PDA

View Full Version : Exploding bombers: Why don't they....

WarWolfe_1
06-28-2005, 04:39 PM
When you shoot them in the bombbay with a full load http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif. I've many highlights of this, read sevreal accounts by real bomber pilots, of the "bomber next to them being hit flak and must have been in the bombbay because it was there, then it wasn't" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif.

I've tried this with sevreal guns (50, 20mm, 13mm,and 37mm), and have yet to produce the BIG BANG. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Is it because with the first hit they start droping their bombloads? Is it the Damage Model?

If so I think it needs to be corrected. Atleast dropping the bombs on the first hit from MGs and flak. Bomber pilots were forbade from doing this, they were to reach DZ with bombload at "All Cost".

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

FliegerAas
06-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Sometimes when I hit bombers in their belly (with full bomb load)they explode. And when this happens they kill the other three flying in the formation too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Esckey666
06-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Pick a condor and give it those 2000lbs on the wings. Then shoot the expose bomb

havn't tried this since 3.02 or something

NonWonderDog
06-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Better yet, take a TB-3 and give it the heaviest bomb load it can handle. It only takes a few 30 mm shells to blow the thing sky high.

This is especially entertaining in the 109Z. About 1/2 second of fire will cause a TB-3 to go up in a massive explosion if you hit the center fuselage. Every time. If you clip the wings and the bomber drops the bomb load, however, it will take a lot more ammo to kill it.

So, something like this is modelled, somehow. It just isn't very common unless you're carrying some pretty hefty ordinance.

WarWolfe_1
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I've tried the B-24 with its heavy loadout.....but nothing, drops its bombs, and i have to go for the wings......Is this just me?

I mean have tried every angel top, bottom, and sides ( and yes all at the bombbay).

J_Weaver
06-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I've had a few bombers explode in mid-air and take a few others with them, but its rare.

AerialTarget
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Yesterday on Warclouds, I was flying a Thirty Eight with two one thousand pound bombs. An Me-109 dived down at me from my two oh clock high as I was skimming the waves, about to skip bomb a ship. He dived too steeply and his wing came off. He told me he only fired out of frustration as he crashed in, not expecting to hit anything, but a round hit one of my thousand pounders and blew us both to tiny bits.

p1ngu666
06-28-2005, 05:36 PM
the iron bombs teh american and most bombers have probably have thick casing thats round, so hard to penitrate.

RAF lancs would normaly have a mix of a "cookie" which was like a oil drug filled with explosive but abit bigger (thin wall). some general purpose bombs and some incenduries, a very deadly load, for all involved.

oxygen bottles, flares could also explode http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

JG27_Stacko
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by WarWolfe_1:
...I mean have tried every angel top, bottom, and sides ( and yes all at the bombbay)...

I know this is about hitting bombbays but, I have hit several B-25s with head-on passes with mk108. This always brings them down if you get a good hit. Once I even saw a round explode clearly in the cockpit and I saw the kill message for the pilot.

As for Bombbays wasn't a bomb theoretically safe until it was armed and primed? This being done in flight by the flight engineer(removing the safety pin) and when the bomb was released a small impellor which naturally unscrewed as the bomb travelled downwards. Just a thought. And about bombers blowing up in mid-flight from flak hits, surely it could of being from hitting the oxygen supply which is highly volitile.

p1ngu666
06-28-2005, 05:42 PM
if u blast through to the explosive, its gonna go off armed or not..

WarWolfe_1
06-28-2005, 06:00 PM
ok so maybe I'm not hitting the sweet spot.....that still doesn't explain the bombers droping on the first hit though, which sould give me more than one shot at it huh?

Cragger
06-28-2005, 06:12 PM
There is a video, long ago, in a galaxy far far away.. oh wait wrong genre. Anyway back in IL2 original long ago someone had a video of a track they recorded fooling around in QMB. They took a flight of 4 P-39s against 4 Pe-8s with the super bomb (5000kg?). Anyway just he fired either one or a couple 37mm rounds from LONG range headon at the bomber group and actually hit one of them in the fuselage settings off the bomb and killing the other 3 Pe-8s in the process.

PBNA-Boosher
06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
The bombs may not be armed yet. They generally weren't until they were on the waypoint to the target, right?

SeaFireLIV
06-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Not sure under what parameters you`re fighting, but I`ve had bombers go from instantly dropping bombs to holding onto them no matter what. Perhaps you are on easy which would make the AI more likely to panic and drop if in trouble.

