WHAT WE SAY!" sign ever. so we cant play a singeplayer game when and where the customer wants to. this is not only against the very basics of a normal customer relationship but also entirely useless.

because we all know that there is no uncrackable protection. we all know that there never will be anything that cant be cracked. hell if you really managed to make it not possible to crack it in a normal way (which is not the case) the cracking crews will take the challenge and just emulate your stupid servers.
people will play this and your future games without paying like evry other game to date and to come.

so you knew that the customers hate beeing forced into stuff because of copyprotection.

you knew that the history of failed protection is long and even destroyd game releases.

you knew that the game will be cracked anyways. no matter how much you deny it.

and knowing all that you decided to pull off the biggest and most annyoing anti piracy thing ever that hurts thousands and thousands of customers that bought or wouldve bought your game. epic, really.

but your smart guys decided its worth it. i gonna tell you why it is not worth it:

1. the development and server cost for your drm. i ofcourse dont know any numbers.would be interesting tho how many more copys you would have to sell to even get breakeven with it.

2. as said the game will be cracked. you cant do anything against it. if you think it cant be cracked then stop living in a fairy tale world.

3. the direct loss of (ten-)thousands of sales. obviously people without a decent internet connection wont buy your game. people that want play on their laptop while traveling wont buy your game.ofcourse the people that simply boycott you for treating your customers as idiots wont buy your game. people that still have to pay per internet time wont buy your game. the list goes on.

4. and this is the by far most important point. yes more important then the loss of hundreds of thousands $ resulting from 1. and 3. :

you are getting the worst publicity right now i have EVER seen.

Check your forums, the majority of your customers is straight ****ed at you.

check the reviews. evry single one i found gave AC2 pc versions several points less because of the idiotic drm . (like 80% instead of 90%)

check amazon/ebay customer feedbacks. it has the buy FAR worst scores i have ever seen for any major release.

check community sites writing articles and rallying people to boycott your games.

this will cost you more then anything else. people will remember ubisoft from now on as "aaahh, that company that treated their customers like scum". many people will think twice about buying your games from now on. some people will start pirating cause they dont want to put up with your crap.

inshort, this very entertaining little E-drama will cost you millions and millions in the next years.

and what did you gain? the cracking crews need a few more days to release their work. was that worth it?

but the good thing is that other publishers/companys will learn from that which will be good for us all. so thank you ubisoft for sacrificing your good name!

you can toy with your customers if you have monopoly power like microsoft. not when you are a struggling games publisher.

and a closing protip from someone a bit in the scene:

the best copy protections are

a) a good game
b) WORTHWHILE EXTRA content for buying the game.be it multiplayer,constant updates/new content or whatever.

the majority of the people i know test games before they buy em. and evry single one i know bought dragon age,mass effect 2 etc because the games are just amazing and deserve the support.

so again thank you ubisoft for showing evryone in the industry how much hate you can get for treating customers like crap and forcing them into stuff they dont want.

p.s. you should fire the ones responsible for this crap. not the programmers or the one responsible for the failing servers. but the ones who came up with this system

p.p.s yes i was bored. really enjoyd reading all the drama tho.

p.p.p.s. i will help my brother to crack the game so his 50 arent wasted (since u cant bring back opened games obviously) and then never have anything to do with your weird company again. :>

MrNussbaum
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I didn't read your post. I'm assuming it's about Mass Effect 2's scanning feature?

