PDA

View Full Version : Letters from the front with the IJA in new Guinea

Saburo_0
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
O-Ka-San,
(Dear Mother)

How are you? I hope that the summer heat & humidity have not been too hard on you.
But Autumn must be just around the corner in Japan. New Guinea could never be as
beautiful as Kyoto when the leaves change.
Today was a very exciting day. The Foreign Devils tried to catch us by surprise. They
sent two groups of planes to attack our base, but we were notified in time to conduct
an emergency take-off. It was a glorious battle, six of us against forty of them.

Tai-i Sumino led his Chutai into the dogfight right over our base. The three of them fought
like tigers destroying many enemy planes. But with so many of the foreign devils spraying
machine gun & cannon rounds everywhere it was inevitable that they would be lost.
Tai-i Sumino was a brave leader and an example for us all. Shiga & Kato perished at his
side while clawing the enemy out of the sky.

I led my Chutai out to sea to gain altitude before striking back at the enemy. From above
I dove like a Falcon and quickly damaged two of the enemy. As you know Ma-chan
(Sho-i Matsumura) is a very aggressive pilot so I signaled for him to finish off the damaged
enemies; while I & Sho-i Higashiyama covered him from above. Ma-chan made quick work
of the enemy & increased his score to seven! He's turning into a very good pilot & no doubt will
lead his own Chutai soon, though I'll be sorry to loose him as a wingman!

My plan was to circle around from the ocean and catch the Americans unawares on their
way back to their base. Taking down the two stragglers had cost us time, but I was determined
that my plan must succeed. The base called over the radio that all planes should return to base
but you know how O-To-San (father) always says that my hearing is not so good. I was worried
about being reprimanded, and concerned that my wingmen might be brought down by enemy ground fire. It is such a great responsibility, leading men into battle. But everything seemed unimportant except avenging Tai-i Sumino's death.

So we continued on in search of revenge and finally caught up with the retreating enemy planes
as they neared their base & prepared to land. They were caught completely by surprise. I quickly
destroyed three of the enemy airplanes, the last exploding in a brilliant ball of flame! Then I broke
off with Higashiyama at my side. We cleared their anti-aircraft fire & none of the enemy pursued us! I couldn’t believe it. Well if they didn’t have any fight left in them perhaps it was time to show
them our martial spirit is not lacking! So we went back for more and I caught one of the beasts
on his own & sent his plane down in flames with the last of my ammunition.

When we returned to base I was relieved to find Matsumura there waiting for us, we had lost him in the confusion of the battle. But he was waiting as I taxied to a stop with that big un-military grin of his.

Mother, you’ll be happy to know that instead of being reprimanded I have been promoted to Chu-I
And my comrades awarded me a signed Hi-no-Maru which I have hung above my bunk. It is my
Second most cherished possession. I sit below it as I write this while looking at the picture of you and Father beneath the cherry blossoms. Tell Father that our ancestors may not have been Samurai but I shall do my best for them and for Japan so they may be honored in the afterlife.

Your son,
Chu-I Kitagawa Yosuke

Athosd
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Great stuff - please continue.

Had to chuckle at the "so many of the foreign devils spraying machine gun & cannon rounds everywhere" comment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Salute

Athos

ElAurens
12-06-2004, 05:00 AM
They were presumeably attacked by P39s?

Saburo_0, any idea of the date of this letter?

If his estimates of US aircraft strength can be taken as truth, it must have been late in the New Guinea campaign.

Athosd
12-06-2004, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
They were presumeably attacked by P39s?

Saburo_0, any idea of the date of this letter?

If his estimates of US aircraft strength can be taken as truth, it must have been late in the New Guinea campaign. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was a work of fiction, relating a mission flown in PF (after the fashion of Ian Boys old war stories) - quite well written.

chris455
12-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Yes, it is unlike other Japanese accounts I have read. It sounds somewhat contrived.
No offense intended Saburo, it just doesn't sound like authentic wartime correspondence.
Will you tell us it's source?

Saburo_0
12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm sorry, yes this is VERY CONTRIVED. Just entertaining myself. And indeed they were p-39s!

Athos,
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh I do have a short article by a Raiden pilot that I've been trying to translate with my sife's help. If I get it donw I'll post it with the source so ya know it's real.

ednew
12-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Very enjoyable reading, Thanks & more please.

Tdavart
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Very well written.

Sincerely,
a foreign devil http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif