PDA

View Full Version : PS3 version: what firmware?

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 03:44 AM
What firmware is the PS3 version likely to require?
I'm on 3.41 right now and it's not feasible for me to update (any PS3 user should be wary of updates these days) - will I be able to play brotherhood?

magesupermaster
09-23-2010, 04:09 AM
The latest firmware is 3.50.

You will need to update your PS3 in order to play online.

Question answered?

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 04:31 AM
I don't intend to play online. I do however want to play brotherhood single-player.

magesupermaster
09-23-2010, 04:39 AM
If you want to play the SP part of the game, I think you will not be requested to update..

shpapy
09-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by magesupermaster:
If you want to play the SP part of the game, I think you will not be requested to update..

nope... you will need prob 3.42
since youre a jailbreaker check the lists of compatible games when its released.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Sony have in the past required developers to use the latest firmware though, so I am wondering if I can get an official response on this matter. Otherwise i'll have to cancel my preorder and instead rely on others to tell me what firmware it requires before risking purchase.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by shpapy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by magesupermaster:

nope... you will need prob 3.42
since youre a jailbreaker check the lists of compatible games when its released. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it so wrong to want linux back?
Anyway, i'd rather not have to hack the game in order to run it - that's something I thought only PC users have to do.

Please don't discuss the backup manager in this thread either (just a friendly request, I know I don't have the authority to demand that). I do not intend to use such software (only my own linux kernel launcher) and do not want to see this thread locked before I can get an official response.

magesupermaster
09-23-2010, 05:07 AM
As I said, the latest firmware is 3.50.

All it does is support 3D.

Is that too risky for you?

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 05:10 AM
It also blocks a load of stuff (not just PSjailbreak/PSgroove but also a bunch of third-party USB devices such as keyboards and controllers).
It is highly unlikely it includes any new API calls that brotherhood requires, and so technically brotherhood should run on older firmwares, but it may run a check on the version and refuse to start on older firmwares if sony have requested such.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 05:20 AM
So, just wondering if there is any chance of an official comment on this one.

a yoi yoi hoy mr_shade!

magesupermaster
09-23-2010, 05:21 AM
You didn't have to double post, you know..

And Mr_Shade doesn't work inside Ubisoft if I'm not mistaken.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 05:23 AM
So far as i'm aware mr_shade is an employee of ubisoft whose role is to moderate the forum and liase between the company and users.

Is that incorrect?

FaTaLMeTaL
09-23-2010, 08:20 AM
have you put the jailbracker because i know that you want/have to hack your ps3 i guess that you'll have to update it...

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Not quite sure how to parse that post.

Yes, I have a teensy chip in the post which I plan to use to run linux on my PS3 again. This only works in firmware 3.41, so I can not update.

Brotherhood should not technically require any new API calls in firmware 3.42 or 3.50, but it is possible sony will demand that it requires newer firmware to install or run.

I therefore want to know from ubisoft if brotherhood will need newer firmware to run or not. I could always get brotherhood, dump it to the harddrive and hack the firmware check, but would rather just play it without hacks if possible.

Rene_Led
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by magesupermaster:
As I said, the latest firmware is 3.50.

All it does is support 3D.
QUOTE]

<span class="ev_code_RED">It enables 3d Bluray playback, some useless thing for facebook and Grief Reporting messages in your inbox. If you get a spam message or anything of the sort highlight the message and press triangle and scroll to 'Grief Report'
@Gareth, if you want to see what FW is coming for PS3, then look into playstation.com, the have latest FW updates at the bottom of the page http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif</span>

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I already know what the latest firmware version is and what it does, that isn't what I was asking - my question is "what will brotherhood require?"