And contrary to popular belief bomber pilots did not always keep their bombloads at "All Cost". What pilots are ordered to do is one thing, but can be a different story if you`re on your own, scared and think you`re about to die.

Blowing up a plane this way was always rare and not something you could do as and when you want to, it doesn`t work like that.

blakduk
06-28-2005, 06:54 PM
WarWolfe_1- all i can say is keep at it. I've managed many times to hit the sweet spot on bombers and get them to explode. The easiest one to ignite IMO is a fully laden He111- attack him from his low 2 o'clock, set your sights on his bomb bay and blast away. It doesnt seem to matter about the calibre of weapon your using- i've managed it with MG's.
Its a bit like golf- you can keep swinging away and eventually achieve your goal but when you manage to hit exactly the right spot in one go it feels fantastic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FI-Aflak
06-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
Better yet, take a TB-3 and give it the heaviest bomb load it can handle. It only takes a few 30 mm shells to blow the thing sky high.

This is especially entertaining in the 109Z. About 1/2 second of fire will cause a TB-3 to go up in a massive explosion if you hit the center fuselage. Every time. If you clip the wings and the bomber drops the bomb load, however, it will take a lot more ammo to kill it.

So, something like this is modelled, somehow. It just isn't very common unless you're carrying some pretty hefty ordinance.

1/2 second burst from teh 109Z will cause an aircraft carrier to explode in an instant.

That plane has an armament that is way past 15 on a scale of 1 to ludicrous.

tjaika1910
06-29-2005, 06:24 AM
I recently downloaded œber Quick Mission Generetor and played around with it.

I put one polish P-11 against 250+ Pe 8 with fab5000. low altitude. To get fps around 20 I played at 1/4 speed! I surviced and all Pe8 went down. Mushroom clouds everywhere. Didnt see it properly though, as frames was best measured in minutes not seconds when they all exploded.

tigertalon
06-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey tjaika1910, that would be a nice screenshot. Have any?

tjaika1910
06-29-2005, 07:06 AM
No I didnt take track of it, but it could be easily repeated. Not many frames too choose from at that speed but I remember one with a lot of mushrooms and and endless cloud of bebries, some still resembled the Pe 8.

73GIAP_Milan
06-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Go to QMB, set up a mission against a few He111's with standard bombload and fire just behind the cockpit into the fuselage, preferably from below, 3 or 9 o'clock positions..

BOOM!

atleast they did in 3.04...

horseback
06-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Did it in-game in an La-5FN vs He-111s in the original Il-2 game, imported the Soviet fighter campaign from Il-2 into FB several moons ago, and repeated the feat on the same mission (45 deg semi headon deflection shot from less than 170m both times. I botched a clean headon approach from above twice). On each occasion, flew below/behind the explosion unscathed.

As I recall, my cannon rounds hit right at the center of the right wing root...

So, yeah, bombers do, or at least did, explode sometimes when you nail the bomb bay area.

cheers

horseback

avimimus
06-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I rammed a 5000kg head on in my Fw-190A8: It took out the formation.

WarWolfe_1
06-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Not sure under what parameters you`re fighting, but I`ve had bombers go from instantly dropping bombs to holding onto them no matter what. Perhaps you are on easy which would make the AI more likely to panic and drop if in trouble.

And contrary to popular belief bomber pilots did not always keep their bombloads at "All Cost". What pilots are ordered to do is one thing, but can be a different story if you`re on your own, scared and think you`re about to die.

Blowing up a plane this way was always rare and not something you could do as and when you want to, it doesn`t work like that.

I'm not to sure what you mean by easy....but I have FullReal set on....Unless you mean AI pilot level I never fool with it. guess i should try that though?

And as to real bombers, at All Cost i beleive was just short of endagnering the crew is what i took that statement to mean.....Just think if every bomber in the war that was hit by a fighter bullet or two and they droped their bombload where would the leave BomberCommand and the Eight at.

msalama
06-30-2005, 01:16 AM
It does happen. A while ago I killed a fully-laden He-111 from below at _extremely_ short range w/ my P-39's 37mm... a last-second lucky shot straight into his bomb bay... and KA-BLAMMO! Took my left wing too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

new-fherathras
06-30-2005, 02:57 AM
i explode alot in the b-25, never in the a-20 or he-111 though