PDA

View Full Version : Flaps on a slider?

Pentallion
04-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I've found some people like to put flaps on a slider, especially for Spitfires. Seems they can turn really well this way. I don't know if this is a fair thing to do. If it gives realistic results then I am okay with it. If it is only an exploit, then I am not fine with it. But I don't know if that's what makes them turn so well or not. So I thought I'd ask people here.

Does anyone here use flaps on a slider?
Does it help you turn better than flaps on a keyboard?
Is putting flaps on a slider an exploit that makes flap work in an unrealistic manner or is it simply making flaps perform more realistically, like Track IR does for head movements?

Bearcat99
04-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Flaps on a slider is not cheating.... it is actually more relistic since flaps were usually operated by a lever as opposed to a button.

Von_Zero
04-17-2005, 11:33 AM
i have flaps set on one of my X45's rotaries.
Yes, they are more usefull, since you can precisely adjust the angle at wich they are deployed, and ose only the necesary amount instead of fully deploying them to a certain position only. I honestly don't know if they only had 3 positions in real life (combat, takeoff, landing), but i doubt it (with the exception of planes like Spit, Hurri, etc).
Well is difficult to call it an exploit or not, since it is an assignable command in the hotas menu, so it doesn't imply using "unfair features" of the game, most of the planes in game use the "normal" flap configuration, and thus, removing it, would disatvantage 90% of the planes in game. I'd say only the best way to "solve" his it would be to restrict the position for the planes benefiting from this. In other words, make then "ignore" all other positions of the slider, except 0% (full up) and 100% (full down)

Wilburnator
04-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I use the right toe brake funtion on my CH pedals to control flaps. While I wouldn't say this allows me to turn any better, it certainly is more convenient. I can use just the slightest bit of flaps if I want, rather than going all the way to combat setting. It also eliminates the mistake of hitting the wrong button and applying more flaps when you wanted less, or accidentally dropping the gear, which I used to do all the time.

How realistic is this? I have no idea, but I would guess at least SOME of the A/C we have in the game would have had this ability to "go between" the hard settings. The only planes I've ever flown were my Dad's Luscombe, which had no flaps, and a Cessna 152, which had flaps you could set anywhere you pleased.

To someone who would say this is a cheat, I would say then that alot of stuff that goes on must be cheating as well. To a guy flying with the keyboard maybe a joystick is a cheat. There are people who insist TrackIR is a cheat. You could go on and on. I feel that flaps on a slider falls under the catagory of properly ssetting up your controls. If you have a spare slider or rotary, use it.

Moosehog1
04-17-2005, 11:36 AM
when i got my x-52 joystick i put them on a slider.
i like it so much i posted it on the boards.

Moosehog

3.JG51_BigBear
04-17-2005, 11:40 AM
In real life planes generally have two manuevering flap settings (combat in game), takeoff setting, and landing setting but on many planes there is a range of setting in between these for more precise control. In real life the spitfire only had landing flaps and the ability to open combat flaps at any speed in game is totally unrealistic. It would destroy the flaps and prossibly the plane in the process.

stansdds
04-17-2005, 11:44 AM
I know for a fact that real Corsairs had hard flap settings in 10 degree increments from 0 to 50 degrees.

LEBillfish
04-17-2005, 11:46 AM
First off I "don't "know"" however I would doubt flaps had an infinate number of positions as I'd suspect they had notched stops or detents, so moved to the stop hands too busy r/l to be messing with flaps constantly...

However, here I suppose you could set them to a slider....Is it a *whispers the word* "cheat"? Doubtful and who cares as I'll take using my hands for other things vs running flaps...Basic positions work for me none/combat/take-off/landing....and never needed them on a spit.

SO matter of preferance I suppose, and see no fault or foul in it.

Buster82
04-17-2005, 12:35 PM
when i saw the title of this thread i thought this was going to be another thread like the trim on a slider kinda thread that RBJ used to do http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

WOLFMondo
04-17-2005, 01:34 PM
I had my flaps on a slider. I kept jamming them. I put them back to the keyboard.

Bearcat99
04-17-2005, 02:16 PM
My flaps are on the rudder rocker of my X-45..... It is good to have throttle flaps and pitch on one hand. (Although I moverd my pitch back to the throttle slider of m MSFFB2)

IL2-chuter
04-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Spits and Hellcats only had up and down, that much I know. I think the two other positions were added to the Hellcat (it was released with landing only) because it otherwise turned so poorly.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

And hey, what about Hellcat landing gear speed brakes (just like the Corsair). DISCRIMINATION! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Pentallion
04-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Thank you guys (and gal)! I feel much better about this now.