PDA

View Full Version : Question about targeting and torpedo's on normal

SecondDeal
06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Can anyone explain what the process should be for shooting down ships to someone who is using the Normal diffiucutly settings(for now)

I've seen and read all these advanced stuff for tartgeting etc, but its only used if you used the advanved system. I'm just trying to get used to the game for now.

I just recently read and found out about opening the torp tubes, that should help me a good bit.

When I fire on a target I try to get in a posisiton where I'm shooting perpindular to the boat's path. I just place the periscope on him and shoot. I genearlly try to aim for the box to account for the ship's movment.

Should I be useing the lock command? If I use the lock command I can't move the periscope, and just aims directly at the middle of the ship.

Is that what I should be doing as opposed to trying to aim for bow of the ship?

I'm really enjoying this game, first sim game for me. I can't wait to get everything under controll so I can start cranking up the realism levels.

Any thoughts on how to improve would be appreciated.

Tharty

SecondDeal
06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Can anyone explain what the process should be for shooting down ships to someone who is using the Normal diffiucutly settings(for now)

I've seen and read all these advanced stuff for tartgeting etc, but its only used if you used the advanved system. I'm just trying to get used to the game for now.

I just recently read and found out about opening the torp tubes, that should help me a good bit.

When I fire on a target I try to get in a posisiton where I'm shooting perpindular to the boat's path. I just place the periscope on him and shoot. I genearlly try to aim for the box to account for the ship's movment.

Should I be useing the lock command? If I use the lock command I can't move the periscope, and just aims directly at the middle of the ship.

Is that what I should be doing as opposed to trying to aim for bow of the ship?

I'm really enjoying this game, first sim game for me. I can't wait to get everything under controll so I can start cranking up the realism levels.

Any thoughts on how to improve would be appreciated.

Tharty

MikeJW
06-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Okay, here's some tips.
1. Get as close as possible
2. Set T-1 torps to fast
3. Always open the torp door before firing (Q). Otherwise the delay may cause you to miss.
4. I use magnetic pistol even though it's very unstable early in the war. That way I dont have to worry about setting up perfectly off the beam. Set torps to run 1 meter under keel.
5. It's normally a good idea to lock onto a target. When you get comfortable you can use your cross hair to aim at certain points of the ship.

Casual targeting is very easy. Get in close especially if they're zig-zagging. I try to get within 1500 meters on merchants, no more than 500-600 on destroyers because they're fast and are more likely to see the wake from a T-1. Just lock onto a target, set your torpedo parematers in the TDC and open the door(s). Watch your gyro setting to the right of the periscope view. The closer you can get to 000 on the gyros the more accurate you are. Fire! You dont want to aim for the bow as most of the importany stuff is near the engines and vulnerable points vary. Dont worry, you'll find them with experience. I always lock the ship while I mess with the TDC or nav map but on ships that I know the vulnerable spots I'll unlock and move the crosshair accordingly.

SecondDeal
06-06-2005, 08:29 PM
MikeJW,

Thanks for heads up, I'll have to go try it out now.

Tharty