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by MrNussbaum:
I didn't read your post. I'm assuming it's about Mass Effect 2's scanning feature?

he didnt buy the game cos he didnt like the drm

SWJS
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by MrNussbaum:
I didn't read your post. I'm assuming it's about Mass Effect 2's scanning feature? No. It is, once again, a huge rant about how DRM is the worst thing EVAR.

dammitjohnny
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
stupid me expecting people beeing able to read a text thats longer then 3 lines.

and its indeed a rant about drm aka the worst decision in recent gaming history :>

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by dammitjohnny:
stupid me expecting people beeing able to read a text thats longer then 3 lines.

and its indeed a rant about drm aka the worst decision in recent gaming history :>

we have been reading these same things for days,1.8 million sold on release,yet you people keep trying to tell us that ALL ubisoft customers are complaining.

you typed half a screen of nothing new,all the time saying you dont even have the game.

so you cant blame us for not bothering to reread another tirade of non truths and mis informed nibblets.

dammitjohnny
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
why is me having the game relevant in any way?

im talkin about a company wasting money to torture their customers for nothing.

if you dont care about the trend of "PUNISH OUR CUSTOMERS! THEY ALL ARE DIRTY THIEVES AND GOTTA DO WHAT WE WANT!" then well... touch your toes and pretend the giant thing penetrating your insides isnt there :>

but others do care as u can see in the recent uproar evrywhere. and many do care even if they arent affected. like me, i was just bored and find this whole thing entertaining as ****. oh and i somehow jsut dislike it when customers are dealt with as scum.

/edit oh also im a bit ****ed cause my little brother wasted some of his precious money on a game he wont be able to play legally, which he cant sell and cant get a refund. thus beeing totally ripped off.

SeaFireLIV
03-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Hi there

I just wanted to talk a bit about this whole mess thats currently going on.

first off i myself did not buy the game and didnt even notice that its finally out. but my "lil" brother called me cause the game doesnt work for him.

after checking the internet for the reasons i was stunned. but since i looovveee e-drama i kept reading and reading and searching. and now i know that ubisoft managed to fail so epicly hard that people will talk in years about it.

Man i really would love to talk to the masterminds behind all that. do people really get paid for destroying companies? what did they think?

"oh lets delay the game for half a year, spend mass $ on the most annoying anticopy mechanic just so we can **** of the maximum of customers so they wont buy the game or any ubisoft game ever again!"

im sure they thought something like that giggling like crazy drinking 500$ scotch (which ofc was paid by the company they are hurting).

cause NO ONE in their right mind and ANY knowledge about pcs,games,marketing,customer service and copyprotection would ever ever ever do something like that.

I mean wherever you look you see people complaining about the trouble of registering an account with evry stupid publisher in existance. people dont want that. infact most hate it and some even pirate games only for that reason(i for example know several people that cracked gta4 because they refused to play along with the crappy rockstar club).

but the majority did what they had to do, registered online and then could atleast ignore all the bull**** companies like to force upon them.

But now comes ubisoft with the biggest "FU CUSTOMER! U DO WHAT WE SAY!" sign ever. so we cant play a singeplayer game when and where the customer wants to. this is not only against the very basics of a normal customer relationship but also entirely useless.

because we all know that there is no uncrackable protection. we all know that there never will be anything that cant be cracked. hell if you really managed to make it not possible to crack it in a normal way (which is not the case) the cracking crews will take the challenge and just emulate your stupid servers.
people will play this and your future games without paying like evry other game to date and to come.

so you knew that the customers hate beeing forced into stuff because of copyprotection.

you knew that the history of failed protection is long and even destroyd game releases.

you knew that the game will be cracked anyways. no matter how much you deny it.

and knowing all that you decided to pull off the biggest and most annyoing anti piracy thing ever that hurts thousands and thousands of customers that bought or wouldve bought your game. epic, really.

but your smart guys decided its worth it. i gonna tell you why it is not worth it:

1. the development and server cost for your drm. i ofcourse dont know any numbers.would be interesting tho how many more copys you would have to sell to even get breakeven with it.

2. as said the game will be cracked. you cant do anything against it. if you think it cant be cracked then stop living in a fairy tale world.

3. the direct loss of (ten-)thousands of sales. obviously people without a decent internet connection wont buy your game. people that want play on their laptop while traveling wont buy your game.ofcourse the people that simply boycott you for treating your customers as idiots wont buy your game. people that still have to pay per internet time wont buy your game. the list goes on.

