PDA

View Full Version : Optional Gunsights, Imperial Units?

AlmightyTallest
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with these questions. Are there new gunsights that can be selected for aircraft in PF 3.03 stand alone? If so, how would I do it, and for what aircraft does this work for?

Also, when the speedbar is shown, is there any way in the config.ini or anything to have it read speed and altitude in Imperial units?

AlmightyTallest
01-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with these questions. Are there new gunsights that can be selected for aircraft in PF 3.03 stand alone? If so, how would I do it, and for what aircraft does this work for?

Also, when the speedbar is shown, is there any way in the config.ini or anything to have it read speed and altitude in Imperial units?

icrash
01-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I don't know about the first, my computer is out of action & haven't played for a couple of weeks much less patched to 3.03 As for the second, you can bind a key to change the units in the speed bar. Go to the screen where you bind the controls, there should be a command there to do it, but it isn't bound to any key. Mine is to the number pad 8 on the key board.

Athosd
01-04-2005, 07:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlmightyTallest:
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me out with these questions. Are there new gunsights that can be selected for aircraft in PF 3.03 stand alone? If so, how would I do it, and for what aircraft does this work for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not aware of this as a feature - certainly wasn't in the readme. A few types could definitely benefit from this though *cough* F2A *cough*.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Also, when the speedbar is shown, is there any way in the config.ini or anything to have it read speed and altitude in Imperial units? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aside from cycling through the displayed units (which default to Km/h and metres) I'm pretty sure there is no way, currently, to get Imperial units.

Perhaps, in a future patch, the selected speedbar units could be recorded (as is the gunsight toggle view status) so that once set to Imperial the game "remembers" that state when restarted.

Cheers

Athos

AlmightyTallest
01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
icrash, it works!!

lol, I always thought that when it said "Toggle Speedbar" that it meant it toggles it on or off. It certainly does toggle between metric, KIAS, and Imperial units.

Thanks for the assist! I think they should state this in the readme or something. Should make a lot of people happy to use units more familiar to them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athosd, I know what you mean but since it's pretty simple to bind this to a key, it's just a simple matter of toggling the desired units quickly before takeoff.

I had heard that there were other gunsight options, just wondered if anyone knew anything about this. Perhaps it was just a rumor and I wanted to find out if it's true or not.

Tully__
01-05-2005, 03:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlmightyTallest:
I had heard that there were other gunsight options, just wondered if anyone knew anything about this. Perhaps it was just a rumor and I wanted to find out if it's true or not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The P-51D (and one of the spitfires?) has a lead computing sight. You can toggle the mode from the standard reticle to the lead computing reticle using the "Toggle Sight Mode (Auto)" control listed in the bombsight controls list. IIRC there's no default key, you'll have to assign one.

Athosd
01-05-2005, 05:29 AM
The K14 lead computing gunsight is available on the P51D20NT and YP80 (I don't think its on a Spit - unless added in 3.03), it is a feature of the Aces expansion pack.
As Tully pointed out it needs at least one key defined "Toggle Sight Mode" - this will cycle through fixed, fixed + gyro and gyro only sight modes.
The sight can also be adjusted for the targets wingspan - to use this feature you'll need to assign keys for 'Adjust sight right' and 'Adjust sight left'.
Finally it can also be adjusted for range - the keys to assign are 'Increase sight distance' and 'Decrease sight distance'.
All of these keys also work for bomb sights (though differently).

Enjoy

Athos

Bearcat99
01-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Do your self a huge favor.. ome day go into the controls menu.. take about an hour or two to go through each of those commands and find out what they do in tha manual.. (It is on a PDF file on disk two.. most of the commands are the same from FB with the exception of the ones added for PF) This is why IMO it is so important to have more than one controller so you can map a lot of this stuff and use it. In a Pony? Take 25% fuel and drop tanks.. when you get to comabat drop your tanks.. you will have more fuel than if you had just taken 25% with no tanks. Lots of goodies here...... as a total package inspite of its deficiencies it absolutely rocks the house.

AlmightyTallest
01-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for the help. The P-51 gyro site is a really nice feature. That must have been the alternative gunsights I've been hearing about.

I went through and mapped many things, makes PF a whole new experience http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for all the help, I do appreciate it.