PDA

View Full Version : Nose art question?



Clannsman
02-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi,
I have two questions about nose art in the game:

1.I found a picture which i re-sized to the corect size for nose art and put it in the nose art folder.This did'nt seem to work so i checked again and found my picture to be a JPEG file and not a BITMAP file like the existing ones,im guessing this the reason why i cant find it when i go to the aircraft customisation section in-game....how do i change a JPEG into a BITmap file?

2.How do i allow Noseart to feature on other aircraft apart from the P-40 ??

Many thanks.

Copperhead311th
02-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Clannsman:
Hi,
I have two questions about nose art in the game:

1.I found a picture which i re-sized to the corect size for nose art and put it in the nose art folder.This did'nt seem to work so i checked again and found my picture to be a JPEG file and not a BITMAP file like the existing ones,im guessing this the reason why i cant find it when i go to the aircraft customisation section in-game....how do i change a JPEG into a BITmap file?

2.How do i allow Noseart to feature on other aircraft apart from the P-40 ??

Many thanks.

1. Nose art files in the sim must be 256 Pixel Wide x 512 Pixels High.

2. the sims graphic engine will not see some shades of gray. if you got in your nose art folder or regiments folder and look at the imgages you see the color i'm talking about used as a background color. the RGB value for this is either R: 206 G: 206 B: 206 or R: 129 G:129 B: 129. (i prefer the 206 RGB as it's a lighter shade of gray.)

3. You must save them in 256 color or they will not show in game. (i'll work in 16 million color in paintshop pro 9, the reduce them down to 256 when i'm finnished.)

4. Finally they have to be in .bmp format.

I use paint shop pro 9 for skining aircraft and doing regiments & nose arts.

A final tip....whenever possible use a CLEAN img with a good resiltuion. If it's very pixiliated...you won't get good results.

that's ptetty much it.

Billy_BigBoy
02-01-2008, 03:57 PM
YES! At last!
This is the time promote my my favorite thread! (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9501060782?r=9501060782#9501060782)

1. <STRIKE>The answer is somewhere in that thread.</STRIKE> edit: above
2. The P-38, P-47, B-25, B-29, B-24, P-40 and the A-20 has a noseart option. Maybe the P-51 too, I can't remember. The B-29 and B-24 aren't flyable btw.

Clannsman
02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.
All the pictures i have are in JPEG format not Bmp.Is there a way of changing this?

Or how do you get pictures in Bmp.format?

Any news on making the Noseart apear as an option for 'say' The Huricane?

Thanks

Copperhead311th
02-01-2008, 04:58 PM
let's got though the process i use when making regimentals and nose arts.

1. go into you nose art folder and copy one of the .bmp images from there, (dosent matter wich) and paste that copy into your editing program, Paint shop pro, photo shop, or gimp are popular programs here. For this i'll use the nose art 18sqn_NEI_Donald_Duck as it's the 1st one in the folder.

http://webpages.charter.net/leespace/Misic/Il-2/18sqn_NEI_Donald_Duck.bmp

(note: the FILE NAME IS IMPORTANT! there can be no spaces in the name so underline between each word in the name, if you leave spaces in the name the engine won't see it)

2. Increase colors to 16 million.

3. Using the eraser tool remove/erase the image (donald duck in this case) this will leave you with a color area or a tansparrent area inside the grey 256 x 512 rectangular box..

4. using the color picker tool, mouse the tool over the grey area RGB: 206, 206,206 OR 129, 129, 129 and pick that color.

5. next useing the flood fill tool or paint brush tool fill in the area you have erased with the color you selescted using the color picker.
you should end up with this :
http://webpages.charter.net/leespace/Misic/Il-2/Blank%20Nose%20art%20backgroup.bmp

6. import the image you want to make into your nose art. Since i needed to do this anyway for the 311ths Regimental i made a nose art for he Squadrons regimental.



7. Resize that img to smaller than 256 Pixels wide. Ideally i would only use 256 pxels by 256 pixel as this usually gets the best results and shows better in game. now paste that Image into the grey area where the original nose art was.

at this point you should have something like this:
311th Virtual Fighter Squadron Insignia
http://webpages.charter.net/leespace/Misic/Il-2/311th%20VFS%20Nose%20art%20regimental.bmp

Ok just a few more steps.

8. Reduce the color back down from 16 milloin to 256 colors.

9. make sure the final work is 256 wide by 512 high.

10 Save file As: a .bmp file make sure that there are NO SPACES in the file name, using _ or - to seperate words in the file name.
then save the image file and place it back in the nose arts flder.

11. Check to ingame to make sure you can see the image. the way i do this is to sleect multi player, create server, and make my own game using a stock dog fight map. since the stock maps have all the flyables on the map. pick a plane that allows nose arts...and check to see if it apears.

12. enjoy. hope that Helps.

if your stil having problems pm me and i'll give you my email send the image to me and make one for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stiletto-
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/ghetto_action.jpg

SeaFireLIV
02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Only way to make nose art appear on planes that don`t historically have them (like Hurricanes) is to the edit a spare skin yourself. Like I`ve had too.


Like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/p39red.jpg

and like this.. tastefully censored. bah!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/toplessmig.jpg

The image definition is still a bit block, but i`m working on it.

Tater-SW-
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Note that in the example above, the gray rectangle has the art at the top. The bottom half is for the RIGHT side of the plane, so you can make art for either side.

Clannsman
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your time chaps,i'll work through your stages and suss it out as i go. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Copperhead311th
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Only way to make nose art appear on planes that don`t historically have them (like Hurricanes) is to the edit a spare skin yourself. Like I`ve had too.


Like this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/p39red.jpg

and like this.. tastefully censored. bah!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/toplessmig.jpg

The image definition is still a bit block, but i`m working on it.

Is it just me or does any one else find Photograpsh for nose art .....tacky?

Personaly i prefer drawings over photo's. As photo's don't quite look....well...right.

and historically they were PAINTED on by hand.
and photo's tend to not have that look at all.

wana a real kicker some time? just llok in your net cash at some of the stuff ppl put on thier planes. rofl.

altho i gota admit whe i found that Billfish Pilot skin in my netcach i almost had to go take a cold shower. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif lol
damn i miss that pilot skin. lost forever to a had drive failure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

SeaFireLIV
02-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Sure photographs aren`t realistic. Actual art`s much better, but I was experimenting with what could be done. So I grabbed this at random and using photoshop tried to see what was possible.

I could put my own personal art up, but didn`t have time to sift through my stuff then stick it on a scanner and re-edit thru photoshop.

Also as an artist I often have to work from photographs for some work, especially figure art of nudes. getting a model isn`t free like when I was at college. Photographic reference is often used in cases like that. I just did the same process to the pin up, but didn`t draw it this time. It`s not such a big deal.

Sue me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Copperhead311th
02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Sure photographs aren`t realistic. Actual art`s much better, but I was experimenting with what could be done. So I grabbed this at random and using photoshop tried to see what was possible.

I could put my own personal art up, but didn`t have time to sift through my stuff then stick it on a scanner and re-edit thru photoshop.

Also as an artist I often have to work from photographs for some work, especially figure art of nudes. getting a model isn`t free like when I was at college. Photographic reference is often used in cases like that. I just did the same process to the pin up, but didn`t draw it this time. It`s not such a big deal.

Sue me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I always liked the one you did with the chick on the ground running from the plane. Been a while since you had any work posted here. Is your website still up?
And i always ment to ask it you were working commercialy, are makeing a living on your work.