4. and this is the by far most important point. yes more important then the loss of hundreds of thousands $ resulting from 1. and 3. :

you are getting the worst publicity right now i have EVER seen.

Check your forums, the majority of your customers is straight ****ed at you.

check the reviews. evry single one i found gave AC2 pc versions several points less because of the idiotic drm . (like 80% instead of 90%)

check amazon/ebay customer feedbacks. it has the buy FAR worst scores i have ever seen for any major release.

check community sites writing articles and rallying people to boycott your games.

this will cost you more then anything else. people will remember ubisoft from now on as "aaahh, that company that treated their customers like scum". many people will think twice about buying your games from now on. some people will start pirating cause they dont want to put up with your crap.

inshort, this very entertaining little E-drama will cost you millions and millions in the next years.

and what did you gain? the cracking crews need a few more days to release their work. was that worth it?

but the good thing is that other publishers/companys will learn from that which will be good for us all. so thank you ubisoft for sacrificing your good name!

you can toy with your customers if you have monopoly power like microsoft. not when you are a struggling games publisher.

and a closing protip from someone a bit in the scene:

the best copy protections are

a) a good game
b) WORTHWHILE EXTRA content for buying the game.be it multiplayer,constant updates/new content or whatever.

the majority of the people i know test games before they buy em. and evry single one i know bought dragon age,mass effect 2 etc because the games are just amazing and deserve the support.

so again thank you ubisoft for showing evryone in the industry how much hate you can get for treating customers like crap and forcing them into stuff they dont want.

p.s. you should fire the ones responsible for this crap. not the programmers or the one responsible for the failing servers. but the ones who came up with this system

p.p.s yes i was bored. really enjoyd reading all the drama tho.

p.p.p.s. i will help my brother to crack the game so his 50 arent wasted (since u cant bring back opened games obviously) and then never have anything to do with your weird company again. :>

Excellent post.

While I hate the UBI DRM with the rage and passion of a man quoting the Bible and about to bring fire and brimstone upon the wicked, this `e-drama` has certainly kept me entertained for free!

I usually visit the Silent Hunter 5 forum where the same evil DRM is causing a revolution. I came here to see how our brethren in arms are doing with it!

Need a new bag of popcorn for the next UBI screw up.

bigmaun
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Hmmm.... Wel I bought the Black Box edition of the game from EB Games in Australia waited for ages after the pre-release date came and went over and over.
Whilst I am enjoying the game I must agree that the having to be online to play is a major turnoff and I did not know in advance that this would be the case, it would probably have made me think about the purchase. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
My other complaint is after paying $AU115 then not being able to copy the music from the sound track on the bonus DVD to my Ipod is a bit much. Surely I have paid for my product. So yes I tend to agree that I will look much closer at products from this company in the future.
Regards
Allan

AnthonyA85
03-08-2010, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine found this on Ubisoft's Twitter page:

http://twitter.com/Ubisoft/statuses/10184920360

Jist of it is, Ubi's DRM monitoring servers are getting attacked/hack attempts by people desperate to disable the DRM.

dammitjohnny
03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Excellent post.

While I hate the UBI DRM with the rage and passion of a man quoting the Bible and about to bring fire and brimstone upon the wicked, this `e-drama` has certainly kept me entertained for free!

I usually visit the Silent Hunter 5 forum where the same evil DRM is causing a revolution. I came here to see how our brethren in arms are doing with it!

Need a new bag of popcorn for the next UBI screw up.

ty :>

ya e-drama is always nice.like those reality tv shows but acutally entertaining http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
A friend of mine found this on Ubisoft's Twitter page:

Jist of it is, Ubi's DRM monitoring servers are getting attacked/hack attempts by people desperate to disable the DRM.

they first said it was because of the load . then suddenly mad hackers were to blame. so i wouldnt give too much credit to that.

and even if that was the case then its still their fault. if their system breaks down because of 1 ****ed off guy ddosing them they maybe shouldnt force people to connect to them for singleplayer.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
why is me having the game relevant in any way?

im talkin about a company wasting money to torture their customers for nothing.

if you dont care about the trend of "PUNISH OUR CUSTOMERS! THEY ALL ARE DIRTY THIEVES AND GOTTA DO WHAT WE WANT!" then well... touch your toes and pretend the giant thing penetrating your insides isnt there :>

but others do care as u can see in the recent uproar evrywhere. and many do care even if they arent affected. like me, i was just bored and find this whole thing entertaining as ****. oh and i somehow jsut dislike it when customers are dealt with as scum.

