PDA

View Full Version : Aces' Artwork: Signing Off

Aces_High_2
05-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Dear all,

I'm sorry to announce that due to a complex combination of factors including, family, work and health issues I find myself un-able to continue my artwork activities, further development of the IL2-MAT Manager program and support for the same. When I started on these activities over three years ago it was an enjoyable extra-dimension to my gaming experience however as the scale of these activities grew and grew I found that they have seriously impacted on my enjoyment of the game and leisure time and have become more like work than a hobby. I have very much enjoyed your company and your support but I'm afraid that I have many other factors in life that demand and deserve more of my attentions. Working on the program, the website and support correspondence has proven to be too much of an energy drain on my free time and state of health to accommodate. This has been an on-going issue for some time now and on a few occasions I have considered curtailing my artwork activities but always somehow found the motivation to continue but this time I think it for the best that I wrap things up and call it a day. I shall be speaking to Grat and making arrangement to send himn the v2.20 source code. Possibly he will be in a position to further develop the program but I shall no longer be able to devote time and energies to work on the project any further.

As I have recently re-newed both my domains and payed in advance for webspace I shall leave the website running for those that would like access to my downloads.

My thanks to all that have supported and encouraged my work over the years.

Best Regards and happy flying to all.

Aces

SeaFireLIV
05-23-2005, 08:27 AM
I know the feeling, Aces_High_2 . Hope things go well for you... and never give up. Always continue doing what you love even just for yourself. And things always get better with patience.

Bearcat99
05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
!S! Aces.............. Well done.

AVG_WarHawk
05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
May your future be bright! A sad day...,Indeed.

BigC208
05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Well you had a great run with the program so far. Don't ever play the game without it.
Thanks for all the work.

Atomic_Marten
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
This is the black day for the IL-2 community. I'm not exagerrating here..

I have always rated your work in top three utilities for IL-2 series.
Thanks m8 for everything so far.
Get well, you have very well deserved it for making us happy for a long time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aero_Shodanjo
05-23-2005, 01:07 PM
S! Aces.

Sad to know that there may be no further development of your program. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

But Im sure we're all understand.

Anyway, thank you very much for this very fine software that you've created all these years.

Best regards and take care.

Dirt_312
05-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Aces "WELL DONE"

Your program has brought IL-2 to life for me and lots of others Im sure.

Thank You

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

tralkpha
05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Thank you for all the many hours you spent making the game that much more realistic for everyone. S!

Apache312
05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Thank you Aces. I appreciate your work, and will miss the updates.

Achilles_NZ
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Leigh,

Sorry to hear that your signing off on MAT Manager. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
It€s a fantastic program that adds so much to IL-2 and Pacific Fighters.
Thanks for the time and all your hard work that you put into it, as it makes a huge visual difference adding to the immersion rather than using the laughably half-arsed default markings.

Perhaps one day when things settle down for you, you might be able to turn your attention to it once again.
But until then take a break and enjoy yourself, as you sure deserve it.

All the best http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Cheers mate & S!

-HH- Beebop
05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Your program is a boon to many folks. Thank you for all your efforts.

Perhaps when BoB is released you may be interested/able to assist us there. No matter how good the defaults may be work could undoubtably make it better.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.

JunkoIfurita
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
S! Aces.

Sorry to see you go, but life is life.

Being able to look over at my wingman and see the correct Japanese numbering on the sides of his Zero is a testament to the extra dimension you brought to this game.

Thanks mate.

----

Feathered_IV
05-23-2005, 09:24 PM
For everything - Thankyou http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

woofiedog
05-23-2005, 10:28 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gifThank's for all the Great Work you have made and done for us.
Your Programs have added that extra touch that gives Realistic look to IL-2's Aircraft.
Again Thank's

MaxBruder
05-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Thank You, my friend. I certainly never play without your labor of love for the game as I'm sure many others do too. Best in life to you and yours and once again THANK YOU!

T_O_A_D
05-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Sorry to hear, but as mentioned above Never Give Up! Certain things like real life do and should rate higher than this. Good luck with it.

I do enjoy the IL2mat program and its benifits to the game now that it doens't need to be running at the same time now. I hope the code continues to be adapted to the sim as it changes.

Aces_High_2
05-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi chaps,

My sincere thanks for your messages.

Regarding IL2-MAT Manager I think that the program has been developed to a stage where it now does so much more than I ever originally conceived. My original thoughts, as many of you will remember, were solely to develop a front end program to accompany IL2-MAT and my existing markings files so that one could choose options without having to understand the myriad of possible inter-related options and having to copy files manually.

I never honestly thought that one day it would be a possibility to incorporate features such as the randomisation of aircraft numbering, the Luftwaffe bomber and RAF squadron coding and the incorporation of support for the program that came along with game version 3.03. All of these I regard as major personal milestones in the development of the program.

There are things that I've discussed with Grat in the past that we'd genuinely like to see in the program but please remember that I'm not a programmer and it's decidedly frustrating, if not impossible, work for me when trying to accomplish these things and thus I often find this apect very tiring and tedious (unlike the artwork aspect). I am, as the saying goes,"happy as a sand boy" working with the graphics and, to a certain extent, with the conceptual stuff but not so with the coding and it's this that has taken a large chunk out of my time budget often to the detriment of RL work and family issues and it's this imbalance that I'm attempting to address.

The original program was designed to be a one-off and when I started using VB it was solely as a means to an end, to design the file copy logic around a GUI which mirrored what one could accomplish with the existing manual file copy methods. I never thought that I'd spend so many hours working with the code and putting it through countless hoops to incorporate the many new features that you have in the past requested. That's not to say that it hasn't had its enjoyable and satifying moments as it most definitely has. The program only exists in its present form because of your ideas and suggestions and the dedication of the beta testers. I much value the friendships and associations that have come from this and I'm often amazed and delighted at the ingenuity and historical knowledge of the community.

I do hope that one of these days there'll be another version but with BoB coming in the future I'm also hoping that there'll not be a need for such a program and that the game designers will provide historically accurate markings from the start.

Thanks again for your comments.

See you around.

Cheers and S!

Your friend

Leigh/Aces

stansdds
05-24-2005, 04:08 AM
I know there are times when energy, time, and health become limiting factors in our lives. I thank you for all you have done for the IL2 community and I salute you. I wish you all the best and hope that things will turn around for you.

Spit14
05-24-2005, 04:16 AM
oh...thanks for all..for ever.