As it's probably now just in the final stages of development I can't picture them suddenly requiring the new API calls in the newer firmware, but if it's not yet went to the pressing factory I can picture sony demanding that it use the latest firmware.

caswallawn_2k7
09-23-2010, 09:53 AM
unfortunately sony are going to push 3.42 with all big releases, if you ever want a console to be hacked now you have to do without in order to keep your hack.

look how far behind the hacked PSP's are on the officail firmwares (sure there are fixes to get round that) but in a system like the PS3 dont expect anything to happen so quickly, also I would like to say if you actually paid for the PS3 jail break (more so if you got the first version $150 for a $5 usb stick with stolen software really?) you wasted your cash as you could see a mile off it was only going to work for a limited window and due to the limited access it would never lead to anything on the scale of firmware emulation and custom firmwares on the PSP.

the fact is these firms claim they will update the jail break to work with newer firmwares, but since the jail break is the clone of Sony's service key no body outside sony created the key and it is quite easy for Sony to change the key code meaning all the jailbreaks become useless in all future updates.

so if you want a jail break PS3 and want to play the latest PS3 games your going to have to do what a lot of PSP owners had to do, buy a second one and have one for homebrew and one for gaming.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
unfortunately sony are going to push 3.42 with all big releases, if you ever want a console to be hacked now you have to do without in order to keep your hack.

I can accept that at some point new releases are not going to work until there's hacks to load them. But I would like to know if possible whether Brotherhood will be one of those that won't work. That seems a reasonable request surely?

look how far behind the hacked PSP's are on the officail firmwares (sure there are fixes to get round that) but in a system like the PS3 dont expect anything to happen so quickly,

Yeah, and that's a shame too - it's put me off buying any newer UMD releases, especially as some specifically include "anti-CFW" measures such as randomly deleting files from flash.

also I would like to say if you actually paid for the PS3 jail break (more so if you got the first version $150 for a $5 usb stick with stolen software really?)

I ordered a blank teensy (atmel chip with a USB port) and plan to install the open-source PSgroove software on it.
Also, what "stolen software"? The PSjailbreak does not use any sony code, it exploits a buffer overflow bug in the USB stack to insert arbitary code. It is not just a standard USB stick with a bunch of files on it.

you wasted your cash as you could see a mile off it was only going to work for a limited window and due to the limited access it would never lead to anything on the scale of firmware emulation and custom firmwares on the PSP.

It'll work so long as I don't update http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
It's also already lead to simple firmware emulation and is opening up the rest of the system for more exploration.

the fact is these firms claim they will update the jail break to work with newer firmwares, but since the jail break is the clone of Sony's service key no body outside sony created the key and it is quite easy for Sony to change the key code meaning all the jailbreaks become useless in all future updates.

It's not a clone of sony's jigstick at all. It emulates a USB hub and plugging and unplugging of various devices with incredibly long names to trigger a buffer overflow. Of course sony can (and have) patch it by fixing that buffer overflow or moving stuff around in RAM.

so if you want a jail break PS3 and want to play the latest PS3 games your going to have to do what a lot of PSP owners had to do, buy a second one and have one for homebrew and one for gaming.
On my PSP if I really want a new game I end up ripping the ISO from the UMD and patching it. I could do the same for brotherhood if absolutely required (dump to harddrive, hack the SFO and do any other patching required) - but i'd rather just stick it in and play. There's no technical reason why it needs the new firmware as by this point the engine will be pretty much 99% complete and I imagine the devs are only going to be doing minor tweaks and testing before release.

caswallawn_2k7
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
all I can say to you comment that this is not a clone of then Sony service centre stick, look on the PS hax site, the reverse engineered the original device (and it is no secret that all the new ones are a clone of this original over priced device) and the even managed to get the ID of the tester who sold the device out of it.

but still you claim they have full access to the console with this device, but did you actually read the article on linux on the PS3 using jail break? all they have achieved is making the menu option to install show, if you try to open the menu option it instantly throws up and error and kicks you out, as Sony removed files that were used for the linux options and there is no easy way with the limited access they have to put them back in the console.

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Please do not post information on illegal activities.

SupremeCaptain
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I like Gareth. He is a cool guy.

If there was an update required, could you just bypass that?

GarethNelson
09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by SupremeCaptain:
I like Gareth. He is a cool guy.

If there was an update required, could you just bypass that?

Yes, unless there's some other sneaky tricks used to enforce it - but i'd rather not have to.

Mr_Shade
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Posting asking for information needed to use illegal methods to play games - and expecting an answer?

Even IF that's not your reason for asking - such information is helpful to others who do intended to use it for illegal purposes.

Any further chat about piracy or methods to bypass any of the consoles copy protection will result in a ban..

End of story.. and end of thread.

If you wish to continue this discussion, please PM me, however as stated - the latest firmware is required to play online, the firmware required to play 'offline' is unknown at present...