/edit oh also im a bit ****ed cause my little brother wasted some of his precious money on a game he wont be able to play legally, which he cant sell and cant get a refund. thus beeing totally ripped off.

torture ?
punish ?
dirty thieves ?
scum ?

you need 2 things,desperately.

1: to realise it is just a game
2: you need some therapy

lifes just way too short to shorten even further and waste so much of it on a simple game.

the game owners reaction is to go to the tech support and tell them of the problem.

the rip owners reaction is to froth at the mouth and rant like a loon on a forum because they have to wait to play it free.

its how we adults can tell the age of a poster.

your basically trying to tell a game developer what they can and cant do with thier own software.
even if you had bought the game,do you actually think a few quid gives you the right to dictate to them ?

you have personality issues,bad ones that are going to make your teens a nightmare and your middle age a waste of time,and your old age a very lonely thing.

SergeyTR
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM

????. ??????? Ubi ?? ??????????? ?? ????, ???
??????? ??????? ? ???????. ? ?? ???????????,???
????????? ????? ???????????? ?????? ?????? ??????. ??? ?? ???????? ? ???? ???????????? ???? ? ? ?? ???? ??????.
???? ??????? ????? ?????? ?????? ????????????
? ??? ??? ?? ? ??? ?????? 24 ???? ? ?????. ??? ??? ????? ??????? ??? ?????? ??? ??????? ? ??? ??????. ?? ? ???? ????? ???????? ??? ??????, ? ?? ?????? ? ???????? ? ???????. ?? ??? ????? ? ????? ?????? ???

Translate This!!!!

dammitjohnny
03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:

torture ?
punish ?
dirty thieves ?
scum ?

lifes just way too short to shorten even further and waste so much of it on a simple game.

the game owners reaction is to go to the tech support and tell them of the problem.

the rip owners reaction is to froth at the mouth and rant like a loon on a forum because they have to wait to play it free.

your basically trying to tell a game developer what they can and cant do with thier own software.
even if you had bought the game,do you actually think a few quid gives you the right to dictate to them ?

you have personality issues,bad ones that are going to make your teens a nightmare and your middle age a waste of time,and your old age a very lonely thing.

so mr smartass

you are missing the point,cant read, assume stupid stuff and try to **** me off even tho i never attacked anyone personally.

so what exactly is your problem?

are you sad cause people are angry cause they got ripped off?
are you sad because people dont like what ubisoft is doing with them?
are you sad because im stating my opinion here and you dont agree so you have to try to attack me personally?

get off the high horse and stop going emo for no reason.
if you disagree then either discuss with me with arguments or just ignore it. by trying to diss me with random stuff you pull out of your hurt butt you just look stupid.

so stop derailing my thread.

p.s. forums are there so people can state there opinions and discuss them. jfyi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p.p.s. when you try to sound super smart and cool your post should atleast make sense and not be filled with random prejudice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 07:11 PM
blah blah blah

forums are for grown ups,and you pre teens with your "opinions" are just getting up my nose.

i admit it was funny for a while,but when viewed as a whole,it tends to get a lil tedious.

is your life so empty ?
in my day we had friends to go out and play with,
but sadly these days kids have internet connections that thier parents are not monitoring,or even worse dont care what thier kids are doing with them.

now,try this....

just sit back and think of the state your in,and what your ranting about.

IF you dont see how utterly stupid it is,you need to seek some help.
before you start thinking this is normal behaviour.

not being sarcastic,just trying to show you what you look like from this side of the screen.

for example...
read this >

p.p.s. when you try to sound super smart and cool your post should atleast make sense and not be filled with random prejudice
then read your first post.

Plskn
03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:

torture ?
punish ?
dirty thieves ?
scum ?

so mr smartass

you are missing the point,cant read, assume stupid stuff and try to **** me off even tho i never attacked anyone personally.

so what exactly is your problem?

are you sad cause people are angry cause they got ripped off?
are you sad because people dont like what ubisoft is doing with them?
are you sad because im stating my opinion here and you dont agree so you have to try to attack me personally?

get off the high horse and stop going emo for no reason.
if you disagree then either discuss with me with arguments or just ignore it. by trying to diss me with random stuff you pull out of your hurt butt you just look stupid.

so stop derailing my thread.

p.s. forums are there so people can state there opinions and discuss them. jfyi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

p.p.s. when you try to sound super smart and cool your post should atleast make sense and not be filled with random prejudice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hey
for example...
read this

p.p.s. when you try to sound super smart and cool your post should atleast make sense and not be filled with random prejudice

then read your posts again

RadonMan
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Is the quote above about 1.8 million sales a true number for the PC release?? If so, Ubisoft is not going to do squat about a nasty DRM. They made their bundle and could care less about anything else. Ubisoft, I think, is like a lot of publishers in that they do not think we buy anything other then a license to run their software. They view that disc we purchased as theirs. We just are the suckers who pay them for the right to borrow it. They hate used sales and this DRM provides 2 things: Supposed hacker protection but more importantly, they can now track if a singleplayer game is sold used. All they see are $$. Nothing any of us say will make a difference until we stop buying games.

I was counting the days until this release...then heard about this DRM. Now I will not buy this game until its patched to run offline and I can purchase it used for...10 bucks or whatever.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RadonMan:
I was counting the days until this release...then heard about this DRM. Now I will not buy this game until its patched to run offline and I can purchase it used for...10 bucks or whatever.

exactly what i did,we will get it connection free and at a fraction of the price,and an added bonus of lots of bug fixing done for us.

and sorry to tell you this...
its all about the $$$,with everything in life once we leave home,from the first wage packet robbed of taxes,to the cost of rent,mortgage and food.

we leave home to set out on our own and are straight away stunned that everything we want now comes at a cost.

then we meet the mrs and a lil light comes back to life,then kids and its gets better.

bokeef04
03-08-2010, 09:53 PM
thank you dammitjohnny, until your post i was never aware that hackers are the fault of Ubisoft, which means we can end this problem by just getting rid of Ubisoft, then we will have no more hackers or pirates(or AC3 for that matter)http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

your a smart cookie, so remember, when you get robbed, it's not the robbers fault, it's yours, so don't bother ringing the copshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

also they also say the only bad publicity is no publicity, which is true, think about how Ubisoft is now in the forefront of everyones minds, they aren't thinking about other gaming companies, if they were these forums would be deserted

RadonMan, we are only buying the licence to run the software, it's not like everyone who has bought AC2 now owns the IP and is entitled to a share of the profits, and by your reckoning we shouldn't have to pay server fees on games like WOW, since we own the game, meaning we should be able to play without continually paying to play what we already own

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
just spent some time in the tech forum,had to check just how bad this problem is.

now,i may be old and withered,but do my eyes deceive me or is the problem not as bad as the whiners are making it out to be ?

i expected to find a thread on the drm 9000 pages long,with 9000 signatures of discontent.

what did i find ?..44
yup,and not all those posts were different people ?

now if its as bad as said,then surely i`m missing something ?
or are the whiners just posting in the general section because they dont have a game,and therefore dont have a complaint.

so why would they all be in the general section ?

zgubilici
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
All this one on one bickering and getting on each other's case has got to end.
You can all express your opinions on the subject, but do so without insulting each other.

We need to keep all the DRM related talks in the existing DRM thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/1801042338/p/21)
Please use it for any further - civilized - discussions.

Thanks.